Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nord White Grand

Nord has released the White Grand - a unique new grand piano in the Nord Piano Library. They tell us that the White Grand is a semi concert grand with a rich, expressive and shimmering sound and is available for free download.

Compatibility: The White Grand requires the latest OS Updates and is compatible with Nord Stage 3/2 EX/2, Nord Piano 4/3, Nord Electro 6/5 and Nord Grand.

Sounds very nice:

[video:youtube]

note: not compatible with the original Nord Stage, Nord Stage EX, Electro 3, Electro 4, Nord Piano, or Nord Piano 2

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Loaded and tried the new grand XL on my E5D. Definitely a keeper for jazz/cocktail bar style performances. Tried it with a Curv 500 stereo. Nice. But I wonder how it will sound with a pair of RCF TT08 A II I"m currently lurking for. Anyway, even with one speaker using the E5D mono setting it is more than usable.
One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain. - Bob Marley

Loaded and tried the new grand XL on my E5D. Definitely a keeper for jazz/cocktail bar style performances. Tried it with a Curv 500 stereo. Nice. But I wonder how it will sound with a pair of RCF TT08 A II I"m currently lurking for. Anyway, even with one speaker using the E5D mono setting it is more than usable.

Good to hear it works in mono. I've been struggling trying to get a Nord acoustic piano to work live in mono. I loaded and played around with the White Grand for a little bit, but, have yet to play it through my K10 speaker which I use for live work. That'll be the litmus test at the next rehearsal.

aL

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

I downloaded it the other day and used it at a blues jam I play at once a month. It sounded nice. A little darker/woodier sounding than the Silver Grand which was my go to sound, but not as dark as some of their other sounds. It sat well in the mix for me.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

nice comparison with the other big grands here, and towards the end, a good comparison of mono compatibility.

Spoiler: It's really, really good, and the best piano yet in mono.

[video:youtube]

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

PianoManChuck is a man after my own heart. He's apparently a Nord fan, I'm an obvious Nord fan, neither of us shy -- especially when it comes to APs.

Downloading the free White Grand is almost like buying a whole new instrument. It's that different, especially through decent amplification. As he says, not the first time that's happened. We can bitch about actions, etc. -- but what really matters to me is the sounds that come out. The White Grand sample starts to approach the better soft pianos in more than a few regards, including immediacy, e.g. no MIDI lag.

There will be wailing from owners of early instruments, but I'm not sympathetic. OK, my 8 year old Nord Electro 4D can't play these samples. Well, I guess I'm going to have to suck it up in the name of progress :)

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

PianoManChuck is a man after my own heart. He's apparently a Nord fan, I'm an obvious Nord fan, neither of us shy -- especially when it comes to APs.

Downloading the free White Grand is almost like buying a whole new instrument. It's that different, especially through decent amplification. As he says, not the first time that's happened. We can bitch about actions, etc. -- but what really matters to me is the sounds that come out. The White Grand sample starts to approach the better soft pianos in more than a few regards, including immediacy, e.g. no MIDI lag.

There will be wailing from owners of early instruments, but I'm not sympathetic. OK, my 8 year old Nord Electro 4D can't play these samples. Well, I guess I'm going to have to suck it up in the name of progress :)

Hey, I'm not bitter....

I had to sacrifice all my EPs, but I managed to make room on my new/old Stage 2 (an "earlier" instrument released 8 years ago, same year as the Kronos).

Small Bosie upright

Medium Bosie, Lady D, Ambient Grand

Large Silver

Large White

Not bad for an old board with only 500MB of piano space. And a really nice TP40 action to boot.

Bonus: I got rid of that metallic, ringing quality on all the pianos. Thought it was something to do with phase cancellations and stereo/mono issues. For one month now I had just given up and expected that was the "Nord sound".

Turns out I had a MIDI loop causing the phasey sound! Now that they're all clear, it feels like I got a whole new instrument. Several, in fact. Guess I better re-visit the Royal 3D piano now...

Turns out I had a MIDI loop causing the phasey sound!

MIDI loop? Does this mean you had two instances of a piano running concurrently, each on a different MIDI channel, causing the phase?

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Turns out I had a MIDI loop causing the phasey sound!

MIDI loop? Does this mean you had two instances of a piano running concurrently, each on a different MIDI channel, causing the phase?

4 instances, since I like to use 2 different pianos at the same time. What clued me in was getting voice stealing with the new White Grand.

I'm just glad the piano quality is better now.