Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Leslie 22H

I noticed on craig's list someone selling a Leslie 22H for $500. According to the Captain Foldback website: the 22H is "Single speed version of model 122. A great speaker." I can also tell from the label that the speaker is 250 watts.

So here's a stupid question: when a Leslie is described as "single speed," does that mean that the available speed is "slow," "fast" or something in between?

More broadly, is there a way I can make this work with my Mojo (classic dual manual, without the pins)? Am I going to get sufficient bass from this speaker? Anyway to modify to allow 2 speeds?

I'm guessing this is a bad investment, but hoping otherwise.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a good deal for $500. Grab the bench for $100 as well.

Looks in great condition and the Jensens are in there.

single speed is fast or stop. Pretty easy upgrade to turn it into a 2 speed (fast or slow)

I believe my 22H has a Caribbean Controls 2 speed kit.

To use with your Mojo, you'll need a preamp. I'll let other chime in on that recommendation.

I agree, if it"s in really good condition. I have one that I converted a few years ago. Great sounding cabinet. The conversion kit was very simple to install.
Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

Am I going to get sufficient bass from this speaker?

yes, yes, and yes. It's a single speed version of a 122

Anyway to modify to allow 2 speeds?

should you want to, yes. As for me, I have a 142 and have the slow rotors unplugged so it is only stop/fast. Different strokes.

Stop to fast is sublime, IMO. :cool:

:nopity:

Don"t convert it. You will just want to unplug the slow motors anyway. ** Long wind downs are cooler on a Single speed.

** - That"s if you convert it to a true 122 and purchase the motor stacks. You can also do a two speed conversion that jacks with the voltage frequency to make the motor run at two speeds.

I would not do a two speed setup without a brake. People sometimes don"t give stop enough credit. Stop sounds great. A lot of tunes call for it.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Single speed means stop and fast are your only options. Typical leslies that are single speed are designated as two digit models such as 21, 22 45 47. Two speed leslies means the speed options are slow and fast, but typically not stop (unless you pull the plugs on your slow motors). These are typically designated as three digit models such as 122, 147, 145, 142. Exceptions and modifications make these non-hard rules....

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I have 22H, Converted...not by me.

Stock it's off/fast. Which is not at all bad. 500 is a steal. Grab it now. The only better lesile, argueably is the 122. 147 was made for other stuff.

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

I dont think its a good choice for a Mojo. The only generally available preamp pedal is the Trek II UC-1A which is a great pedal but heavy money. The unbalanced input leslies 45/47/145/147 can use the widely available Leslie preamp pedal as well as the Trek II and were designed for your needs.The 22H was kinda Hammond organ specific and balanced input.

v

I dont think its a good choice for a Mojo. The only generally available preamp pedal is the Trek II UC-1A which is a great pedal but heavy money. The unbalanced input leslies 45/47/145/147 can use the widely available Leslie preamp pedal as well as the Trek II and were designed for your needs.The 22H was kinda Hammond organ specific and balanced input.

Yikes, I checked the price on that Trek II UC-1A. $670 new. But I'm not sure I understand your point. You seem to be saying that there is some alternative to the Trek that would work, but the amp would still not be a good choice? Is it purely for the cost?

If patient you can probably find a Trek II for $400. Moe"s suggestion of finding an old Leslie preamp may save you another $100.

Note that the older Leslie preamp pedals probably need refurbed, They are pretty noisy and hum but there are tweakers out there that can reduce the hum. A used Trek II is probably the best value overall because it will work with mulriple cabinets at once and is generally a better pedal than the Leslie ones.

There's a pretty interesting new company that was showing at NAMM that is making Leslie products that I believe OBDave is doing some consulting with?

They're called Booker Lab, and they have a pedal preamp that works with both the 122 and 147 style Leslie's that comes in at $479. They also make a preamp that attaches on the back of the Leslie if you don't want a pedal-style.

Here's a link:

https://bookerlab.com/product/fusion-preamp-interface/

Pretty cool stuff, and seemingly nice folks. I think they've been mentioned here before somewhere, but they were showing their gear at NAMM for the first time I believe.

I am also consulting with Booker Lab.

The LBBs sound fantastic IMO.

Note that Leslie never made a preamp pedal for the 6H interface (122, 142, 22H, etc), however the Trek-II UC1A would also work.

BTW, attaching the LBB preamp to the back the Leslie isn't the only choice. I hang mine below my clonewheel (on the rare occasionals I use one) so that I can reach the tone controls.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=818791471485826&external_log_id=f6ea6ec41ade52728702e5d8e7be2ffe&q=mike%20emerson%20crucial%20audo%20apollo%2018

This is the only tube Leslie preamp currently on the market, as far as I know, since Vintage Vibe seems to have ceased production on their model. Can be configured for either 122 or 147 style. Not unobtanium, at least for those flush with cash. What do you guys think?

There's a pretty interesting new company that was showing at NAMM that is making Leslie products that I believe OBDave is doing some consulting with?

They're called Booker Lab, and they have a pedal preamp that works with both the 122 and 147 style Leslie's that comes in at $479. T

I'm confused (again). My understanding is that the 22H has a six pin interface. I also understand that, aside from being single speed, it is basically the same as the 122. Does that mean that the 122 uses six pins also?

The Booker Lab website says that its preamp works with both 122 and 147 style, but I don't see any indication on the website that can connect to a six-pin speaker like 22H. Setting aside the Booker Lab product, I'd like to know if a preamp that works with the 122 necessarily also works with the 22H.

Yes. Just like Red Key says.

But never confuse an installed 6 pin connector kit for a 122 with a 6 pin connector kit for a 147 or visa versa. They are not the same. This can release magic smoke.

I didn't understand you were planing to deploy with crummar. Like everybody says, 147 is made for this.

But, who knows, maybe 22h would be great.

There is no rocket science in the 6-pin cables, except the speed switching current piggy-backs. But if you are handy with soldergun, all you would need is a small preamp (and maybe none), the wiring diagram and some time.

The 22H get's it's 110 from the Hammond, but does not need to. It can and fairly often is powered with it's own source. Don't use a ground, or that's what I heard. I use the stock 6-pin on my 22H, but I wired my own 760 and it plays fine from RT3. That's a horrible 9-pin cable, but I did not bother with that or a preamp pedal. I knew the hammond was hot enough, so I took one balanced lead, and put the 3-way (760 has that) on it's own circut (which I think it has anyway). 760, like 147, is unbalanced.

45301529185_75f7a85ec4.jpg

Homemade 3-way half moon by unoh7, on Flickr

The important part is the amp that's inside the 22H. To die for. Parts everywhere. Mine looked rough on the outside:

45120704555_a4a8025de2.jpg

Amp by unoh7, on Flickr

But somebody had been there:

31093589247_772e975509.jpg

Amp by unoh7, on Flickr

The two speed converter, which I could never identify, is in view on right end upper quadrant. It's a pulse driven thingy. Some say it's hard on the motors, but the 22H motors are also dirt cheap and easy to find. Sounds very good.

Much character comes from the amp in the Leslie. Ok doppler speed change and the big woofer is cool too, but the amp is why people still get the old ones. You just need a slightly hot balanced signal. The combo pre-amps are now solid-state, anyway. A tube-headphone amp might be great LOL. But good SS single channel pre-amps are dirt cheap before branding.

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

Is the amp rated 250 watts, or just the speaker. I used to have a 21H but I don"t remember it being especially loud.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

It's not really as bad as you make it out to be. About 200W of that is the motors.

Is the amp rated 250 watts, or just the speaker. I used to have a 21H but I don"t remember it being especially loud.

The amp in a 22H is rated at 40 watts, loud enough, unless playing in a rock and roll band

Ok, that makes more sense. My 21H had a 30 watt, iirc. And it wasn"t loud enough for the rock band I was in. We mic"d it.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

There's no real difference between 30 and 40 watts (about 2dB) in terms of sound output. Tube Leslies are just not loud enough for rock bands. Hell, I sit beside one and get a whole bunch put in my wedge. Otherwise, I have to play ff - fff just to hear myself...so using a wedge like that gives me the ability to play anywhere from mp - fff -- way more musical.