Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Moving an A100 • dB vs. Hammond

Thanks WesG. My percussion is a little low too. And I found out what dendrites are but haven't gone deep enough for those yet.

I recently lost the percussion on my B3. It was intermittent for a while and after replacing the A7 tube it worked for a short period (maybe part off the intermittency). Now it's dead again.

I found this link and will tackle this soon but if anyone has additional inputs/suggestions I would appreciate it.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is getting a bit long since I noticed it the other day, so I've really only skimmed it at this point. But some people seem to think it makes no difference to leave the generator locked during normal use. In my experience, every organ is different enough that blanket statements don't really apply. I've seen organs that are much louder than others when locked but I personnally don't find it acceptable in any case. My current rig has shock mounts installed and even that are noisier than a suspended generator. You can try it both ways, but it only takes two minutes to change.

Also have you been specific about why you want to use the internal speakers? Is it for reverb? I played an a100 for many years with the AO39 tubes pulled and used a leslie. I feel that the static internals clash with the motion and also sound awful by themselves. The reverb is not really anything to write home about, and a 145 is going to sound great all day long by itself. I actually got my a100 for $200 and sold the internal jensens making the organ virtually free. I've never missed them.

General advice on the leslie: always rebuild any leslie amp you get right away, and it's ok to dime it if that's your sound.

I recently lost the percussion on my B3. It was intermittent for a while and after replacing the A7 tube it worked for a short period (maybe part off the intermittency). Now it's dead again.

I found this link and will tackle this soon but if anyone has additional inputs/suggestions I would appreciate it.

A tube socket that has corroded or loose contacts can cause mischief in the percussion circuit too.

Moe

---

I suggest starting off by buying the the missing tubes and oil since you definitely need these. Oiling is required maintenance and is a easy to do. I use "Hammond Generator Oil" and "Leslie Speaker Oil" (that's how the containers are labeled).

DB, I have a nearly full bottle of Hammond Oil, but no longer have an organ that needs it. PM me your mailing address and I'll USPS it to ya...

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73

Congrats!!! Another happy A-100 owner here. I was told once the A-100 has a bass boost compared to the other models, since the sound was intended to go through the internal speakers. I can't compare, but mine sure packs a punch..!

My B-3 has a lot more bottom end than my A-100 and the Leslie kit in my A-100 is tapping off the internal amp which is supposed to provide this bass boost. YMMV. . .

The internal amp is indeed where the A-100's bass boost (actually a shelving mid/treble cut filter) takes place. Simple R/C network at both grids of the 12AX7 driver tube in the AO-39. But if your B's preamp is in better operating condition (esp. cathode bypass caps) it could certainly have more bottom end. I tap the Leslie feeds from my A-100's off the AO-28 as I think the AO-39's effective bass boost makes it overdrive too soon and can make things a bit muddy...

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

A tube socket that has corroded or loose contacts can cause mischief in the percussion circuit too.

Thanks Moe - will keep that in mind.

Since DB mentioned his non-working A100 reverb I figured it would be of interest to some to see in what a reverb tank looks like and some easy fixes. As I mentioned I noticed my Elements reverb not working a couple of weeks ago. So I opened it up this morning and...

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t490/Markyboard/IMG_3618_zpsfuwydhhh.jpg

Re-seated the RCA connectors but of course that would be too easy if the only problem. Removed the tank from the pcb . Really easy to remove but there's a f*cken nut securing each screw on the underside of the PCB that dropped off into the case. To get those nuts back on would involve removing every knob (secured by allen screws), every potentiometer nut (no love for non-wobbly pots today), the rear panel jack connector nuts and the top panel. Not to service friendly there Ken :facepalm::mad: .

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t490/Markyboard/IMG_3616_zps8uq0hh10.jpg

Anyway... measured resistance between the signal/ground on each of the RCA connectors and between the 2 jacks. I was seeing an open across the input connector where it should read some resistance depending on the design. Pulled and re-seated the little white internal connectors, poked at the micro wires coming off the red mating connector over to the pick-up transformer and all of a sudden I'm seeing resistance.

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t490/Markyboard/IMG_3617_zpshiha0xxv.jpg

Ran a quick test and looks like it's working. Worst case this small tank cost probably $25 - think I'll order a spare. Your A100 tank (presumably larger) might be closer to $60. Still, not too bad if it can't be fixed.

Oh yeah, replaced the original mounting screws/nuts with some self tapping screws :idea:.

Dave's non-working reverb is definitely related to the non-working power amp.

The reverb in the A100 is pretty interesting, the speaker-level output from the AO39 is put through a series attenuator (reverb knob). This goes in through a pair of light bulbs that act as a compressor/limiter (for Dave's vintage - AO35). It will still work if one of the light bulbs blows, much not two. Then it goes straight to the tank (this is a really low impedance tank, kind of unusual and may be hard to source). The output of the tank goes to a pretty vanilla power amp, which then goes to a separate speaker - a wet-only only signal.

Crazy, eh? :)

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

I like working on Hammond stuff because it really makes you scratch your head in awe sometimes. Did you know they *invented* spring reverb? Both Gibbs AND Accutronics are Hammond spin-offs.

As for easy reverb fixes on an A100 - once the internal speakers are working, the next thing is the RCA connectors. They get oxidized, cleaning them is often all it takes.

Of course, the tanks DO fail, but it's just not as common as it is in a combo amp.

'62 A102 with Leslie 122 here. When I acquired it about 10 years ago it had both the internal speakers and the Leslie on. I figured I wanted the internal speakers silent so I disconnected the tubes from the internal speakers' power amp and voila, only the Leslie is on.

I read it isn't good for the amp to run without tubes so I wired in two resistors to bypass the two speakers powered by the main amp while leaving the reverb amp/speaker still operational. I didn't like the sound of the internal main speakers blended with my Leslies and tone cabinets.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

Dave's non-working reverb is definitely related to the non-working power amp.

The reverb in the A100 is pretty interesting, the speaker-level output from the AO39 is put through a series attenuator (reverb knob). This goes in through a pair of light bulbs that act as a compressor/limiter (for Dave's vintage - AO35). It will still work if one of the light bulbs blows, much not two. Then it goes straight to the tank (this is a really low impedance tank, kind of unusual and may be hard to source). The output of the tank goes to a pretty vanilla power amp, which then goes to a separate speaker - a wet-only only signal.

Crazy, eh? :)

Indeed! That is SO cool....

The tubes I ordered should be here today or tomorrow - will let you guys know what happens.

Have I mentioned how much fun I'm having with this thing? Why didn't somebody tell me earlier that I needed to have one of these in my house? Or was I just not paying attention...? :idk::facepalm:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Update:

Got the tubes, put 'em in, no prob. Sound system works (speakers groan a bit when I hit the lowest pedals with both bars out). Reverb does not appear to work.

A100's sound system is too loud. I turned the Leslie up some...but I want less organ, not more Leslie....and I think I wanna be able to turn the sound system off, and/or choose between the two like the Echo switch allows.

dB

A100's sound system is too loud.

Directly below the reverb knob is a toggle switch for softer/louder, something like that (I'm at work so can't check exactly what that is). Try the softer setting and see if that helps.

I wanna be able to turn the sound system off, and/or choose between the two like the Echo switch allows.

Or both. All due respect to Wes, once you have it you will glad you did. Yeah, it's not free but it's not going to break the bank, either.

:nopity:

A100's sound system is too loud.

Directly below the reverb knob is a toggle switch for softer/louder, something like that (I'm at work so can't check exactly what that is). Try the softer setting and see if that helps.

That switch affects the Leslie's feed as well. I only want to turn the organ's sound system down...just a bit, ideally.

I wanna be able to turn the sound system off, and/or choose between the two like the Echo switch allows.

Or both. All due respect to Wes, once you have it you will glad you did. Yeah, it's not free but it's not going to break the bank, either.

:thu:

dB

You can't (easily) turn down the organ's sound just a bit. Your best bet IMO is to dime the Leslie and use the volume soft tablet. Not ideal....but if it is really that loud, I have to wonder if either the Leslie is low on output, or if the AO39 has a problem. R3 or R4 drifting high, while unexpected, could cause that...I think.

As for your reverb not working - that sucks. Try the easy stuff - clean the RCA connectors, reinsert the tubes, turn the reverb knob, make sure all the wires are plugged in. Bang the tank and see if you hear it in the reverb speaker.

If memory serves me correctly, that amp uses EL84s. You might have some available for swapping if you have a Marshall. Or an L100.

Wes

You can't (easily) turn down the organ's sound just a bit. Your best bet IMO is to dime the Leslie and use the volume soft tablet.

The top horn assembly makes a bunch of noise on high speed when I turn the volume up too much.

Not ideal....but if it is really that loud, I have to wonder if either the Leslie is low on output, or if the AO39 has a problem. R3 or R4 drifting high, while unexpected, could cause that...I think.

They're about the same volume. The Leslie has a cleaner sound, so the warmer tone coming from the onboard sound system is overpowering it a little.

As for your reverb not working - that sucks. Try the easy stuff - clean the RCA connectors, reinsert the tubes, turn the reverb knob, make sure all the wires are plugged in. Bang the tank and see if you hear it in the reverb speaker.

Might be the knob. The assembly feels a bit shaky.

If memory serves me correctly, that amp uses EL84s. You might have some available for swapping if you have a Marshall. Or an L100.

I got brand new EL84s, both glowing happily.

dB

If you need a Main/Ensemble/Echo half moon switch, I have one that I bought from Eric that I never put to use I could sell you. It has a 1/4 jack in the bottom to rig up to a clonewheel, but that can be worked around. I don't think the internals are actually wired.

Of course, if you have Ken hook you up, you're golden. :thu:

Have I mentioned how much fun I'm having with this thing? Why didn't somebody tell me earlier that I needed to have one of these in my house? Or was I just not paying attention...? :idk::facepalm:
You weren't paying attention. :poke: Lots of us ended up with a beast like yours, started threads, and basked in all that Hammond/Leslie glory. :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

dB - reverb knob can be eliminated easily, bypass the two wires with alligator clips or something. That will put it in max reverb if everything else works. I think you can just remove four screws on the plate and pull the knob and housing straight up and out of the music desk. But try cleaning the RCA connectors first.

Re. Leslie level - it sounds like your noise floor is way too high, and this is why the organ:leslie balance seems out. You WILL hear some noise with the amp dimed in a quiet room, but it shouldn't be THAT bad. Odd that's worse on tremolo. No hypothesis there.

Re. MEE switches - pay attention when buying that you get the one that matches whatever interface box you're buying. I would recommend buying them both at once. There are a few different designs, and the correct vintage kit for an A100 is a bit hard to come by. It's special because it can switch the reverb off along with the main speakers...and one final caveat, a lot of the time when you MEE up 147, you will find that the 147 hums when the switch is in "main" position. That's because these switches leave the "echo" terminal disconnected rather than grounding them. You'd be able to work around that by putting the load resistor in the 145 to "16 ohm" rather than "open", but then you'll need to feed the Leslie from the AO-39 rather than AO-28. This will sound a bit bassier, and likelier a bit muddier. The way your Leslie is currently hooked up is the same as in a B3.

Wes

Does anyone have tips/tricks for getting an A100 w/ROK up a set of cellar steps? It was hell getting the organ down there... knocked off the half-moon of course.

I was thinking of getting a big thick plywood board, and sort of raising the floor as the organ goes up each step? Or get a long thick strap or rope, and tie it to the A100 and run it up around a big tree trunk, and use that for some extra pulling?

If you're going to stair-step it, make sure one set of wheels are lifted so you can set the organ for a rest.

There's another trick, as well - you can insert a length of iron pipe at the bottom of the ROKs somehow to lift from the bottom. The top person lifting from the bottom means the bottom guy has to do less work. I've never used this trick.

DANGER - if that organ goes tumbling, the bottom person cannot stop it and could be seriously hurt. If you're not comfortable with the move, hire somebody who is.

If you are brave and feel like trying something crazy, line the stairs with plywood to make a ramp. Then borrow a boat trailer or an ATV and use the winch to pull the organ up. Note that it will "hang up" on the top step as you attempt to level it out, so at that point, somebody who has stayed in the basement needs to remove some plywood and give the organ a push from the bottom.

If using a winch, do not pull on anything - if that something breaks, the organ will go crashing down. Instead wrap a strap around the whole organ and pull on the strap.

Does anyone have tips/tricks for getting an A100 w/ROK up a set of cellar steps? It was hell getting the organ down there...

I would also be interested in this. Actually, I never moved mine into my basement because I "knew" it would never come back up without major difficulty. So I bought a Mojo for the basement. :cool:

:nopity:

First, go very,very slowly and have a total of four big guys to help with the lift. We moved an upright grand a while back and literally moved it up the stairs about three inches per lift.

Second, if you can get a couple of 2x6 boards to lay over the stairs that will help with the big push.

Lastly, you need your fingers to play your organ and it would be a shame to damage them on the move. Be very careful.

I'm no expert so others should weigh in here.

If you need a Main/Ensemble/Echo half moon switch, I have one that I bought from Eric that I never put to use I could sell you. It has a 1/4 jack in the bottom to rig up to a clonewheel, but that can be worked around. I don't think the internals are actually wired.

Of course, if you have Ken hook you up, you're golden. :thu:

I'm in, if it'll work. Let's figure it out via PM. Thx!

dB - reverb knob can be eliminated easily, bypass the two wires with alligator clips or something. That will put it in max reverb if everything else works. I think you can just remove four screws on the plate and pull the knob and housing straight up and out of the music desk. But try cleaning the RCA connectors first.

Re. Leslie level - it sounds like your noise floor is way too high, and this is why the organ:leslie balance seems out. You WILL hear some noise with the amp dimed in a quiet room, but it shouldn't be THAT bad. Odd that's worse on tremolo. No hypothesis there.

Re. MEE switches - pay attention when buying that you get the one that matches whatever interface box you're buying. I would recommend buying them both at once. There are a few different designs, and the correct vintage kit for an A100 is a bit hard to come by. It's special because it can switch the reverb off along with the main speakers...and one final caveat, a lot of the time when you MEE up 147, you will find that the 147 hums when the switch is in "main" position. That's because these switches leave the "echo" terminal disconnected rather than grounding them. You'd be able to work around that by putting the load resistor in the 145 to "16 ohm" rather than "open", but then you'll need to feed the Leslie from the AO-39 rather than AO-28. This will sound a bit bassier, and likelier a bit muddier. The way your Leslie is currently hooked up is the same as in a B3.

Again...killer info, my brother. Thank you! You are a resource and a half... :cool:

I think its time to call in Ken Rich.

dB

I moved my M3 up and out my basement by myself using a dolly, a ramp and a come-along with rigging straps that I had hooked to my tractor. I posted about it, it was several years ago.

You could do the same thing with a console, but you would probably need another guy's help to handle it before and after the ramp.