Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland announce Electronic Taikos

Mark Schmieder

https://sonicstate.com/news/2020/02/07/roland-announces-taiko-1/

Who knows; maybe it'll be as big a hit as their wildly successful V-Accordion series?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The drummers in the video are good.

The instrument appears to be yet another sample-based regurgitator of pre-made sounds, with the inherent lack of expression that comes with that paradigm.

I have the Korg Wavedrum Global, very happy with it. I'd love to try one of the ATV aFrame Electrorganic Frame Drums too.

Both offer more expression.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Oh, that's a shame -- I thought maybe this was going to be an ergonomically pleasing and expressive way of controlling any number of drum and percussion sounds. Oh well.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Oh, that's a shame -- I thought maybe this was going to be an ergonomically pleasing and expressive way of controlling any number of drum and percussion sounds. Oh well.

Seems to be Roland's ish, sample regurgitation with some volume/velocity sensitivity and a couple of "zones" for tone variation. Meh...

Our drummer has a Roland electronic kit and the e-Cajon. He uses the e-Cajon with a pedal as a kick and drum throne for smaller places but brings a real analog snare drum and high hat so he can have some expression.

He made my Wavedrum feedback so now he is afraid of it!!! :- D

Just an internal microphone, that's what they do.

Oh, I forgot about the e-Cajon, so I guess we should have seen this coming!

Can an e-Djembe be far behind?

I do like the Roland stuff for kick tones. You aren't losing expression there since they have dynamics, which is all you can expect from a pedal driven drum.

Plus they don't thin out if other out of phase mics are on stage.

It's not bad for toms but high hat, snare and cymbals don't seem to satisfy the drummers I know and I understand that.

I've got a Roland Handsonic and granted it's the first one but the Wavedrum eats it's lunch for expression.

Reviews indicate the basic concept has not changed with the newer versions.