Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sound versus convenience

Dr88s

Interesting topic, but if I am standing up and playing pop music, I am fine with playing on plastic middle tier quality instruments, but if I am in a seated position, I really insist on being seated at a flagship grade keybed, build quality and a pro grade instrument. Not just about sound quality but the touch experience and layout of knobs, sliders and wheels.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Five years ago, I would have enthusiastically answered "sound matters more than schlep". I would bring at least three boards, all sorts of outboard processing, a mixer and my own pair of PA units. And lots of cables.

As of now, "schlep matters more than sound", especially with the bars and private parties that make up the local scene. That goes for the band PA and lights that I also do.

I'm now down to a single Nord Stage 3 Compact with a weighted controller underneath. A single pair of stereo outs. Zero external processing. A single SS CPSv3 for stage sound, with mono out to FOH. One trip with the cart, 5 minute setup/teardown. No stress or effort either.

As far as the sound goes, I think the Nord emulations are good enough to fool 95% of listeners when it comes to APs, EPs, B3, etc.

And that's what I'm after these days -- "good enough".

That's just me though....I mean whatever works. Maybe I am too old school?

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

For the past 5-6 years I"ve been bringing the same rig to every gig (Kronos 88, Jupiter-80). It"s a beast to lug around, but both of the bands I"m in require tons of sounds, split points, layers, etc. I"ve thought many, many times (typically during load in/out) about getting a lighter rig for some jobs (e.g., MODX-88, FA-7) but that would involve learning new platforms and a ton of programming work/time which I would prefer to direct toward more enjoyable activities. Plus there"s a comfort/confidence factor that comes from using a consistent rig every night. The mechanics/muscle memory regarding the physical layout of the keys, where the splits/layers/controllers are, etc., have now become fairly automatic, which means less distraction...resulting in more mental energy applied to the music (than if these factors were more variable). Lastly, because I"m so familiar with how both boards work, I can dial up rather complex set-ups in relatively short order. I would have no compunction using a scaled-down rig if I were still playing a lot of weddings, but the bands I"m in are driving my decision to remain in my current catch 22 situation.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I"ve seen a few complaints about lifting heavy PA speakers in this thread. Guys, buy some Hercules crank stands. Seriously. Just do it. They are awesome.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Professor Longhair did gigs and there are even live recordings of him playing this horrible-sounding POS. Who am I to complain? What we have now is uncountably better.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-GbU_7jpmCRI/T3I1MgtU1AI/AAAAAAAAAzA/9jSHx1rcc-s/s1600/Professor-Longhair.jpg

I got to see the real thing at the New Orleans Jazz Museum this week, where they had a room dedicated to Fess. (They also had Fats' Steinway that was damaged in Katrina, and one of Dr' John's pianos.)

440.thumb.jpg.0a31f44c217131d7a7c75cb83da2115d.jpg

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I"ve seen a few complaints about lifting heavy PA speakers in this thread. Guys, buy some Hercules crank stands. Seriously. Just do it. They are awesome.

We have a nice stand for elevating speakers, I don't recall the brand.

I agree, they are awesome.

The technology has changed for the better, thanks to a generous donation from the bandleader's father we will be getting a set of lighter, more effecient mains.

And a Midas board with iPad control.

We already have a subwoofer.

Modern speakers with lighter, more efficient magnets and power amp and lighter more rigid construction have really made a positive difference for musicians.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

For the last year or so, my rig has kind of settled into this: Rhodes MK1 73, Hammond XK1c, and a Novation SL61 controlling Mainstage. I played maybe 20 shows last year, which is down for me from previous years, but reflects an experiment in both of my main bands to play fewer but better shows. I love playing the Rhodes live, my bandmates all say it sounds better than any of the emulations I"d used previously, and I just feel like I play better on it. Plus, it looks cool onstage. With a hand truck, I can move it entirely on my own, I just need help lifting it onto the stand, and my bandmates have committed to always helping me with that, they are cool guys. I"m 57 years old, I don"t know how many years of active gigging I have left, so I"m determined to make each gig as enjoyable as possible. If the shlep becomes too much, I still have my Casio PX5S, but it"s been in its case for over a year.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

I use 1 rig for all bands and venues, tiny to large stages. The guitar player in my main band is always after me to simplify my rig and lighten my load as much as possible. (We're both old and have physical/health limitations.) I double on keys and sax. I use mainly organ sounds, some Wurly and some AP. I like those sounds in my Nord 61 key 5D. I now use a single tier Stay stand that breaks down and packs into a small bag. I use 2 QSC K8's for speakers (stereo) on low stands. For small venues, those are the only amplification for the Nord. If there's FOH, I use them as monitors and FOH takes mono or stereo direct off the Nord or off the speakers. For sax, I use a Samson wireless clip-on mic and small receiver, going into PA. I can set up and take down this whole rig quickly if I need to. I don't feel I'm giving up anything in terms of sound quality both for the Nord or the sax.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

For me it's all about context. I can go to either extreme or any point in between, depending on the conditions of the gig. There are gigs where I'll schlep the Grandstage, the Mojo 61, the Moog, and the melodica rig (including assorted outboard gear). Then there are gigs where I'll say "Screw it, the VR-09 on the $30 x-stand will be plenty good enough."