Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Snarky Puppy

I don't think the Lingus video was posted above.

[video:youtube]

4:20 for the Cory Henry solo.

Busch.

Yeah, they just released this one today.

Everyone needs to listen to this solo. Seriously. It's a harmonic masterpiece.

Linked that a couple of days ago in the listening thread, but without the vid from the DVD. Absolutely insane. Love it.

Also in the DVD commentary, they say that they wrote/jammed most of that album in 3 days, and that that drummer in the vid arrived in the studio THAT MORNING without having played with them before.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

I like how Shaun Martin just goes "that's it! I'm out!"

And that's Shaun Martin, who is a bad, bad dude.

Absolutely love his expression, and as you say he shreds!!!

Great video. It's amazing how much more I appreciate the music after watching the video.

These guys are amazing!!

aL

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

That was pretty hilarious.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Great idea: perform house concerts but bring a trunk of headphones and a rack of headphone amps instead of a PA!

Mark

"Think Pink Floyd are whiny old men? No Problem. Turn em off and enjoy the Miley Cyrus remix featuring Pitbull." - Cygnus64

Life is shorter than you think...make it count.

I feel so good to have discovered this group. I'm reminded of some excellent fusion groups from the '70s, such as Friendship (Lee Rittenour, Don Grusin, Ernie Watts, Alex Acuña, Abe Laboriel and Steve Fisher), and then later Flim and the BBs, and even some of Dave Grusin's early projects...where you have high level musicians playing interesting melodic music that managed to be both challenging and accessible at the same time.

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

Cory Henry made a name for himself tearing it up on the Gospel circuit several years ago. It is great that he was able to join a band that allows him to showcase his chops to a different audience.

IMO, Michael League deserves a lot of credit for coming up with Snarky Puppy. They are the ultimate jam band in terms of giving a diverse group of musicians an outlet to really play. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I know the beginning of the tune is living in 5/4 and double time 5/4. What the hell time signature are they in when Corey's solo starts? And the whole trading with the horns at the end. I can't seem to find the one. Help?

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

I know the beginning of the tune is living in 5/4 and double time 5/4. What the hell time signature are they in when Corey's solo starts? And the whole trading with the horns at the end. I can't seem to find the one. Help?

Looks like it might actually be in 5/4 the whole time?

Lingus sheet music/transcription (click preview and read what Mike has written about letter I)

Snarky Puppy actually has sheet music for all of their last 3 instrumental albums here Pretty pricey if you want all of them, but you can preview the first 9 or 10 pages for free, and there's actually a lot of great background info about each song in the first couple pages.

Looks like it might actually be in 5/4 the whole time?

Lingus sheet music/transcription (click preview and read what Mike has written about letter I)

Snarky Puppy actually has sheet music for all of their last 3 instrumental albums here Pretty pricey if you want all of them, but you can preview the first 9 or 10 pages for free, and there's actually a lot of great background info about each song in the first couple pages.

Thanks for this! Can not stop dissecting this tune.

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

Speaking of, found this nice gem.

Speaking of, found this nice gem.

I actually saw this a couple of weeks back and thought "You know, I do similar things all the time, but they lack structure. I'll try this."

So for an experiment I've been religiously doing most of those exact exercises before any practice session (sometimes if that's all I have time for that day, that's all I do), and in just 2 weeks I've noticed a definite increase in the fluidity of my playing.

The whole "Do a scale once in crotchets, then quavers, then triplets, then semi-quavers, etc" thing has for some reason been much more effective than just going over major scales once with a metronome.

ALso, speaking of Shaun Martin: [video:youtube]kDXnPfA_5pY

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

• 2 weeks later...
I don't think the Lingus video was posted above.

4:20 for the Cory Henry solo.

Busch.

Yeah, they just released this one today.

Everyone needs to listen to this solo. Seriously. It's a harmonic masterpiece.

I'm late to the party, seriously, that solo is it. The Kronos EP pre-solo sounds great. Someone explain what he's doing harmonically. He makes it look so easy.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

• 1 month later...
The pups are back on tour in the US

I have a ticket for next Wednesday's sold out show at "The Hamilton" in sunny downtown DC. 500 person capacity venue, 300 sitting 200 standing. I always stand. Excited about this. :thu:

:nopity: