Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back

off topic here but I cant figure out how to make a new post so I will just ask you guys. Does anyone know what the synthesizer was that was used on the short solo on Oh What a Night by the 4 seasons? Thanks in advance and sorry for the annoyance!!

I think it's just a Minimoog.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I may have been the first to try the B1200. I don't recall which sub Math is using but I'm still very happy with it because of everything he just wrote. For my purposes, the $300 sub works just fine; if anything, it's overkill.

Believe it or not, I'm using Roland's KCW-1 sub. They sold it for a short while to complement the infamous KC amps. I found it cheap on Craigslist. It turns out that everything that makes those KC amps obnoxious--thwumpy, blocky, too-focused--makes a sub sound great. Or great enough, anyway.

I've never needed the bass boost or even much volume. It's got a nice warm kick that counteracts the sometimes too-focused mids of the SS3 nicely. I've been pleasantly surprised; I bought it thinking it would be a temporary fix. So far I haven't found a good enough reason to replace it.

The only drawback is that the active crossover only works with a Roland keyboard's "sub out" feed. So I go mixer > ss3 > sub. That puts x-over at sub's high of 100, which is where I want it anyway. But I wouldn't have minded sending SS3 a post-Xover signal (a la Beri).

www.joshweinstein.com

off topic here but I cant figure out how to make a new post so I will just ask you guys. Does anyone know what the synthesizer was that was used on the short solo on Oh What a Night by the 4 seasons? Thanks in advance and sorry for the annoyance!!

I think it's just a Minimoog.

I thought it was a Nord Lead :laugh:

:nopity:

I thought it was a Nord Lead :laugh:

I think those came out in 1977. :)

they actually came out in 1974 just in time to record this song for the 1975 release, best I can remember. Of course I'm suffering from damnesia. :D

:nopity:

I am planning on buying the SS over the summer but I like experimenting with this stuff. Would a set up like this with two powered monitors approximate the SS ? One powered speaker has R & L rca inputs (I presume swapping them like in diagram changes polarity?). This monitor I am using for side firing R-L actually has a passive speaker output for the other side speaker. The other powered speaker (center-front)has two channels of 1/4" input.

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss153/bossbandbob/Ideas%20-%2012.jpg

Hammonds:1959 M3,1961 A-101,Vent, 2 Leslies,VB3/Axiom,

Casio WK-7500,Yamaha P50m Module/DGX-300

Gig rig:Casio PX-5S/Roland VR-09/Spacestation V3

http://www.petty-larceny-band.com

they actually came out in 1974 just in time to record this song for the 1975 release, best I can remember. Of course I'm suffering from damnesia. :D

Not me. Everything I say always makes complete astronaut.

www.joshweinstein.com

I am planning on buying the SS over the summer but I like experimenting with this stuff. Would a set up like this with two powered monitors approximate the SS? The right side- firing speaker is passive. One side-firing powered speaker (left) has R & L rca inputs (swapping them changes polarity?),this monitor I am using for R-L actually has a passive speaker output. The other powered speaker (center) has two channels of 1/4" input.

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss153/bossbandbob/Ideas%20-%2012.jpg

Actually just tried this with 2 side firing speakers. Not sure if I actually reversed the polarity on those and if this sounds like the Space Station but this sure does sound good with a leslie sim or my Ipod playing. The stereo effect is strong anywhere in the room except when your right near the speakers. The volume is also the same anywhere in the room. It follows me into the next room and up the stairs as well but with decreasing volume with distance.

EDIT: Even though the speakers are 6' in front of my keyboard, the Leslie effect seems to be coming from behind me as well. Tres Cool!

Hammonds:1959 M3,1961 A-101,Vent, 2 Leslies,VB3/Axiom,

Casio WK-7500,Yamaha P50m Module/DGX-300

Gig rig:Casio PX-5S/Roland VR-09/Spacestation V3

http://www.petty-larceny-band.com

I own the SS ,a pair of them and I'm still experimenting.

As a pa this may not be for everyone.

But,if you don't mind the work it can pay off.

I haven 't been fully paid yet however.

I'm taking the risk so others won't have to.

Doesn't that make me a hero? Or just a goof?

Hero! Bend the rules... break the wheel!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Attention Behringer Sub fans: I just got an email from Sweetwater that they have a demo available of the B1200D PRO sub for 269.99.

Hurry! Act fast! First one to click wins!

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/B1200DPROd1

Nord Stage 3 Compact

Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

Korg Kronos 2 73

Mag C2 organ

UHL X3-1 organ

GSI DMC-122 

Radial KL8

Motion Sound Kp500S

Macbook Pro 
Falcon, UVI, Kontakt, Logic, PT

Played a gig last night where amps were our FOH sound. This was a jazz crowd in a large but low-ceilinged room, though the band is funk, not jazz. "PA" was a single powered speaker (underpowered, from what I later heard from a few people in the audience)."

Guitar player showed up without an amp. Long story, but point is he needed sound. That powered speaker had one, count 'em one input, and he needed it for the mic. So I ran him into my little mixer and through the SS3.

Sounded FANTASTIC. "Better than my amp," he said. To be sure, volumes were lower all around. BUT...for those who have asked about running a band through SS3, I can report that the guitar and keys each came through crystal clear. There were times where I thought it might even make a better guitar cab than key cab, given the middiness of the 8" speaker.

The other cool part was that we played in a "shell" (literally; see pic) so anything from the sides of the SS3 got to ride along the wall and shoot out like a shower head. So leslie-sounds were especially spacious and warm on this one.

http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab67/mathofinsects/shell_zpswxuwhpcf.jpg

www.joshweinstein.com

Brain-sploogingly good.

Now what do you want to bet that someone's going to come along and say something about suits and guitars for no apparent reason? I'm getting a B word. Bahamas? No: Belize! And a V word...no not that one. Maybe just V? I don't know, we'll see.

www.joshweinstein.com

Guitar players. :facepalm:

Guitar players dressed for summer in Belize, sporting a flying V. :facepalm: :facepalm:

With your kind permission, may I just add one little detail to your excellent face palming notion? Ok, cool, that was very decent of you; and so quickly too!

Guitar players in summer is good, in Belize ditto, sporting a flying V... right on. Now for my little detail that I present for your inspection, and feedback. All of the above, but said guitarists are significantly Under the ocean! What do you think, I'd like to know.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement