Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back

I, like many of you, am considering a second box to augment the low end of the SS3.

I use a GK MB112-II. 200W, 12" LF driver, usable EQ, built in DI, very light. The SS sits on top perfectly and still allows access to the GK's controls.

Unlike seemingly most of the folks on this thread, I take the bass amp with the SS for almost every electronic rig gigs. Just gigged it last night (drums, bass, me and female vocalist) at an upscale venue on Fillmore in SF. Rig was Kronos and Nord Wave. Mostly R&B and funk, and I personally wouldn't do a gig like this without the GK.

Having the additional "heft" in the LF response makes a difference to me, similar to the difference between, say, using a QSC K10 rather than the K8. I even prefer it on solo piano gigs (Yamaha CP4 into SS, sub out to the GK).

IMHO (and I may be in the minority), the rig just sounds better with a little LF extension. You won't need much, and you can easily overdo it. But either the MB110 or MB112 should provide you the lower octave extension that, to me, is so important for "weight". Playing a weekly residency on a Yamaha grand piano makes me very conscious of how much that lower octave "weight" goes MIA with the SS alone. So for me the GK has become de rigueur for me to feel comfortable with the rig.

For other SS users, if that's not your preference, please don't take me to task that I'm "wrong" or "mistaken" or "a newbie" or similar. I've done plenty of "SS only" gigs, and plenty of "SS + GK" gigs, and it's just a personal preference.

I, like many of you, am considering a second box to augment the low end of the SS3.

I use a GK MB112-II. 200W, 12" LF driver, usable EQ, built in DI, very light. The SS sits on top perfectly and still allows access to the GK's controls.

Unlike seemingly most of the folks on this thread, I take the bass amp with the SS for almost every electronic rig gigs. Just gigged it last night (drums, bass, me and female vocalist) at an upscale venue on Fillmore in SF. Rig was Kronos and Nord Wave. Mostly R&B and funk, and I personally wouldn't do a gig like this without the GK.

Having the additional "heft" in the LF response makes a difference to me, similar to the difference between, say, using a QSC K10 rather than the K8. I even prefer it on solo piano gigs (Yamaha CP4 into SS, sub out to the GK).

IMHO (and I may be in the minority), the rig just sounds better with a little LF extension. You won't need much, and you can easily overdo it. But either the MB110 or MB112 should provide you the lower octave extension that, to me, is so important for "weight". Playing a weekly residency on a Yamaha grand piano makes me very conscious of how much that lower octave "weight" goes MIA with the SS alone. So for me the GK has become de rigueur for me to feel comfortable with the rig.

For other SS users, if that's not your preference, please don't take me to task that I'm "wrong" or "mistaken" or "a newbie" or similar. I've done plenty of "SS only" gigs, and plenty of "SS + GK" gigs, and it's just a personal preference.

Bill Spencer, this has been my experience and are recommendations also. Only thing to add is I like to hear that bottom rotor spin and that's what a bass amp will help supply. I think this is the one you were talking about.

I finally found one of these after patiently watching CL. GK Microbass amps are pricey but I got it for about 1/3 the price of new.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/AgcAAOSwpDdU8-OJ/$_1.JPG

Here for the gear.

I know someone posted this once in Season 6, but I just thought I'd pipe in with an endorsement of the Onstage RS4000 as a good option for propping the SS3 sideways. It keeps the amp close to the floor for good bass coupling, folds small enough to fit in an equipment bag or outside pocket of a keyboard case, and the price is more than right.

Onstage RS4000

http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab67/mathofinsects/446311_med_zps8cd1celh.jpg

I ordered this from SW Thurs, selecting the free delivery option. Arrived at my house Friday morning, gigged with the SS sideways on this stand Sat. night on another crowded stage. Amp was about 5 ft. from me, in back slightly to the left. I was stage right again. Best band mix yet!The band and I all could hear me great. Organ on top octaves of VR-09 was not as ear piercing at high volumes as when the amp was straight up but was very clearly heard. EP's sounded great. AP sounded a bit harsh with just me and the SS at high volumes during set up but later meshed with the band (Tom Petty Tribute) beautifully! As a matter of fact this was the best I have ever been able to hear myself play in a band situation. It definitely makes the gig more relaxing and more enjoyable when you can hear what you are playing and know that the audience can as well!

thanks so much for reposting - just ordered mine - been loving my ss - haven't been on the forum for a while - amazed to still see this thread still on page one... guess there's no end to the conversation...

gig: hammond sk-1 73, neo vent, nord stage 2 76, ancona 34 accordion, cps space station v3

home: steinway m, 1950 hammond c2

I, like many of you, am considering a second box to augment the low end of the SS3. I've looked at small powered subs and can't find one small enough. It needs to be no bigger than the SS's footprint, in at least one dimension, so 12" or so. I noticed the bass player last night had a small Gallien-Krueger Bass amp- he said it's a 150w 10", but I can only find 12" that looked like his, with the controls on the front. Any experience with these or any other tiny bass amp? it is worth investigating, or is something that small just not going to help enough?

Note that only one dimension needs to be less than 12, so even a 12" bass combo amp would work, if it's shallow, like his GK is.

Thanks

my Acoustic Image Ten2 is perfect... ymmv...

gig: hammond sk-1 73, neo vent, nord stage 2 76, ancona 34 accordion, cps space station v3

home: steinway m, 1950 hammond c2

I think I am going to get a stand like the RS.

I set SSv3 up different evey gig.

Ended up using a gals collapsable baby carriage last week at an open backed outdoor event.

The most versatile adaptable stage monitor ever made...

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Regarding adding a bass cabinet - I decided to try Timwat's solution here and try a small bass amp rather than a sub. I had tried pairing the SS with one of my Yamaha DXR 12s - it sounded great with plenty of low end authority but I thought the full range cabinet also obscured the stereo effect of the SS, which was not what I was after at all. After trying out a couple of bass amps and playing with the eq settings, I got what I think is a very effective and musical result.

I wound up with a GK Mb112. It seemed to be the best combination of size, low weight, good sound, and reasonable price. GK is a solid company and make good quality amps.

For rehearsals I just use the SS - works great for that. Originally I had thought I would use the SS by itself for gigs with a bass player and only bring the GK along when I need to carry the bass with the keyboard, but I think I'm with Timwat in that I really like having the extra bottom most of the time. It's a nice round, muscular sound - very pleasing. Used with discretion of course - a little goes a long way.

Also, I keep it as simple as possible. Straight to the SS from the keyboard, and sub out from the SS to the GK. No headaches so far!

A bass player I'm playing with this week uses that little monster. He said that once you get used to the fact that every once in a while, you need to open it up and rescrew all the screws, it's a fantastic amp. (No sarcasm, he said like, that's just the cost of ownership and it's worth it.)

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I've never seen one with a 10" either, but it's so small it could be mistaken for a 10.

[url:http://www.gallien-krueger.com/mb-150s112-specs#]GK-MB150S112[/url]

That's the one I saw that got me started on this quest- I'll borrow my friend's for my next key bass gig and report back - it's only about 9" deep!

Thanks

I have a couple of questions / observations.

Will the SSV3 be an upgrade to my Motion Sound KP500 SN ?

I am still very pleased with that amp , but gaining interrest in the SSV3 after people claim it is the best thing that ever happened to them sonically on stage and to the audience.

What I don't understand at all is the many remarks that ''the other band members can hear me better since I use the SSV3''

This begs more questions than it answers questions.

Is your whole band playing on spacestations and were you the last one who switched amps so now everyone can hear eachother better ?

If the guitarists plays on a ''normal'' guitar amp, can you hear him ? Or should he replace his amp so that the rest of the band can hear him better also ?

Are keys the only instruments that suffer from : ''we couldn't hear you that well'', ''but

now you have turned to the spacestation we actually hear you better''.

What is ''better'' supposed to mean ? Louder ? more redifined ? Better stereo separation ?

Maybe because i play on a KP500SN, which can go very loud, onboard EQ, true stereo etc.i frankly don't have a clue what such observations are trying to implicate.. I make sure everyone hears me by creating superb patches, little or no effects, smart eq etc. and I hear the rest of the guys and girls because they take their job serious too.

It seems to me some posters had lousy amps to begin with or big gaps in their stereo set up when using two active speakers, before they bought a proper amp like the spacestation and therefor have such high praises....

Please elaborate...

I, like many others here, was using PA speakers (QSC K8s) for my amplification, which sound great, but are designed to throw sound forward. Guitar amps frequently have an open back, and bass and drums pretty much don't have dispersion problems (understatement!). The SS has what, 300 degree dispersion? I believe that's what most posters are referring to.

Maybe the Motionsound also doesn't have that problem, and I would suspect it's the more like the SS than other KB amplification setups. I tried a Motionsound once, and while I loved the rotor for B3 emulation, thought it was noisy and not HiFi enough for the jazz and quiet R&B type stuff I do mostly- I want a studio monitor-like sound. In that respect, the SS is not as great as my K8s, but the "3D" effect, dispersion and convenience (size for transport and stage space, simplicity) are very compelling reasons to switch.

Hope that helps!

I, like many others here, was using PA speakers (QSC K8s) for my amplification, which sound great, but are designed to throw sound forward. Guitar amps frequently have an open back, and bass and drums pretty much don't have dispersion problems (understatement!). The SS has what, 300 degree dispersion? I believe that's what most posters are referring to.

Maybe the Motionsound also doesn't have that problem, and I would suspect it's the more like the SS than other KB amplification setups. I tried a Motionsound once, and while I loved the rotor for B3 emulation, thought it was noisy and not HiFi enough for the jazz and quiet R&B type stuff I do mostly- I want a studio monitor-like sound. In that respect, the SS is not as great as my K8s, but the "3D" effect, dispersion and convenience (size for transport and stage space, simplicity) are very compelling reasons to switch.

Hope that helps!

Thanks, Yes it does ....

What I like about my current amp is that it still has a high fidelity sound even better than the EV's i used prior to that .(the KP500SN is the biggest and best sounding of the Motion Sound keyboard amps by quite a margin in my opinion)

So if you like your K8's (We had the K12's in our rehersal studio for two months during this summer) better than the SSV3 in ONE aspect (monitor qualities} I think it is not what i want after all.... because I didn't thought the K12's sounded remarkably better than the Motion Sound.

I have some sort of phase shifter onboard the MS that widens the stereo spread considerably...and when used properly it does work.

To my understanding the SSV3 is even better at doing the 300 degree dispersion trick. That alone makes it such and interresting amp.

Althaugh the fact that people like you and others state that the K- series sound better fidelity wise (using a piano sound ?), does concern me to be honest !

A bass player I'm playing with this week uses that little monster. He said that once you get used to the fact that every once in a while, you need to open it up and rescrew all the screws, it's a fantastic amp. (No sarcasm, he said like, that's just the cost of ownership and it's worth it.)

I've played with at least three bassists who've had them onstage (and I set up on the bass side) so when I sold my subwoofer I scoured Vancouver's Boulevard of Broken Dreams (Craigs List) daily until one came up.

:cool:

Here for the gear.

"What I don't understand at all is the many remarks that ''the other band members can hear me better since I use the SSV3''

"This begs more questions than it answers questions.

If the guitarists plays on a ''normal'' guitar amp, can you hear him ?"

It depends--I play in a couple of blues bands with good guitarists, no P.A. except for vocals. Their amps are of course directional and there have been nights when due to the stage layout they've been positioned to fire into the audience and not towards me on the other side of the stage. So sure, I would have liked to hear them better.

I had heard the same thing about me with the P.A. speakers I used for my keys. I could either position them perfectly for me, or for the audience or for my band members, but hitting everyone at the same time wasn't always possible. Now that I have the SS3, I really don't have to worry about the band or the audience, as long as i can position it well for myself.

When you try one, you'll understand. It fills up the stage beautifully, without having to play too loudly. And the audience can hear a 3 dimensional sound even if they aren't in the sweet spot--in fact, I'm not sure there really is a sweet spot.

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

Doing a small theater gig Friday night, about 85 seats. Piano trio (well, Px5s with acoustic bass and drums) backing a female vocalist. In rehearsal I've been running my keys and her vocals through the SS3 via a small mixer, and I think I'll do the same thing in the performance. Sounds just right to me.

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

In rehearsal I've been running my keys and her vocals through the SS3 via a small mixer, and I think I'll do the same thing in the performance. Sounds just right to me.

I haven't yet tried to run vocals through it, and you have me intrigued. Can you describe what the SS does for female voice? I'm curious.

I finally caved to the GAS. I've been debating buying a SS for a few weeks and reading from the start of this thread for maybe a month. I'm currently on pg. 225, and based on my settings it's currently 428 pages. I'm still determined to read through the rest and catch up, as there's so much great info here... thanks to everyone who has been contributing with their knowledge and experiences!

I can't be sure, but I'd imagine there wouldn't be half as many owners without Aspen chiming in with his personal insight and service by answering everyone's questions... a big kudos to him!

I lucked out and caught a SS on "open box special" on Sweetwater's site (actually saw on ebay first) for about 10% off full price.

I'm not gigging actively, but I'm hoping this amp will help solve the sound issues I encounter when playing at a small church. The sound is different depending on where you sit, and maybe this will be the ticket to distributing the music more evenly. I can't wait to try it out!

MainStage; Hammond SK1-73; Roland XP-80, JV-90, JV-1080, JV-1010, AX-1; Korg microSAMPLER;

Boss DR-880; Beat Buddy; Neo Instruments Ventilator; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay

I am a member of a small church as well, hatricklov - an old fashioned traditional building from the 1920's, with a high ceiling sanctuary and small balcony. Seating for about 150, including the balcony. Acoustically it's a pretty friendly place to play.

I spent an evening there with my SS and a 10" JBL Eon for comparison purposes. Both speakers were placed on the floor near the altar, leaned back against a wall as per Aspen's instructions. No subs used. Both speakers filled the space just fine - The JBL sounded pretty good, with a touch more clout in the lower frequencies. But the SS filled the space in a different way - very spacious and three dimensional as advertised. The difference was striking - I used my trusty old Yamaha P120 in demo mode as the sound source, while I listened in various places throughout the sanctuary.

Through the JBL it sounded fine, like you'd expect through a decent speaker. Like an average piece of recorded music. Through the SS it sounded "live" instead of canned. Really present and enveloping, no matter where I was in the sanctuary. It sounded best from the balcony for some reason - the farthest away from the speaker. Other posts have talked about needing some distance to get the full effect of the SS, and I concur.

As an aside, I did a duo gig the other night - Female vocals and rhythm guitar with myself doing light comping and solos while attempting to also cover the bass lines. My partner's vocals and guitar was through the PA, and I was just running keys through the SS. Since I was covering the bass lines I was also running a small bass amp from the sub out of the SS. I was sitting in a corner with the SS/bass amp about two feet behind me. I had my rig turned way down, and was wondering if they could even hear me in the audience. I asked a couple of friends in the audience about any balance issues, and they both said the piano was a little loud! So it's true that this unit fills a room differently than a "conventional" speaker does.

It also colors the sound a bit (to my ears anyway), with emphasis on the midrange. A little EQ fixes that nicely.

My two cents. Enjoy your new amp!

I don't remember seeing this Seismic Audio sub earlier in the thread. SA mini-tremor It's 10", 27 lbs of plywood, 250W mono with a variable low pass filter. Could be a good choice for those looking for a simple set-up using the SS sub-out - if you didn't need a lot of power and were just looking for a little low-end reinforcement. It's VERY cheap - usually $189.99. Just got an email of a blowout coupon code: RMT20. 20% off ($151.99!) Free shipping, 30 day return. I can't recommend it. I got the email because I bought some cables from the company; I've never heard their audio components. I have the Behringer already and it suits my needs, but this looks like it might be a good match for some.

edit. Just read down the webpage and read a very positive review from a SS V3 user - "Just Ed" from RI. So probably this has been discussed. Still a great price.

Hammond SK1, Casio Privia PX5-S, SpaceStation V.3, Behringer B1200D, 2-EV ZxA1s

MacBook Air, Novation ReMOTE 37SL, Logic, Pianoteq 5 Stage, Scarbee Vintage Keys

The MIDI Gizmo Museum!

I spent an evening there with my SS and a 10" JBL Eon for comparison purposes. Both speakers were placed on the floor near the altar, leaned back against a wall as per Aspen's instructions. No subs used. Both speakers filled the space just fine - The JBL sounded pretty good, with a touch more clout in the lower frequencies. But the SS filled the space in a different way - very spacious and three dimensional as advertised. The difference was striking - I used my trusty old Yamaha P120 in demo mode as the sound source, while I listened in various places throughout the sanctuary.

Through the JBL it sounded fine, like you'd expect through a decent speaker. Like an average piece of recorded music. Through the SS it sounded "live" instead of canned. Really present and enveloping, no matter where I was in the sanctuary. It sounded best from the balcony for some reason - the farthest away from the speaker. Other posts have talked about needing some distance to get the full effect of the SS, and I concur. It also colors the sound a bit (to my ears anyway), with emphasis on the midrange. A little EQ fixes that nicely.

My two cents. Enjoy your new amp!

I appreciate your two cents and would say they're probably worth a bit more to me! Pretty high ceilings in the sanctuary from a generally triangular/wedge-shaped roomno balconies. ;-)

I'll be playing my SK1 with organ, piano and piano+string patches. I'll also midi it to a Roland JV-1080 just for a couple of odd sound effects off the Vocal Collection card. Additionally, I'm planning on routing my DR-880 drum machine in as well. I'm a bit concerned about getting all of that dialed in, but I have a decent start based on the info from this thread. Still on the fence about NEEDING a sub or not.

MainStage; Hammond SK1-73; Roland XP-80, JV-90, JV-1080, JV-1010, AX-1; Korg microSAMPLER;

Boss DR-880; Beat Buddy; Neo Instruments Ventilator; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay

paying off remodel, 4 new tires, new crown at the dentist, property tax, quarterly tax payment ... maybe SS by Xmas. Waiting for the checks to come in ...
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Last night I did a jazz trio gig in a small theater, 50 people. Backing a singer, with amped acoustic bass and a drummer. I decided to play my new Casio px5s through the SS3. My buddy ken Bichel showed me something cool--by adding just a touch of chorus with one of the sliders, it makes the acoustic pianos sound far more realistic.

The SS3 was sideways on a stand as usual, and i ran the singer's voice into it via a little alesis mixer. Aside from her being a little shy with her volume at first--she's a talented amateur, not a pro--it was perfect. My fiancé said to me that to her ears it sounded like an actual acoustic piano and the singer didn't really sound amplified, just naturally loud. Sitting next to the amp, I wouldn't describe it like that but I liked what I heard.

Plus I played like a badass on my tango arrangement of Comes Love :)

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

Alright. I know I already have the Behringer, but c'mon - 150 bucks?! 27lbs? I just ordered the SA mini-sub.

Hammond SK1, Casio Privia PX5-S, SpaceStation V.3, Behringer B1200D, 2-EV ZxA1s

MacBook Air, Novation ReMOTE 37SL, Logic, Pianoteq 5 Stage, Scarbee Vintage Keys

The MIDI Gizmo Museum!