Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dexibell....does it get any love?

It's interesting to me that they appear to adopt their software technology across the entire line, and just package the hardware for different uses. I find this very appealing.

The S9 is not really in my sight lines due mostly to size and weight, but the S3 has some appeal to me. It's great that it's pretty much a different form factor and not crippled from a features/capability standpoint.

I assume that any software/sounds/usability trickles down to the S7 and S3.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dexibell's been in my sights since introduction. They're nowhere to be seen around these parts, but I'd love to get my hands on a S1.

I'd manufacture a removable extension off the back, and it could make a great lower manual. The extension could house cords, pedals etc, then act as an attachable rear support for let's say, a Mojo61.

Voila: lower manual, weighted 68 keys (not too wide) easy to edit interface, on the go from the side panel, state-of-the-art piano, downloadable extra sounds.

Anyone looking for an SL88 Studio and a Spacestation?

Here for the gear.

It's interesting to me that they appear to adopt their software technology across the entire line, and just package the hardware for different uses. I find this very appealing.

The S9 is not really in my sight lines due mostly to size and weight, but the S3 has some appeal to me. It's great that it's pretty much a different form factor and not crippled from a features/capability standpoint.

I assume that any software/sounds/usability trickles down to the S7 and S3.

On their website, under the "MY" button, you can create an account. Then you can select a model and see a list of sounds available for download. You can also listen to them. The S9 is in the same column as the rest of the Stage models so yes everything should be compatible. Since all 3 piano lines are called VIVO, I'm 99% sure they are all compatible with each other. I just went to that page and saw a new model I've never heard of before under the Stage models: DX MSK. Now I'm VERY curious!

Dexibell's been in my sights since introduction. They're nowhere to be seen around these parts, but I'd love to get my hands on a S1.

I'd manufacture a removable extension off the back, and it could make a great lower manual. The extension could house cords, pedals etc, then act as an attachable rear support for let's say, a Mojo61.

Voila: lower manual, weighted 68 keys (not too wide) easy to edit interface, on the go from the side panel, state-of-the-art piano, downloadable extra sounds.

Anyone looking for an SL88 Studio and a Spacestation?

s1 action is a fatar tp8piano.

no one that has played and posted about it has described it as weighted.

semi weighted at best....and last post i saw, a female said it didnt even feel that.

.... Jeff /// Yamaha P515 /// Roll Tide

They have their new Platinum sounds Pianos on the website , and as soon as I can get my nephew over here to download them I'll be happy camper .

let us know how they sound in the s3, mike!

.... Jeff /// Yamaha P515 /// Roll Tide

They have their new Platinum sounds Pianos on the website , and as soon as I can get my nephew over here to download them I'll be happy camper .

They're supposed to be three times as large as their other piano files. Get ready to delete a lot of internal sounds to make room.

I'll have to get an SX7 and just use it for the platinum sounds if I want to have them. I thought there was going to be an Italian Grand (Fazioli), but I still don't see it.

They have their new Platinum sounds Pianos on the website...

I´d wish they had Platinum Fender Rhodes mkI, Wurli 200A, Clavi D6 w/ all filter tab combos sampled/modelled, Platinum- Dist/OD/AmpSims, Pedal- and Touch-Wah, Ringmod and a Platinum RotarySpkr emu,- all freely user combinable.

Platinum Acoustic (Grand-) pianos are welcome,- but I always had to use the above keyboard instruments more often than acoustic pianos, may it be on tour or in studios.

A.C.

Yes I agree their Rhodes and wurlies could use some help and looking forward to any improvements Dexibell makes to them ,I think they will listen if people go to their website and share their thoughts about sound improvement . I bought the S3 because it only weighs 22 lbs. and has nice sounding organic pianos on it and its easy to take to a friends to jam with , but I think they are really interested in making the keyboard sound as good as possible and that's a bonus .

• 5 weeks later...

Apologies in advance for zombie-fying this thread, but I didnt wanna start a new one for just this one question to current Dexibell DP owners:

I am seriously considering this as a controller for Keyscape..... and I dont want a dummy MIDI board, in case the MBP or software goes south, so good APs and EPs are key.

All comments here and on other threads bode well for it. Ill probably go for the 73 key as it fits my portability and stage real estate requirements. Ive narrowed my choice to either the S3 or Kawai MP7SE

My only concern is the external power supply and barrel connector.... how sturdy are these?

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Apologies in advance for zombie-fying this thread, but I didnt wanna start a new one for just this one question to current Dexibell DP owners:

I am seriously considering this as a controller for Keyscape..... and I dont want a dummy MIDI board, in case the MBP or software goes south, so good APs and EPs are key.

All comments here and on other threads bode well for it. Ill probably go for the 73 key as it fits my portability and stage real estate requirements. Ive narrowed my choice to either the S3 or Kawai MP7SE

My only concern is the external power supply and barrel connector.... how sturdy are these?

Had the S3 for a couple weeks. As I recall the power supply and line were of good quality, as good as anything else.

Jim, I recall you returned your Crumar Seven because you didn't like the action. Having played the S3 and now owning a Seven, my opinion is its the same action. I get along with it fine. I'd rather play the S3 than any other sub-30 lb weighted keyboard.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Thanks for the reply, Adan!

Yes, you are correct, I did return the Seven because of the action. However, my understanding of the problem with the Crumar action was the housing, as its a generic TP 100 which Im cool with as its the same as the Forte, NP 2 73 and Electro HP.

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

I liked the S9 online demos. Still not sure about everything. The sound fonts import feature could be a big deal. APs and classical organs would be the selling points for me, as I have other boards for EPs and clavs.

Does their website let you create your account before buying any particular instrument?

Just got through running through the stock sounds.

VIVO Piano is fine and the Upright is also good.

Perhaps if I were serenading woodland nymphs and wanted Romantic whatever that means, and exotic flutes bathed in Reverb I might be more harsh.

I just need good punchy Pianos, ballads can be played on these but Im not doing much belly rubbing tunes these days.

Slow and Fast Strings are better than my Hollywood Strings, LASS and Session Pro. Theres no articulations,but then again Im not doing Sigfrieds Journey Up The Rhine.

EPianos are fine. Stick to Rhodes, Wurly and the Dyno would be a great blend with anything as it is powerful.

Funky Clavinet is decent, but again Im not concerned with release samples and perfection, I want ballsy sounds, this will work.

Horn Sections are perfect without blending everything on a PC and having excess articulations. The Vibrato can be used as a shake.

I wont be needing Platinum anything to be honest.

I want layered Horn Sections more than anything.

Im just relieved the Dexibell SX7 punches and will keep my racked PC Rigs at home.

FWIW Make sure to tell the distributor you want the rack ears, they are suppose to come with them but I had to call and tell them I need mine by tomorrow.

My guess is theyre in a seperate box that needs to be packed with the Module.

This module actually has a big sound, better than PianoTeq, Kontakt, etc.

I love my VSTi collections but I need a Sub and Tubes to get them thicker.

I dont need anything with the SX7 but it does get a Strymon Deco and Strymon Timeline.

Cheerz.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Dont listen to the pdf. explaining updating by making an empty USB Stick into MS DOS FAT32.

NTFS is what works after I wasted hours re formatting, copying, etc.

Just use an empty USB Stick, no folders, files only.

Now listen to the dumb pdf instrtuctions.

Just updated from 4.02 to 4.05.

3GBs of Memory now.

Im liking deez guyz

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

• 1 year later...

I borrowed an SX7 one of these from my local store so follows a brief review.

I downloaded all the sounds on their website and loaded them in turn - you can't fit all the platinum pianos at once.

Ran it mono through a Yamaha DBR10, which is what I'd use at a gig. My current rig is a Hammond-Suzuki SK1 and a Korg Vox Continental. I also have a Gemini module. So they're my benchmarks.

The internal pianos collapse to mono real nice (the Platinum pianos don"t), the pop grand is exactly what I need for most of my gigs (iirc I'd rate it as good as or better than Nord's Black (Petrof) upright which is as good as I've heard in mono), the Vivo Upright is gold for soul tunes. The internal Rhodes are pretty nice, really like the Suitcase patch. The strings are sweet with a bit of tweaking the reverb and release time, the synth pads are also nice, but you can only edit the amp envelope, not the filter, which is a bit disappointing given the demos suggest the filter can be controlled by a CC, presumably patched to mod wheel (I don"t have a keyboard with a mod wheel so I couldn"t test it). The pipe organs and the baroque trumpet (expansion library) would also be awesome for wedding ceremonies. The rest is GM quality.

Interface is simple to get around, didn't need the manual until I went looking to edit the mfx and wasn't sure where to find them.

The output is really hot, which is good.

I will probably buy one for the pianos, the strings and the pads - those in the Vox are great but it's monotimbral and I usually need it for something else.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

I have the S3 and I really like the sounds on it , I have Japanese platinum piano sound on it which are my favorite , the strings are nice and lush the electric pianos are pretty nice and I also like some of the organ sounds which you can get to sound pretty good through all the different ways you can tweak them , that being said the action on the S3 is not great but its playable , and having the S3 for almost two years its starting to act up . One of the B flats in the bass section stopped making any sound so I opened up the keyboard to peek inside , that's when I found out I have at least 3 cracked hammers on the bass side of the piano . Well the pianos still under warranty so I contacted Dexibell and asked where I could send the piano to get it fixed , in 3 days it will be two weeks and I still have not gotten a reply telling me where to send it .I have contacted them numerous times so I hope I hear from them soon .

I"m still loving my S9. I use the German Platinum and the VIVO upright mostly, I also use the suitcase and the warm pad. It"s perfect for my piano only gigs, and if I need more I can bring my Integra-7 or another board. I"ve only been using it in stereo so I can"t comment on the mono side of things...

The S9 does look tasty - alas none of the Dexibell range are available in Oz :(

They will be. I borrowed the SX7 from Better Music in Canberra and they will be placing an order with Dexibell soon. Not sure if they're the importer or if there's a third party bringing them in.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Its been two weeks since my S3 has needed work done to it , Antoni Ferranti has not contacted me and I had some one from Dexibell contact him and the reply I got is , I do not know why he has not contacted me . Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do . Thanks Mike .