Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Snarky Puppy

Going to see SP live for the first time on Wednesday night!

My son bought me tix for Father's Day, so we're going together to the "Belly Up" in Solana Beach. Anyone been to this venue?

It would be a gas to get to sit in the middle of the band, like in their latest videos, but I imagine that's probably a rare privilege, reserved for well-planned recording sessions...

good for you, Brad. They are excellent live, but the show will be very different from the video's. It's just not practical to tour like that.

:nopity:

Got tickets for their show over here in a couple of weeks. Got my brother tickets for his birthday - he mostly likes pop and indy music, so it'll be interesting to see how he finds them. T'will be my third time seeing them. I'd love to see them play with Shaun Martin, but he won't be at the Glasgow gig unfortunately.

Thing about the Pups is that even if your favourite player ain't playing with them on any given night, you're very unlikely to walk away unhappy. The ensemble, regardless of who's there, rarely disappoints.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

I saw them Saturday night in SF.

One of the best shows I can ever remember seeing, honestly. These guys are simply astonishing. The entire show was completely mesmerizing from the first note to the last...unbelievable positive energy, and every lick of it comes from this completely focused yet still somehow completely musical and emotional place...

...and this was without Cory Henry... :eek:

Really musically intelligent crowd, too - did some nice Shaun Martin call and answer stuff - totally in tune, totally in time. :cool:

They're at UCLA Royce Hall this week in LA as well, but it's sold out.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Do you know if the complete tour is without Cory? Would love to see him live.

No one knows, it's part of the mystique of Snarky Puppy. I've seen them with Shaun Martin on keys and with Corey Henry on keys. Ain't nobody leaving early no matter what the line up. :keys:

:nopity:

Where was Cory Henry? Has he left the group?

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Going to see SP live for the first time on Wednesday night!

My son bought me tix for Father's Day, so we're going together to the "Belly Up" in Solana Beach. Anyone been to this venue?

It would be a gas to get to sit in the middle of the band, like in their latest videos, but I imagine that's probably a rare privilege, reserved for well-planned recording sessions...

Belly Up is perhaps the best sound of any venue in San Diego. Intimate venue, its about 600 max cap, and has great accoustics and sound system both for the audience and on stage (which helps bands play better). Its a great venue to see a band you love, unless they are an over-the-top stage production with massive screens and pyros etc. You wouldn't see a KISS band there, but for SP, its probably perfect. I've played their many times, its a great venue to play.

One of my best friends used to be their top sound engineer - we played in our first rock band together back in the 80s. So English Beat came through town (Dave has a house in Solana Beach or Cardiff), and Dave W loved the sound so much he hired my pal on the spot to go on tour as the band's sound engineer. He's been touring the world with EB for about 3 yrs now.

for decades BU was a cash only bar, i am 95% sure they take CCs now (for a few years) but I still always take cash out of habit. in case you get thirsty.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Can't even imagine how much work goes into that level of seemingly effortless virtuosity.

dB

they are having so much fun and make it look so easy

I give their bass player/MD Michael League a lot of credit for that. You can clearly tell he's the one driving the bus, and he is just SO in the zone.

You can't help but grin watching the guy... :cool:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Perhaps a bit OT, but isn't that Cory on B3 here with Don Henley?

Jerry

Yeah, that's him. What's funny is that around the 2-minute mark you see a shot of a Kronos + Moog on an X-stand. I'm pretty sure that it's Cory Henry's rig from when he plays with his funk project, perhaps they played a few songs before/after the taping of the show?

Anyone know anything about that?

David Dyrholm - Copenhagen.

Rhodes MK II, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Moog Sub 37, Roland Juno 6, Casio PX-5S, MBP w. Mainstage (+ lots of fx pedals).

Endorsed by Casio.

Perhaps a bit OT, but isn't that Cory on B3 here with Don Henley?

Jerry

Yeah, that's him. What's funny is that around the 2-minute mark you see a shot of a Kronos + Moog on an X-stand. I'm pretty sure that it's Cory Henry's rig from when he plays with his funk project, perhaps they played a few songs before/after the taping of the show?

Anyone know anything about that?

I didn't watch this all the way through but maybe he uses it here.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1MnWV6CTGM

I also think the trumpet player is from Tedeschi Trucks Band. Don pilfers the best, apparently.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Can't even imagine how much work goes into that level of seemingly effortless virtuosity.

dB

they are having so much fun and make it look so easy

I give their bass player/MD Michael League a lot of credit for that. You can clearly tell he's the one driving the bus, and he is just SO in the zone.

You can't help but grin watching the guy... :cool:

dB

One thing that definitely helps the tightness is that these guys have been around for over 10 years now I think, playing hundreds of gigs a year.

Technically, Mike's the only permanent member of the band. The group is more of a collective of musicians organized by Mike (I read this from him in an interview somewhere in the past). A lot of the guys do most of the gigs, but Mike's the only one who's done every single one!

It's amazing the quality of players they have who can step in when one of the 'regulars' isn't on the job. I've seen them three times now, never with the same lineup (last time, Cory Henry was on drums!!) and it's been amazing every time.

Saw them this past Sunday at Monterey Jazz. Played the Sunday afternoon gig in the Arena in 95 degree heat and they were cooking. Had their own man on sound out front and it was the best mix of the weekend. All the instruments came through crisp and clear. Totally tight and amazing. Great show.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw them yesterday. First, there was half an hour with singer Lucy Woodward. Absolute fabulous singer. The band was tight, but stayed very musical throughout the songs, accompanying her.

After the break it was time for the instrumentals. The whole band was amazing. Cory Henry was there. He is from another world. He did an really cool solo in Lingus on his white Moog (Phatty?).

The joy this band has in making music is unbelievable. The energy just burst out from the stage. An expiring experience.

Rudy

I'm seeing them on 26 October in Vienna, any forumites coming?

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

I saw them yesterday. First, there was half an hour with singer Lucy Woodward. Absolute fabulous singer. The band was tight, but stayed very musical throughout the songs, accompanying her.

After the break it was time for the instrumentals. The whole band was amazing. Cory Henry was there. He is from another world. He did an really cool solo in Lingus on his white Moog (Phatty?).

The joy this band has in making music is unbelievable. The energy just burst out from the stage. An expiring experience.

Saw a gig in the same series(Utrecht, The Netherlands; missed the support act, though). They brought the entire We Like It Here album back home to Kytopia city.

It was a joy to attend.

Saw them yesterday in Vienna.

Lineup:

Michael League - bass

Bob Lanzetti - guitar

Chris Bullock - sax, flute

Mike Maher - trumpet

Nate Werth - percussion

I didn't pick up the name of the drummer, but it was neither Sput nor Cory nor Larnell Lewis. He was very much a groove player, but a very good one. His solo in What About Me? was VERY different from the one on the recording. He maintained the groove throughout, so it sounded less 'adventurous'.

On keys were Justin Stanton (also playing trumpet) and Bill Laurance. Gear:

Justin: Korg Kronos, Moog Sub 37 and DSI Prophet 08

Bill: Rhodes Stage Mark II, Nord Stage, KingKORG and ROLI Seaboard Rise.

The Rhodes and the Seaboard were not played because (in Bill's own words from the aftershow signing) "the Rhodes was f**ked" and there was something wrong with the laptop too.

I wished for the Prophet 08 to get a solo spot but it was only used for comping, doubling brass lines etc.

Opening act was Michelle Willis, a young songwriter on their label. Accompanied by Michael, Bob and Mike, with M&M singing awesome background vocals! The SP Setlist included something with the working title New Shit.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Saw Snarky Puppy last Friday at the Rialto in Tucson. Unfortunately, Cory wasn't with the band that night but they were simply epic regardless. Has anyone seen this amazing video of Cory during a clinic in Brazil? Some fantastic musical moments here.

Voyager, A Tribute to the Music of Journey - http:// www.facebook.com/voyageraz

Keys: Korg KronosX 88, M Audio Code 61, Novation Launchkey, Mainstage, Keyscape, Omnisphere