Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Snarky Puppy

Vintage Synths, Piano`s, Nord Leads, Hammonds and a Violin w/ distortion all used by a

Great new group a friend of mine posted on FB yesterday. Its refreshing to hear such great new music. "Slow Burn" Is the name of the song.

Motif ES7

Korg Triton Pro76

Roland Fantom X8

CP -33

Custom B-3 Chop w/ 145 Leslie

These guys are amazing. I've seen them live a bunch over the past few years. Bassist/composer/leader Michael League is a phenomenal musician.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

Where are they From David R? What`s thier live line-up I wonder? I`d imagine bringing the entire group out is a major event.

Motif ES7

Korg Triton Pro76

Roland Fantom X8

CP -33

If I remember correctly, they're all a bunch of North Texas grads. Michael and Zach Brock live in Brooklyn, not sure how many other guys are NY-based these days. Last time I saw them the line up was:

Drums, perc, bass, guitar, keys, 2 saxes & trumpet, and Zach sat in with them on violin.

Zach's trio, The Magic Number, was opening for them throughout the tour - check out www.zachbrock.com.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snarky_puppy

Snarky Puppy is a Brooklyn-based instrumental fusion band led by bassist, composer and producer Michael League. Formed in Denton, Texas in 2004, the band features a collective of nearly 30 musicians, referred to as "The Fam" on their recordings and tours. The musicians perform on a variety of instruments including guitars, keyboards, saxophones, brass, percussion and strings. Many of the current and former band members were once students at the University of North Texas.[1]

The band released their debut album "Live at Uncommon Ground" in 2005 and began touring extensively after their second album "The Only Constant" in 2006. Snarky Puppy's first four albums were released under Sitmom Records. Their fifth album, "Tell Your Friends" was released in 2010 under Ropeadope.[2][3]

Snarky Puppy's leader, Michael League, was interviewed and written about in the 2010 book release "The New Face of Jazz: An intimate look at today's living legends and the artists of tomorrow" by Cicily Janus.[4][5] The author cites League's self-termed music as "jafunkadansion" for its genre-bending qualities of instrumental and dance music. Cicily Janus also comments the "group Snarky Puppy is one of the most inventive in sound and funk since Maynard Ferguson's fusion years."

Thanks for sharing that, David!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Nice stuff! My old band was going to do a couple of shows with them, but their NW tour at the time didn't work out. Seemed like the touring version of the band was smaller. Great players.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Just when I thought I'd counted all the musicians, the violinist appears . . .

The sound reminds me of some of Lenny White's groups.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I think there`s actually 4 KBs. The guy on the Korg MS,The Hammond Player, The Piano player behind him but also if you look behind the Moog player I belive there`s a guy playing a grand piano in an isolated room. He doesn`t play in th begining but at about 6 mins. he`s playing for sure.

Defenately one hell of a Big Recording Studio. Even the extra people in the room have a set of cans on. That doesn`t begin to count the seperate monitor mixes they all have.

Motif ES7

Korg Triton Pro76

Roland Fantom X8

CP -33

That doesn`t begin to count the seperate monitor mixes they all have.

Looks like they are using a personal headphone mix system. So, everyone has control over their own mix, to a dregee. However, even in the biggest studios, there are still a limited number of sends you can use for cue mixes.

• 10 months later...

I've become a pretty big fan of these guys since this thread was posted. Awesome band.

Anyways, they have a new album out and there's some great new tunes/videos on youtube:

This tune features a killer hammond solo:

[video:youtube]

Some moog-y goodness in this one

And this one is a blast!

It is great to see and hear a young, talented collective. Corey Henry is playing B3 with the band nowadays. He's a bad mofo. :thu::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

That doesn`t begin to count the seperate monitor mixes they all have.

Looks like they are using a personal headphone mix system. So, everyone has control over their own mix, to a dregee. However, even in the biggest studios, there are still a limited number of sends you can use for cue mixes.

They're using the Mytek Private Q system:

http://www.studioconsultants.com/manufacturerhtmfiles/Mytek/pq-front-rgb-72dpi.jpg

12 channels (8 mono + 2 stereo) to mix as you'd like for your own headphone mix.

Personal headphone systems are so expensive. That Private Q system is around $6k with five mixers. Yikes! The Aviom is not much cheaper.

I had a second hand Rolls system but it's only 1 stereo and 4 mono channels. But hey, for a trio it works pretty well.

• 1 year later...
Personal headphone systems are so expensive. That Private Q system is around $6k with five mixers. Yikes! The Aviom is not much cheaper.

I was going to look into this system sometime:

P16

Bummed that the mixers are not bus powered...

Back on topic: Great Band!!! Nice find!

There's some actual live stuff (vs their 'live' recordings) that got a radio play recently. Also 2-3 members did some stuff with others to come up with some work to perform within a day at the Manchester Jazz Festival. Don't know if that's been recorded, but AFAIK it was re-performed recently with the same line-up.