Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recommendations: small mixer with USB interface

Hello all,

I can foresee more virtual/remote collaboration in my musical life in the future (not just virus-related), as well as becoming road crew for my kids' musical activities. I'd therefore like to buy a simple mixer that can act as an audio interface as well as drive a live PA.

Requirements:

2+channels and 2+ stereo line channels

2-channel (or more?) USB audio interface - must be class-compliant and iPhone compatible

Built-in FX

1+ post-fade send (to built-in FX) and 1+ pre-fade send

Hi-Z input for guitar/bass

Internal power supply preferred.

I don't know much about this sector-I've had a quick look round, but most solutions seem to omit at least one feature.

Cheers, Mike.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yamaha MG XU series is about the only quality one (and A+H ZED) these days that still have a bespoke ASIO driver, instead of 1. the USB Compliant Audio Codec used by Microsoft, or the ASIO4ALL drivers.

I doubt you'll get any small format mixer with BOTH pre and post send anything! hahaha, although there may be something out there with a huge price tag that will...

The Allen and Heath ZED 10i FX also has a ASIO driver and will give you 4 USB I/O channels. I know these are more channels than asked for, but they are about the only two small format mixers I'd recommend TBH.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

More than you want but a good value. Ticks all your boxes. I paid 1/2 price for mine

https://www.altoprofessional.com/images/products/Live802_Angle_weblg_award.png

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Interesting timing...I was looking for something very similar last week.

Here are the possibilities I came across.

1. Soundcraft Notepad 12FX - 12-channel - 4 combo inputs, HiZ on two I believe, two pairs of 1/4" line inputs, 1 pair RCA inputs & USB return (summed together), pre-fader send, dedicated stereo FX return inputs built-in reverb/delay/chorus, four-channel 24-bit 44.1/48.0 kHz USB interface (supposedly low latency too). Only one send, built-in fx are bypassed when the AUX send is used. Routing is interesting - see below.

Works with iOS, *but* if you're doing Facebook Live/the Camera app/Instagram Live (summed mono), you're limited to USB channels 1 and 2 which are locked to combo inputs 1/2 for livestreams. That's because they use the "system" audio setting, which always detects the first two inputs of any device. USB 3/4 are selectable via a Mac/PC application from the main stereo mix, inputs 3/4, stereo inputs 5/6, or 7/8. A user on another forum reported that the selection "sticks" so once you choose which channels USB 3/4 will be from, that selection will stay and work with iOS (there's no native app for selecting channels on that platform). https://www.soundcraft.com/en/products/notepad-12fx

2. Yamaha MG10XU - 10-channel - 4 combo inputs, three pairs of 1/4" or RCA line inputs (9/10 is selectable line or USB return), built-in SPX effects that aren't bad (reverbs, delays, chorus, flanger, phaser [more like a modified flanger], distortion, pitch shift). Post-fader (I think) FX send output doesn't mute internal effects according to a guy on Gearslutz, but I haven't been able to check it myself as I don't have any external effects units). That could be a plus. Stereo 24-bit 192-kHz USB output that's fully class-compliant and works with everything on iOS except for Skype and Facetime (and NOTHING works with those, not Lightning mics, nothing at all - it's an app issue). FX return takes up one stereo pair of inputs. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MG10XU--yamaha-mg10xu-10-channel-mixer-with-usb-and-fx

3. Soundcraft Signature MTK-12 - iOS compatible, 14-out/12-in up to 48 kHz USB interface, built in FX, three Aux sends, two groups, internal power supply. If you don't need something to be super compact, don't mind 48kHz being the max sample rate, and can afford it, this would be my recommendation. Seems it would have everything you want. I don't know how well it works for Facebook Live and things where you can't select the inputs as I don't know what the main mix USB routing is; it would have to be channels 1/2 for system audio to see it right. Of course you could always use an audio interface and just connect your stereo outputs to that and still have a nice multi-track mixer for other apps etc. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Sig12MT--soundcraft-signature-12-mtk-mixer-and-audio-interface-with-effects

I ended up buying the MG10XU because I found a good price from my previously-local music store, and because I need to use it with Facebook Live. It works fine with that, Instagram Live, the Camera app, and Garageband. I haven't tried it it with anything else. I'll probably review it here on the forum after I've had it for a while.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Thanks all,

Unfortunately, the Alto doesn't have Hi-Z inputs, and the Notepad and the Yammie don't have a pre-fade send. The Signature looks like a lovely board, but more than I need, for more than I'd like to spend. How about the Signature 10? (I think the MTK = multitrack, I just need 2in/2out)

There's also Allen & Heath ZEDi-10FX which is a little over budget, but a quality brand.

Will the Yamaha work with iOS, or is its bespoke driver restricted to PC/Mac?

Cheers, Mike

Thanks all,

Unfortunately, the Alto doesn't have Hi-Z inputs, and the Notepad and the Yammie don't have a pre-fade send. The Signature looks like a lovely board, but more than I need, for more than I'd like to spend.

There's the Allen & Heath ZEDi-10FX which is a little over budget, but a quality brand.

Will the Yamaha work with iOS, or is its bespoke driver restricted to PC/Mac?

Cheers, Mike

The Yamaha works great with iOS, as it"s class compliant, so the special driver isn"t needed. As mentioned, I own it. I"ve noticed no latency issues on the iPad. Used it with GarageBand, Facebook Live, Instagram Live, and the internal camera app. The usb loop back is handy too.

Windows is a different mess but I"m not too experienced with that OS for music to begin with.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Thanks all,

Unfortunately, the Alto doesn't have Hi-Z inputs

The Alto DOES have Hi-Z inputs. They are the inputs below the microphone inputs on channels 1 through 5. I believe this mixer ticks all of the boxes to meet your requirements. Our acoustic guitar player used to put his acoustic through my mixer before he purchased his own acoustic amp.

Requirements:

2+channels and 2+ stereo line channels (actually has 5 channels and 2+ stereo line else)

2-channel (or more?) USB audio interface - must be class-compliant and iPhone compatible (USB audio interface on back of mixer)

Built-in FX (Has tons of effects and variations)

1+ post-fade send (to built-in FX) and 1+ pre-fade send (has 1 post fade and 1 prefade send)

Hi-Z input for guitar/bass (has 5 hi Z inputs)

Internal power supply preferred. (has internal power supply).

Additionally:

Has separate monitor out

Has both line outs and XLR outs on the back of the mixer.

Has compressors on channels 1 and 2

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Hi Dave,

Thanks for clarifying. I researched the specof the Alto, and it states that those inputs have an impedance of >100kOhm. It didn't say anything about plugging a guitar directly in.

Thinking about it, a typical "Hi-Z" input normally has an impedance of round about 1MOhm, so "greater than 100kOhm" is in the ballpark. Plus if you can confirm an acoustic guitar straight into the desk works well, that's sufficient proof.

Cheers, Mike.

Hi,

Just had the exact same dilemma and I went for the Allen & Heath ZEDi-10FX because of the 4x4 USB interface and that it is a good brand, so that at least I can record 2 keyboards at a time (Yes, I like to MIDI keyboards and record them at the same time, especially when playing things like pads). I'll update the thread once I receive it and start using it.

To me the trigger was that my old but very reliable system (Yamaha 01V + RME Digiface with ADAT connection) was just too big of a burden to maintain with current computers, and the mixer was giving problems in the last years... but what a solid system to record keyboards that was.... close to 20 years using it daily.

Good luck,

Regards,

Fran

Plus if you can confirm an acoustic guitar straight into the desk works well, that's sufficient proof.Cheers, Mike.
Yes, my acoustic guitar player plugged his acoustic into my mixer for a few months before he purchased his own amp. On the first 5 channels there are mic inputs as well as the 1/4" inputs. Below the 1/4" inputs are individual channel gains, these act as the level adjustment between Lo_Z and Hi_Z per channel. It is separate from the channel volume sliders. We had no issue dialing his guitar in.

Delaware Dave

Exit93band