Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Frequency sweep in Script for a Jester's Tear

Hi,

As you can guess, I'm mainly a drummer but I've dabbled with keyboards all my life and use them for writting and helping out with production with my own band.

I'm currently in a Marillion tribute band and I'm wondering how Mark Kelly achived the frequency sweep (if that's what it is) sound on the opening chord of the section that begins with the line "The fool escaped from paradise" in the song Script for a Jesters Tear (I'm at work at the moment but will update this with a video later).

Other tribute bands use pitch bend but it doesn't sound correct - the sweep sounds like it's covering a few octaves and starts in the bass frequencies. It's also a very consistant sweep - not something done by hand.

I've messed about with glide settings on Logic's Retro synth but I can't get it to start consistantly from the right note.

I'm just learning about analogue synths so please forgive my ignorance - does it sound like the pitch is being raised by a slow LFO? (I don't even know if that's a thing - but I'd love to learn more and figure out how to do this!).

Thanks,

Darren

Dazzathedrummer

Kurzweil SP4-8 | EMU Xboard 61

Logic | Reaper | Ableton Live

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep - that"s the one.

...it is a glide? ...ok, great.

So, I take it you would set the start point by holding the chord in a lower octave with the volume off and then hit the actual chord with the volume up and tweak the glide time to fit?

By 'frequency sweep" I meant the frequency of the wave as opposed to a filter sweep - I"ll get the hang of the terminology one day I"m sure :D

Dazzathedrummer

Yep - that"s the one.

...it is a glide? ...ok, great.

So, I take it you would set the start point by holding the chord in a lower octave with the volume off and then hit the actual chord with the volume up and tweak the glide time to fit?

Exactly. In the old days, my glide switch was on a toggle right next to the keys. I would temporarily mute the instrument, hit the start note, unmute the instrument, then switch on the glide.

Moe

---

Here"s a tribute band doing it - you can hear that pitch bend doesn"t really work as well (just after 6:10)...

[video:youtube]

In this one you can see Mark Kelly switching the glide on/off over Steve Rothery"s shoulder...

[video:youtube]

I guess that answers the question - thanks!

All we"ve got to do now is figure out how to do this on a Kronos or a Juno 6.

Dazzathedrummer