Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Out-of-date Synth gear in movies

Hope this topic doesn't get me banned, but I'm watching the RiffTrax version of a bad 1987 action movie, "Miami Connection", in which a pop band is also (what else?) practitioners of martial arts ... they all live together, like The Beatles in Help!, and fight the biker ninjas whose gig they evidently took, to a continuous soundtrack of Miami-Vice-meets-butt-rock. That kind of film.

What grabbed my attention was that the keyboardist uses a Prophet 600 and some kind of Roland (I'm guessing Jupiter by the size, but haven't seen it well enough to tell). Neither is actually plugged in but neither are the guitars; they're actors pretending to play. While the audience is depicted as pretty pumped-up by the band (of course! it's a movie!), I have to wonder if the by-then-passe keyboards (and overall sound, including Simmons drums) weren't maybe deliberately chosen as some sort of comment on the band's taste, or means. I mean, who was using a Prophet for new, original pop music in 1987??

Of course, maybe these were just what the film's producers could get cheap. I don't see a lot of band equipment in movies, so this really caught my eye ...

It's not the gear, it's the player ... but hey, look -- new gear!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean, who was using a Prophet (600) for new, original pop music in 1987??

The keyboardist with Mister Mister, for one. It's all over "Broken Wings" and "Kyrie". I had one from '84 to '91. I regret selling it so cheap. Great sounding synth!

><>

Steve

I still use Prophets. New keyboards suck. Anyone want to sell me a working Jupiter 8 for 2 grand?

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I remember the Miami Vice years fondly. Couldn't get enough of Jan's music every week.

Don't get me started on Jan and Miami Vice. :2thu: I used to have the TV in my music room so I could study Jan's music and synth tones as I watched the show and played along. IIRC his synths of choice at the time were the Memorymoog, Jupiter 8, DX7 and the mighty Fairlight. He once casually stated that he could get his signature "lead guitar" sound out of any synth, so it's hard telling what he was using then. I remember he used the Rockman for distortion... Like I said, don't get me started! :laugh:

><>

Steve

Um..."out-of-date," eh?

You mean like my Hammond A-100?

And, yes, for the pedantic amongst you, it is a synth...of the additive sort. Also of the addictive sort, but we'll leave that for another day.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

I"ve heard DX7 in Disney films from the late 90"s and Indonesian films and songs from 1990-1996 and even later.

Edit: in films probably one from the late 90"s that they had a DX7 in?

Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

Hope this topic doesn't get me banned,

:hitt: Banninated!!!! :saber:

:roll:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

[video:youtube]

That's an E-mu, isn't it? I believe it's the same seen at the beginning of this song, from Midnight Oil's 1987 RMIT broadcast:

[video:youtube]

It's not the gear, it's the player ... but hey, look -- new gear!

What grabbed my attention was that the keyboardist uses a Prophet 600 ...

The Prophet600 was in production from 1982 thru 1985. I bought mine brand new in 1983 and was still gigging with it in 1988. It was certainly still being used in 1987 by recording artists.

If it was a Jupiter...mist likely a Jupiter 8, those, too, were in productions thru 1985, so again, 1987 isn't really that far removed.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

I watched the movie "Searching" the other night, which came out in 2018. In the movie, the lead actor's daughter is taking piano lessons from his wife, who is a classical pianist. She's teaching her on a DX-7. The movie takes place current day where the girl is 16 and the girl is probably 8 when taking the lessons. So in 2011, a classical pianist is teaching her daughter to play beginner piano pieces on a DX-7.