Music Player Network
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
icarusi #2516570 08/04/13 01:28 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
As much as I've love SP over the years, and as happy as I am that they're finally getting there props, all I can say is...

Damn, now the secret is out!

Feels funny seeing the band you've turned dozens of people onto suddenly blowin' up like this.. Feels good though! And while Im on a keyboard forum talking about Snarky, I gotta say Shaun Martin is the hottest, nastiest, bad-asseded keyboard wrecka in the country!! Although I do love what Corey has brought to the table recently too.

What's new for SP? According to Michael League on there last show in Atlanta, they have an album coming out this year or early next year which features many of the incredible vocalists that have sat in with them over the years. Something like that could possibly turn them into the next EW&F.

When they were here this spring, they played for 2 nights.. One night was all instrumental, the next night featured Atlanta vocalists...AMAZING!! In addition to that there's another instrumental live album in the works!! Can't wait!!

Guys, GO SEE THEM LIVE... IT WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE!!

TROLL . . . ish.
Keyboard Corner Island
meccajay #2516581 08/04/13 05:11 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: meccajay
And while Im on a keyboard forum talking about Snarky, I gotta say Shaun Martin is the hottest, nastiest, bad-asseded keyboard wrecka in the country!!

One of my all-time favourite keyboard solos, bar none is at 5:20.

cool cool cool

I actually had to look through my old posts to make sure I hadn't posted about it in the previous lives of the thread. I tend to yammer on about this one, and the album in general.

MAJUSCULE #2516690 08/04/13 07:40 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I read this thread's title as "Skinny Puppy."

R
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
R
New album from these guys drops next week! I'm excited.

Here's the first song they've released. More to follow over the coming weeks.

darc68 #2573002 02/17/14 04:03 PM
S
S
They are like an extremely funky Steely Dan. Super tight and great soloing on any given instrument.
Been my favorites for quite some time now.
Truthfully I don't listen to a lot of different stuff, but do these guys have any peers in this style?

Paul

Last edited by simajanpa; 02/17/14 04:22 PM.

MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: RichieP_MechE

I actually can't keep up. I don't understand how quickly they work. Seems like they put out two albums a year while touring 8-9 months a year. And then a bunch of them still manage to have side projects. Ridiculous.

MAJUSCULE #2573080 02/17/14 07:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
New album is exciting, thanks for that.

Seen then live twice in 2 days, they played once then did a secret show in a tiny club the following night, was life changing. I'm playing Ready Wednesday for a recital in May. Dem rhythms be workin' me hard. Not to mention that solo at around 5.40. Ouch.

Nord E4 SW73
Yamaha MODX7
Mainstage 3
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club

Good grief that's a lot of headphone outs! laugh

‚Äč"How long will it take me to master Aikido piano?" a prospective student asks.

"How long do you expect to live?" is the only respectable response.
MAJUSCULE #2573096 02/17/14 07:52 PM
R
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
R
Originally Posted By: MAJUSCULE
I actually can't keep up. I don't understand how quickly they work. Seems like they put out two albums a year while touring 8-9 months a year. And then a bunch of them still manage to have side projects. Ridiculous.

Seriously. And they've been keeping up this record/touring schedule for like the last 5 years freak

simajanpa #2573108 02/17/14 08:57 PM
R
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
R
Originally Posted By: simajanpa
Truthfully I don't listen to a lot of different stuff, but do these guys have any peers in this style?

The Funky Knuckles have kind of a similar vibe.

R
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
R
I heard this song for the first time when I saw these guys live for the first time ever last summer.

As they ripped into this song to start the show, my friend and I looked at each other, our reaction summed up as "Holy sh*t!!!"

Hearing this studio version for the same time, my reaction is the same! rawk

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Friend of mine just turned me on to The Motet. Great band, and the same kind of vibe.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles
http://philipclark.com

King Super 20 Alto, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, M-Audio ProKeys88sx, Roland MKS-50
M
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
M
I heard this song for the first time when I saw these guys live for the first time ever last summer.

As they ripped into this song to start the show, my friend and I looked at each other, our reaction summed up as "Holy sh*t!!!"

Hearing this studio version for the same time, my reaction is the same! rawk

Just freaking unbelievable chops for such young 'uns...

aL

Gear: NS3 HP76, Mojo 61, NS2 73, NS 88 classic, Deepmind 12, C. Bechstein baby grand.
Music*aL #2575297 02/25/14 02:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

King Super 20 Alto, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, M-Audio ProKeys88sx, Roland MKS-50
Music*aL #2575299 02/25/14 02:41 PM
R
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
R
The album is here! You can preview it at the link below. Lingus features an awesome keyboard solo by Cory Henry.

We Like it Here by Snarky Puppy

Last edited by RichieP_MechE; 02/25/14 05:34 PM. Reason: Misspelled Cory's name
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The album is here! You can preview it at the link below. Lingus features an awesome keyboard solo by Corey Henry.

Beat you by one minute. :-P

R
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
R
Originally Posted By: Dreamchilde
The album is here! You can preview it at the link below. Lingus features an awesome keyboard solo by Cory Henry.

razz grin

Last edited by RichieP_MechE; 02/25/14 05:34 PM. Reason: Misspelled Cory's name
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The album is here! You can preview it at the link below. Lingus features an awesome keyboard solo by Corey Henry.

razz grin

Just listened to Lingus. HOLY BALLSACKS. I wonder if Cory was playing the Roli on that solo.

Last edited by Dreamchilde; 02/25/14 04:17 PM.

MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Checking it out now. This shit is insane. What is with today? I'm starting a thread on today.

R
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
R
Just listened to Lingus. HOLY BALLSACKS. I wonder if Cory was playing the Roli on that solo.

So the DVD arrived the other day and I finally had a chance to watch it. The Rhodes sound is coming from a Kronos, and the synth?

It's a King Korg shocked shocked shocked

The instrument so maligned here on the KC for its crappy action.

Just goes to show: its not the gear, its the player. cool

darc68 #2576765 03/02/14 07:42 PM
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Is it just me, or does this guy look (and move) like Rai Thistlewayte ??

Don't rush me. I'm playing as slowly as I can!

www.stevenathanmusic.com
https://apple.co/2EGpYXK
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
Online Content
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club

It's a King Korg shocked shocked shocked

The instrument so maligned here on the KC for its crappy action.

Just goes to show: its not the gear, its the player. cool

I don't think anyone with any sense has ever disputed that "its not the gear, its the player". People complain about the action of Rhodes Piano's everyday. King Korg is just another keyboard in a long line of keyboards with crappy action. Doesn't mean someone can't make music with it though. This is not breaking news.

nopity
Doerfler #2576847 03/03/14 06:15 AM
Saw these guys yesterday at Java Jazz Festival. Were incredible! Everything was just so tight. Justin Stanton was mostly playing a Moog Little Phatty Tribute ed. (I think), and possible underneath was a Motif XF7, but couldn't really see. Almost every stage seemed to have Motif's as the stock keyboard of choice, unless players were using their own rigs. Bill Laurence was playing a Rhodes mostly, with a Nord Stage 2 on top. Apart from a pretty cool synth solo by Justin, the keys didn't feature prominently in this gig (Cory Henry was sadly not there).

RD700NX, Krome 61, Acuna 73 + Mainstage 3
clavjav #2576874 03/03/14 10:55 AM
R
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
R
Originally Posted By: davedoerfler
I don't think anyone with any sense has ever disputed that "its not the gear, its the player". People complain about the action of Rhodes Piano's everyday. King Korg is just another keyboard in a long line of keyboards with crappy action. Doesn't mean someone can't make music with it though. This is not breaking news.

Sure, but sometimes I think we all get a little caught up in complaining about gear when we actually should be practicing laugh

Originally Posted By: clavjav
Saw these guys yesterday at Java Jazz Festival. Were incredible! Everything was just so tight. Justin Stanton was mostly playing a Moog Little Phatty Tribute ed. (I think), and possible underneath was a Motif XF7, but couldn't really see. Almost every stage seemed to have Motif's as the stock keyboard of choice, unless players were using their own rigs. Bill Laurence was playing a Rhodes mostly, with a Nord Stage 2 on top. Apart from a pretty cool synth solo by Justin, the keys didn't feature prominently in this gig (Cory Henry was sadly not there).

Thanks for the gig report! When I saw them, there were no Motifs, so I'm guessing that's probably backline. The Moog LP does seem to be a staple of their keyboard arsenal, though.

N
Gold Member
Gold Member
N
Not to revive a dead thread... but I stumbled upon some live YouTube videos of Snarky Puppy which happen to have Cory Henry's Hammond really loud, so are great to listen to. Maybe just accidentally filmed on a phone in front of the keyboard monitor?

Anywhere here's one:

And the same user has posted lots of other clips from the same gig (also with loud keyboards).

And... just got my ticket today to see Snarky Puppy for the first time on May 4th. Excited!

nickd #2582680 03/20/14 08:25 PM
They're in Erie PA tonight and it's down the road an hour and tickets are $12...and I'm not going! I know I will regret it but I drove two hours to Buffalo last night for the Metheny Unity Group. Amazing show. But after working a full day I've got nothing left.

Malpaugh #2582698 03/20/14 10:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member
They're in NYC this coming Saturday and none of my friends can make it. I'm seriously bummed.

Mike from Central NJ
Tools: Ten fingers, two feet, middle-age brain, questionable judgement and taste
Toys: More gear than I could afford when I had talent and did this for a living
R
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
R
Pittsburgh tomorrow, of course I'll be there! Gig report forthcoming.

R
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
R
Last night in a word - amazing.

Opening act was Allison Wedding, an NYC based singer, and friend of Snarky Puppy (she's on their record label). She was accompanied by Bob Lanzetti and Mike League, both on guitar (though about halfway through the set Mike switched to bass). Very impressive vocalist; she's a fantastic improviser.

The Snarky Puppy lineup for the evening was:
Mike - Bass
Bob - guitar
Nate - percussion
Sput - drums
Shaun - keys
Justin - keys and trumpet
Maz - trumpet
Chris - tenor sax and flute

I was right by the stage next to the horn section. All the material came from the last three instrumental albums (Tell Your Friends, Ground Up, and We Like It Here). The set started out slow and gradually got more and more intense. It was great.

Setlist (thanks to tonedeaf who taped the show )

Kite
Bent Nails
Skate U
Tio Macaco
Thing Of Gold
What About Me?
Shofukan
Young Stuff
Quartermaster
Sleeper
Binky > Give Up the Funk (encore)

Chris Bullock played with more intensity than most sax players I've ever seen. Great player. Mike 'Maz' Mayer was a bit more mellow but still played some great lines. Both Chris and Maz have started using a second mic hooked up to a pedal board for a lot of cool effects; they both played them well (A tenor through a Digitech Whammy pedal sounds awesome!)

Shaun Martin is a such a ham and a great player. He really knows how to work a crowd, and a solo as well.

The person that impressed me most was Justin Stanton. He held it down on keys all night, and picked up the trumpet when needed. Great solos from him both on keys and trumpet. As a trumpet player, he really impressed me when he picked up the trumpet for the first time all night and nailed the high B's on the chorus of SkateU (after probably not touching his horn for two hours prior!)

On Quartermaster, guest player and Pittsburgh young lion Brett Williams came up to play keys (keep an ear out for this kid, he's going places, and currently touring with Marcus Miller). He absolutely crushed it. Listen here. You can hear the crowd go crazy as he snuck up onto stage. That's a Kronos rhodes you're hearing.

The encore was Binky which transitioned into big jam on Give Up the Funk. Super fun, the whole audience singing along; it was great. I had a stupid grin on my face the entire time during the entire show; it really was that good.

Last but not least, here are some crappy cell phone pics of the keyboard rigs for the evening:

Shaun Martin's setup. Moog Little Phatty on top, and a Roland Fantom G7 on bottom. The Moog was patched through a talkbox when they played Sleeper. In the foreground is Mike League's Moog Sub Phatty. He ran it through his bass rig (actually disconnected from his P bass and plugged that into his Moog)

Justin Stanton's setup. Roland Juno Di on top, Korg Kronos 61 on bottom. He had a couple effects pedals, but the only one I saw him use was a wah pedal on Bent Nails.

To conclude: if this band is in your town, do not miss them! They really are that good.

MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Damn, Richie! Sounds awesome! Thanks for the bootleg link, I'm checking it out now. Love the quoting in Bent Nails. I also love how they can strip the band down and still have the tunes sound complete. Great playing and arranging. cool

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner 

Link Copied to Clipboard