Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Leslie 22H

Another question. I am on the verge of getting this amp. But just saw a 1974 760 being offered (on Facebook), along with Leslie Combo Premo 2, for total of $450.

I realize the 760 is solid state (and appearance much less attractive), but should I consider it? Might end up being about half what I would have to pay for the 22 (and necessary preamp pedal).

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you should get both. :D

The 760 is a great speaker. I really like them for certain flavours of rock, R&B. They are basically a 147 that gets really loud before it breaks up....and then it goes HARD. And nice even-order distortion from the interstage coupling transformers. Same basic amp design as a Rhodes piano.

One of these days, I'm going to throw a 760 into a 145 cabinet.

FWIW - they use the exact same motors, rotor, horn driver, and horn as a 122/145/etc. Different woofer, different amps, ugly cabinet. But the cabinet is very durable and pretty much a 122/147 cab if you ignore the skin.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Same horn in a 760? I thought they put Atlas drivers in the pro line cabs. My 860 has an Atlas. The 860 screams. Break up isn"t there but it"s friggin loud.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

The 860 has an 8-ohm Atlas, but the 760 is absolutely a V21. Although if I were taking one on the road, I'd sub in an Atlas PD-5VH. 30W into a V21 makes me a bit nervous.

If I had to make a guess, I'd venture that they may have wanted a beefier driver in the 860 so that they could lower the crossover frequency a bit and take some pressure off the bottom amp for the 12" speaker.

One of these days, I'm going to throw a 760 into a 145 cabinet.

FWIW - they use the exact same motors, rotor, horn driver, and horn as a 122/145/etc. Different woofer, different amps, ugly cabinet. But the cabinet is very durable and pretty much a 122/147 cab if you ignore the skin.

I would be more inclined to throw a 145 into a 760 cab. Loved my 760 and it's gobs of bass. It had a brutally LOUD Altec horn driver, patrons at the house gig where I pressed it into service encouraged me to rent it out for a tornado siren lol. No mic-ing necessary, even at a 400- seat club. I did manage to blow the driver out trying to keep up with twin guitars who were impersonating ABB. Replaced it with a 2006 Ham-Suz driver and it improved the tone, as also did (not surprisingly) a Speakeasy preamp. But it still wasn't a tube Leslie- I checked into converting it to tube, found that for that I needed another woofer, amp and X-over. Had to unload my vintage gear before I could follow through.

But, but, that's just at 147 in a tolex cab! :)

I really like the shorties, I mix from stage a lot and they are just the right height for my X32. Not ideal, sonically, but space is at a premium most places.