Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Snarky Puppy

Planning on seeing them 5/11 here in Columbus. Can't wait. It looked like Cory was with them in NYC--I saw he live "Periscoped" them playing Lingus last night. I'm assuming he won't be here next week since he's also on tour with his other project, but I'll keep hoping.
My rig: Nord Stage 2 (88 HA); MB Air with MainStage and Komplete "Session Horns;" Roland Jupiter-80; spangled leather poncho with the studs that match your eyes.

Finally heard Shaun Martin soloing on Lingus.

Now this is a tune where in the beginning of the solo, you really have to play laid back and use space and all that (see that other thread). But at the end of the solo you really have to able to play a lot of notes!

And he did it with his left hand while comping on organ with the right.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

Now this is a tune where in the beginning of the solo, you really have to play laid back and use space and all that (see that other thread). But at the end of the solo you really have to able to play a lot of notes!

His quoting "1999" on that was everything.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

Yes, Yes, Yes, and Yes. :keys2:

soloing on the Little Phatty with his left hand was amazing. I watched the concert 2 times last night and most of it this morning before work. Watching Justin and Shaun play is inspiring. Justin's Prophet 6 sounded amazing also. :drool:

:nopity:

Gig report:

Saw the pups last night at Carnegie Music Hall in Homestead (Pittsburgh for all intents and purposes).

Personnel:

Chris Bullock - Tenor sax and flute

Jay Jennings - Trumpet

Mike 'Maz' Maher - Trumpet

Justin Stanton - Keys

Mike League - Bass

Bob Lanzetti - Guitar

Jason Thomas - Drums

Nate Werth - Percussion

Charlie Hunter opened, with Jason accompanying on drums, Chris on tenor and Justin on trumpet. If you've never heard Charlie before, check him out, he plays custom 8 string guitar wherein he plays bass and lead guitar (solos included) simultaneously! Pretty awesome.

Justin's rig was a Rhodes through a Supro amp (guessing the Thunderbolt reissue), Moog Little Phatty, and Prophet 6. The Prophet got plenty of use throughout the night, bringing a new analog poly dimension to both new and classic tunes. Sounded good through the house PA system.

Overall, the set consisted of about half/half new tunes to old tunes. I think they played about 9 songs. The set was a little shorter than I've experienced in the past, clocking in at around and hour and a half.

I must admit some slight disappointment with this show compared to others I've seen. Now, don't get me wrong, the band played great; the main issue was with the vibe of the crowd. The other three times I've seen them have been in outdoor venues or standing-room only clubs; this time, they were in a 1000 seat auditorium. That lent itself to people mostly sitting the entire show; it was a bit too 'proper' for my liking. I think these guys really need a venue with an open floor; a lot of their music makes you want to dance!

That being said, I was glad I went, and will certainly see them the next time they come through Pittsburgh :cool:

Justin's rig was a Rhodes through a Supro amp (guessing the Thunderbolt reissue)

any chance you know if he was using a Ring Mod? The Rhodes was breaking up perfectly when I heard it. I'm not familiar with that amp manufacturer but the sound was reminiscent of 70's Herbie to my ears.

BTW, I thought "JT" was excellent on the drums, Sput is out doing his own thing, as is Corey, as is Shaun.

I've been saying for a while that these guys are the best thing to happen to instrumental music in decades. There's something that feels really special about it to me.

I feel the same way. A friend of mine even got his musical mojo to another level after I introduced him to their music. He's been hooked ever since and practicing his ass off on keys and drums.

Justin's rig was a Rhodes through a Supro amp (guessing the Thunderbolt reissue)

any chance you know if he was using a Ring Mod? The Rhodes was breaking up perfectly when I heard it. I'm not familiar with that amp manufacturer but the sound was reminiscent of 70's Herbie to my ears.

BTW, I thought "JT" was excellent on the drums, Sput is out doing his own thing, as is Corey, as is Shaun.

There was at least one effects pedal in the chain (there was one song they played when the Rhodes had a noticeably different character) but I don't think it was a ring mod. Doesn't mean there wasn't one there, though.

Jason is an awesome drummer, he fits right up there with Sput and Larnell. That's one thing I love about this band - every single player, even if not a 'regular', is a total killer. :rawk:

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/rpantale/pics/snarkyrhodeschain.png

Well, there we go. He 'liked' my last tweet about the Supro but didn't respond, so I assume that's an affirmative to the model of Supro he's running. I love the internet! :2thu:

you tweeters. :D

Thanks for the info. :2thu:

BTW, I never heard any delay on the Rhodes piano when I saw them. The delay he is using was/is a kickstarter project, don't seem to be any available. I'm going to stick with my MiniFooger Delay as it's paid for. :cool:

• 1 month later...

excellent, dB. :keys2:

IIRC though the interview was to be with Corey Henry. I have seen Snarky Puppy 3 times and only once was Corey Henry on the stage. Conversely, I have seen Corey Henry 3 times but only once with Snarky Puppy. Shaun Martin and Justin Stanton would have plenty of cool things to talk about I'm sure. :thu:

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
reviving this thread. :cool:

Snarky Puppy Announces 2019 North American Fall Tour

Japan, New Zealand, Australia, USA, Canada, Europe

now through the end of November :2thu:

https://www.jambase.com/article/snarky-puppy-2019-north-american-fall-tour-tickets

They're playing in LA on my birthday!

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

Thanks for the prompt.

Just checked their scedule. Apart from a break in August looks like they play every night until December - sure don't need any practice time.

I get to see them at Love Supreme Festival in July (Brighton UK) wish they had Lalla Hathaway in the band. I can dream...

Do they always have a vocalist or are they sometimes just instrumental.?