Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Dexibell S7 PRO M

I just saw a sneak peek video for a new piano from Dexibell. It's the S7 PRO M. The difference from the PRO 7 is that it has built in speakers, like the P7 and a supposedly improved keyboard action. While I like those features, it's going to be a moot point for me unless they have a lot more wave memory so that several Platinum Pianos from their library can be loaded in without deleting the other sounds. That has been the biggest flaw in their original design. Supposedly the new H10 has expanded wave memory.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if Dexibell realizes how many consumers they are keeping from purchasing one of their keyboards do to lack of wave memory . The S7 Pro M sounds promising do to the fact they upgraded their keyboard action which is why I have not looked into trading up from my S3 , hope they start putting them in music stores so you can try out the action and see how they compare to other keyboards .

I wonder if Dexibell realizes how many consumers they are keeping from purchasing one of their keyboards do to lack of wave memory . The S7 Pro M sounds promising

Do you think they shot themselves in the foot by offering the Platinum sounds? If they hadn't, the 1.5 GB of wave memory would generally be fine. I mean, unless consumers had previously been avoiding the boards because the piano sound wasn't good enough, then this would be an important addition. But unless the original piano sounds were an impediment to sales, it sounds like they may have offered an improvement that didn't solve any problem that was stopping people from buying, but in the process, may have created a problem that is stopping people from buying...?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I wonder if Dexibell realizes how many consumers they are keeping from purchasing one of their keyboards do to lack of wave memory . The S7 Pro M sounds promising

Do you think they shot themselves in the foot by offering the Platinum sounds? If they hadn't, the 1.5 GB of wave memory would generally be fine. I mean, unless consumers had previously been avoiding the boards because the piano sound wasn't good enough, then this would be an important addition. But unless the original piano sounds were an impediment to sales, it sounds like they may have offered an improvement that didn't solve any problem that was stopping people from buying, but in the process, may have created a problem that is stopping people from buying...?

Yes. It shows, at least, a lack of planning or forward thinking. I think the original piano sounds were much better than average, but something caused Dexibell to think they needed larger memory piano samples. To the next question: I think so. People see the Platinum sounds, and as human nature goes, they want all of the best sounds. But the current design limits customer's ability to do so. Many other useful sounds have to be deleted from the performance memory to make room for one Platinum sound. And if the user wants to regain the lost sounds in the performance memory, they have to re-load them from the permanent memory. That is too much work. Work that wouldn't be needed if it had an adequate amount of performance memory. I love my P7, but I won't get another Dexibell product until they fix the memory issue.

The platinum piano sounds are a good bit better than the stock sounds , from what I have read it does not cost much to expand the memory , platinum sounds should be stock and the other piano sounds should be extras , I do not think its that hard to figure out . Roland does it and Dexibell is an offshoot of Roland .

from what I have read it does not cost much to expand the memory.

It depends on the kind of memory and the architecture of the board.

platinum sounds should be stock and the other piano sounds should be extras , I do not think its that hard to figure out . Roland does it and Dexibell is an offshoot of Roland .

Where does Roland do anything like this? I don't think they have any large sample-size pianos, either stock OR downloadable. Though the V-Piano and at least some aspects of SuperNatural piano are modeled, and the modeling depends on processing capability, not memory. As for being an off-shoot, I don't think Dexibell has access to any Roland tech... AFAIK, it is a completely separate company, even if being run by ex-Roland people or being made at ex-Roland facilities.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I thought since some of these guys probably worked for Roland that they would be familiar with their technology , the RD 2000 has two separate sound engines , I have no idea how Dexibell creates what it does but in the future I am pretty shore they will be doing what I explained in my earlier paragraph and am also pretty shore they are probably working on it right now , but then again I could be wrong .

I heard somewhere that the H10 is going to include some of the Platinum Pianos as standard sounds. I hope so and I hope it signals a new direction for future products. I still think there should be room enough for ALL the Platinum Pianos at one time, without having to delete any other internal samples.

Another area they haven't thought ahead are the names. As someone very unfamiliar with their products apart from hearing their s9 was very pricey, they have designations that have nothing to do with the number of keys, and in this case, with adding speakers. Going from S7 to S9 denotes another quality level, all 88 notes, but from S3 to S7, there's a reduced number of notes and it's on the lower end. Perhaps the M at the end of Pro 7 is for monitor? It's not a good sign that it becomes a blur as they introduce new models 'cause the names are not descriptive.

In any case, while looking up dexibell, I came across the Vivo P7 which really surprised me.

Dexibell Vivo P7

which is an 88 note keyboard that weighs 31 pounds, costs $1899, and has 2 x 35 watt built-in speakers! Measure at 108 db, which is very loud. Who knows how good these speakers sound, but those are at least very impressive specs for someone who wants to do quieter gigs without external monitors. No mention of expandable memory.

So the models that can have their memory expanded, how much is the module and how big?

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

I still think there should be room enough for ALL the Platinum Pianos at one time, without having to delete any other internal samples.
Even if they did that, it would eventually be not enough, unless they stop coming out with new samples. Nord is in the same boat with that double-edged sword... they keep coming out with new samples, which they get applauded for, but then people complain that they can't fit everything in. So choose your poison... companies who don't keep adding free sounds, vs. ones that do but whose boards will not have room for everything they come out with.

Another area they haven't thought ahead are the names. As someone very unfamiliar with their products apart from hearing their s9 was very pricey, they have designations that have nothing to do with the number of keys, and in this case, with adding speakers. Going from S7 to S9 denotes another quality level, all 88 notes, but from S3 to S7, there's a reduced number of notes and it's on the lower end. Perhaps the M at the end of Pro 7 is for monitor? It's not a good sign that it becomes a blur as they introduce new models 'cause the names are not descriptive.

In any case, while looking up dexibell, I came across the Vivo P7 which really surprised me.

Dexibell Vivo P7

which is an 88 note keyboard that weighs 31 pounds, costs $1899, and has 2 x 35 watt built-in speakers! Measure at 108 db, which is very loud. Who knows how good these speakers sound, but those are at least very impressive specs for someone who wants to do quieter gigs without external monitors. No mention of expandable memory.

So the models that can have their memory expanded, how much is the module and how big?

So far, none of their models can have their memory upgraded, AFAIK. It seems that the models they are just about to come out with have more memory, but we won't know for sure until they officially publish specs. It seems that will probably happen around NAMM time in January. I bought a new P7 for $1499, when I found out they were going up $400 in price. The speakers are quite good for built in speakers and are plenty loud and full sounding in my house. As far as the 108 db spec is concerned, are you sure it's the audio system, or is it the signal-to-noise ratio with the samples and the DACs?

Radagast,

From SW's site:

"Stereo speaker system:

full-range, 35W digital amps x 2,

DBass Enhancer, Dynamic EQ, 3-band Comp;

Maximum SPL: 108.1dB

Sounds sweet to me! I've got the Korg Pa1000 arranger with 2 x 33 watts, 2 ways, and it sounds lush, which of course is also the quality of sounds. Volume wise it's way better than anything I've had before, but it's no K8.2. But it is stereo right in your face. I LOVE good built-in speakers, they bring the party to your ears, no muss, no fuss.

3-band compressor? What? That'd be awesome for creating a punchy sound, I've been wanting at least a built-in 2-band compressor, but 3 bands? I suppose DBass Enchancer is for deep bass, would be curious how well that works and what exactly it's doing. And what is dynamic eq?

So how do you like the sounds of the P7? Do the onboard speakers do the sounds justice, or are external speakers the only way to hear the full sound? Does it have good finger to ear connection? Does it feel like an 'instrument' as opposed to a mechanical playback device of piano sounds. I'm asking 'cause there needs to be a compelling reason to buy Dexibell, the $2-2,500 market has a lot of attractive alternatives.

You got it for $1,499, and I was commenting on how inexpensive it was at $1,899 for what you were getting (at least relative to the other boards they sell).

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB