Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard with quality church organ sounds

What would you recommend?

Looking for

- 61 keys

- good range of church/pipe organ sounds

- audio outputs required

- no need for built in speakers

- max weight of around 10kg

Budget: £400-500 (UK)

With budget in mind, second hand is obviously strongly considered!

Happy to hear what you would also recommend if budget were no option.

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That budget is terrible for both of these recommendations but the Hammond SK's have good church organ emulations and the Yamaha montage has a killer church organ performance

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

With budget in mind, second hand is obviously strongly considered! the only option available.

Fixed. :snax:

Dexibell Classic your alley, although it also has built-in speakers.

I am looking for a church real cheap that already has a quality pipe organ.

Much cheaper than a Montage, I bet ;)

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I don't know of anything in that budget range. Outside of it, besides the others mentioned already, there is the Johannus One http://www.johannus.com/en/collection/home-organs/one/one, and Viscount has their Cantorum line http://www.viscountinstruments.com/classic-organs/keyboards-expander.html. Roland used to make some "classic keyboards", and I think Orla did at one point too.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Get a used Alesis QSR rack module and load it with their Sanctuary Q card, these are the best pipe organ samples I've ever heard from a ROMpler.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

Thanks all. I own a Yamaha S70xs so will check out the samples on there. However, I have also just picked up an Alesis QS6.2 on eBay for £75, so will check that out when it arrives. Certainly the key action will be more organ like on there than on the S70xs. Will try and find the Sanctuary card to go with it.

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

Hi --

I'd recommend getting a Yamaha PSR or MOXF with expansion memory and adding a pipe organ expansion pack. The "Church Organ" expansion pack for S-series PSRs is pretty darned good. DCP Productions offers "Majestic Pipes" for MOXF, but I don't have any direct experience with it. At the suggested budget, you're probably looking at a used 'board.

I'm a church musician who gigs every week with an MOX6. The built-in pipe organ sounds are just OK -- nothing to write home about, and to my ears, not much like a real pipe organ. The S-series expansion pack is much better. Of course, there's always Genos or Tyros5, however that's way over budget! :-)

All the best -- pj

Thanks all. I own a Yamaha S70xs so will check out the samples on there. However, I have also just picked up an Alesis QS6.2 on eBay for £75, so will check that out when it arrives. Certainly the key action will be more organ like on there than on the S70xs. Will try and find the Sanctuary card to go with it.

You won't be disappointed with the QS6, check out the "Full Ranks" in the Program banks and "Cathedral" in the Mix banks.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

You won't be disappointed with the QS6, check out the "Full Ranks" in the Program banks and "Cathedral" in the Mix banks.

Thanks man! Appreciate the advice, will check those programs out!

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

I would be interested in how you find the QS6 and the S70. Let us know when you got your QS6. Personally I would think that the QS6 without the card lacks softer registrations. The Full Ranks and Cathedral sounds will only work in rare cases or else sound out of place in my opinion.
2019 W.Hoffmann T122 upright, Roland FP-50, Roland RD64, Korg Microkorg

Hi --

I'd recommend getting a Yamaha PSR or MOXF with expansion memory and adding a pipe organ expansion pack. The "Church Organ" expansion pack for S-series PSRs is pretty darned good. DCP Productions offers "Majestic Pipes" for MOXF, but I don't have any direct experience with it. At the suggested budget, you're probably looking at a used 'board.

I'm a church musician who gigs every week with an MOX6. The built-in pipe organ sounds are just OK -- nothing to write home about, and to my ears, not much like a real pipe organ. The S-series expansion pack is much better. Of course, there's always Genos or Tyros5, however that's way over budget! :-)

All the best -- pj

Excellent suggestion PJD. Ive had a listen and the expansion pact sounds excellent. I just dont feel great about using a Yamaha PSR. I really dont like the look and dont want big cheesy inbuilt speakers. Hoping the Alesis Q Card expansion will give me what I need (in an only marginally less cheesy looking keyboard!)

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

I would be interested in how you find the QS6 and the S70. Let us know when you got your QS6. Personally I would think that the QS6 without the card lacks softer registrations. The Full Ranks and Cathedral sounds will only work in rare cases or else sound out of place in my opinion.

Sure! Will do. Cheers

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

There is always the Roland classic series, not sure about the used price though.
Stuff: Roland:SH-201/U-110/S-330/TR-626/M-48 Akai: miniAK/S6000 Yamaha:DX9/HS8/xs7 Korg:05R/W/AX10G Alesis: Vortex MK1 CME: UF70 classic V2/WIDI Behringer: DSP2024Px2/UMC204HD/101/340/D/03/8 ESI:1010e

One option could be a used Roland vr09. It has all the church organ sounds from Roland Atelier series, quite a lot.

It's possible to use 6 sound simultaneously.

Really? Thats surprising! Can anyone confirm this, or are you really sure? This would be the first time I heard this. Would make the VR09 immediatelly quite interesting to me.

One option could be a used Roland vr09. It has all the church organ sounds from Roland Atelier series, quite a lot.

It's possible to use 6 sound simultaneously.

Really? Thats surprising! Can anyone confirm this, or are you really sure? This would be the first time I heard this. Would make the VR09 immediatelly quite interesting to me.

Yes. Need to be accessed via midi though but can be saved in memories.

Easy with the CTRLR editor.

Read about it here

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2935039/114

• 4 weeks later...

Sure! Will do. Cheers

Hi PianoMan, did you had a chance already to check out the QS6 in terms of church organ sounds and how they compare to the S70?

• 1 year later...
What would you recommend?

Looking for

- 61 keys

- good range of church/pipe organ sounds

- audio outputs required

- no need for built in speakers

- max weight of around 10kg

Budget: �400-500 (UK)

With budget in mind, second hand is obviously strongly considered!

Well if you have any apple computer, mainstage is cheap and has good organs, or even IOS there are some decent ones, no? You can run audio straight out of that, or use a seperate cheap DAC. Then all you need is a decent 61 controller with sliders to do the drawbars. Necktar T6, and there are a bunch of others even cheaper...alot cheaper. And they are very light. Like 10lbs.

OR:

Find a Deal like this

That would proabably sneak you by better than many alternatives, though not as good as the best clones hard or soft. You can get VERY good software organs. Alot of competition for whos does it best, I can't keep track.

In short, with a decent laptop and 500 quid, you could have a great array of church sounds, but would take a lot of time possibly, and once it works, never update the laptop :)

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

Didn"t expect this old thread to get a bump but, as the OP, I can update by saying that I ended up buying A LOT of different things.

Alesis QS6.2 - keyboard arrived faulty so was returned.

Hammond SK1-73 - love it! Brilliant sounds for all types of organs. The pipe sounds are excellent. B3 is obviously brilliant. And the board looks beautiful.

Technics P50 - actually has a nice selection of organ presets, albeit it is a hammer action board.

MarcMoerd IOS app - pricey for an iOS app but the pipe organ sounds on here are absolutely brilliant. I"ve midi"d it to an old Korg X5.

Kurzweil PC3x - bought one of these for the home, for pianos, orchestral and workstation features. However, I noticed that there are some very nice pipe organ setups. Probably the work of someone of the talent of Dave Weiser.

Tempted by a Nord Electro 6d 61 but really need to sell before I buy again!!

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3