Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Donny Hathaway (Wurlie) Appreciation Thread

I've always admired Donny Hathaway as a vocalist but recently have been digging deeper into his keyboard playing and his arranging skills. There are precious few live videos online of Donny -- I could only find a few of him playing Rhodes. But his axe of choice seems to be the Wurlie.

Here's an example -- a great arrangement of Marvin Gaye's What's Going On?, with some tasty Wurlie solos:

[video:youtube]

• Like 1

That's the "record" that all lounge bands should be judged by. I saw Donny right after this recording. He was on a rhodes though. 88 suitcase. The Staple Singers w/Pop opened for him. I knew a couple of the guys playin' with DH. In fact, we still yuk it up on facebook. Willie Weeks sure sounds good on that, as does Freddie White.

I don´t have many words for how much I love D.H. and especially this live album !

I was about 17 when it came out, listened to it countless times and never got tired or bored.

When I want to hear tasty wurlie,- this is it.

A.C.

One of my all-time favourite albums.

:like::like::like:

I loved this record when it came out and still listen to it often. Willie Weeks! :cool::cool:

I couldn't believe it a few years later when I walked into Soundstage to cut a record for Tony Brown and there sat Willie, in the flesh!! We became friends and co-workers for a long while after and I still feel like the luckiest piano player on the planet for having gotten to groove with him so many times. Come to think of it, I probably am the luckiest keyboard player on the planet :laugh:

• Love 1

Oh yes, what an album! One of my all time favourites from this period (alongside "Curtis Live" - also recorded at the Bitter End). Donny's chops and singing are impeccable, the band is on fire from beginning to end.

If you dig the vibe of this album, I strongly recommend the "In Performance" disc also - it's only 6 tracks, but complements "Live" beautifully.

(note that the image in this video is for the "These Songs For You" live compilation, which includes tracks from both "Live" and "In Performance", plus some other unreleased recordings. Basically, pick them all up! You cannot go wrong!

I recall there was a really beautifully packaged 4-CD boxset released a few years ago too. I haven't picked it up, but I really should, given my appreciation for his music.

I'm currently listening to the live take of "A Song For You" - man, what a voice...sends shivers down my spine.

Donny was an incredible talent...he left us far too young.

James

x

EDIT: Donny's album with Roberta Flack is also superb. Here's a live video with some of the cuts from that album. Pretty horrendous sound quality, unfortunately (why are there no DVDs of Donny playing live?!), but the music is still fantastic.

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Donny was amazing. He is someone that is so underrated in my opinion. He was also manic depressive and had paranoid schizophrenia apparently. When I hear him sing there is a lot of pain present, its too bad he died at 33 years old. I didn't know his daughters were graduates of Berklee? Lalah Hathaway sings, and Kenya is a session singer and was on American Idol. Both daughters are graduates of the Berklee College of Music. Check out Lalah singing her dads tune. It's scary how much her phrasing is the same. She is a nice person also:

Here is Elliot Yamin introducing Kenya when he was singing her Song for You at the :55 mark:

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Wurly: I think he used the Leslie 60 speakers. Gave a stereo sound like a Rhodes with satellite speakers.

Pop/Rock - Motif XF, Motif ES

Blues/Jazz - Nord Electro 2-73, Nord Electro 2 Rack

Integrating into new rig: Yamaha Montage

Does anyone know why there are basically no live videos of Donny Hathaway on the internet? Do none exist because it was the 70s and he wasn't famous enough for TV appearances, or is there a vault someone refuses to unlock? Maybe Willie Weeks has the key!

Ill add to the chorus....

One of the TRUE GOATs.....

Killer album, but all of Donnys stuff was without peer!

Lalah is monstrous..... her multiphonic singing is mind blowing!

Many thanks to the OP for this!

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Does anyone know why there are basically no live videos of Donny Hathaway on the internet? Do none exist because it was the 70s and he wasn't famous enough for TV appearances, or is there a vault someone refuses to unlock? Maybe Willie Weeks has the key!

Remember he passed away when there was a lot of competition and he probably never got his dues until he died. It was that way with other famous people also.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Lalah is monstrous..... her multiphonic singing is mind blowing!

Big Donny fan here as well!

And we can't mention Lalah without this video - I just love the reaction of the Snarky Puppy guys around 6:00 (and I imagine they're not easily impressed...):

• 3 years later...

Resurrecting this thread to post this video, which is a pretty accurate cover of Donny's playing on What's Going On.  I've always loved this tune but never got around to transcribing it.  Watching this video gave me another avenue to appreciate the sophistication of Donny's keyboard skills.  So tasty and, imho, way underrated. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Analogaddict said:

I keep coming back to this album. It’s such a masterpiece in every way. This and Aretha live at Fillmore West are my two favorite live albums. 

I’d add Santana’s „Lotus“, Floyd’s „Delicate Sound of Thunder“ and Jarre‘s „Concerts in China“ and you have some of the basic cornerstones of my musical adolescence. 

• Like 1

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio