Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

post your music for honest feedback

Phil W

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The selection of tunes has been uploaded to soundcloud under the banner Dusty Dollar - The Demo Tapes. Not the most imaginative name, I guess.

Gave a CD of the demo to my girlfriend a while ago, and yesterday she told me: "I really like the mix, everything sounds real good and all ... But you guys really chose all the songs I don't like in your repertoire." :grin:

She asked why we did not record a song like "Sweet Home Chicago" which is apparently a crowd pleaser. Downside is, the entire band dislikes that song with a passion ...

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

The singer and the blues guitarist were late to practice yesterday so the drummer, the jazz guitarist and myself decided to work out the instrumental parts to Chris Duarte's "See Me Ridin'" in the meantime.

See Me Ridin' (instrumental)

There's some tricky parts there and I totally missed the ending, but this was an interesting exercise: playing with one instrument missing and no vocals to guide us. I think we did fairly well. Will post a full band version as soon as we get it close enough to the real thing :)

The singer and the blues guitarist were late to practice yesterday so the drummer, the jazz guitarist and myself decided to work out the instrumental parts to Chris Duarte's "See Me Ridin'" in the meantime. This take includes a few false starts :)

See Me Ridin' (instrumental)

There's some tricky parts there and I totally missed the ending, but this was an interesting exercise: playing with one instrument missing and no vocals to guide us. I think we did fairly well. Will post a full band version as soon as we get it close enough to the real thing :)

Really liked that but seriously, edit out the false starts, that takes like 2 minutes. :D Love your guitardist's tone!

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Really liked that but seriously, edit out the false starts, that takes like 2 minutes. :D Love your guitardist's tone!

Thanks, lug! I have edited it down so it starts proper :) Couldn't finish the half-assed ending, though :grin: Perhaps a fade-out would have been appropriate ;)

• 3 weeks later...
The first 54 seconds is kinda rough but it gets a much much better after that. :D

Some guys get bothered by new threads all the time. :idk

Not sure if this is pointed at me, Ken, but we as a forum did bully one person out of here because of this kind of posts ... Personally I wouldn't care, but the rules were amended so we should follow 'em.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a new version of my browser so all videos work now.

Good job, ETi7Bass.

You know what I'd like to hear? When someone strips the original bassline off a recording, rather than duplicating the original part, they come up with a completely new part that still fits the recording, and maybe even improves it.

Don't know if this will work, but someone posted a video of us playing "Sweet Home Chicago" on Facebook (it's the second vid if you scroll down):

http://www.facebook.com/events/371714539545841/407403635976931/?notif_t=plan_mall_activity

Around the 3.30 minute mark I get my 12 bars of fame. Think I spend more effort bobbing my head than I do playing the solo :grin:

Good job! It's good to hear you play in a good band!

A few changes in dynamic level would help the whole band...dropping in volume when a solo starts and than building in volume is always a good idea. Also playing a little softer when the singer is singing and a little louder when he isn't is also a good idea.

I see you have the Marcus Miller/Will Lee look going on with the upper pickup cover on. ;)

I see you have the Marcus Miller/Will Lee look going on with the upper pickup cover on. ;)

Well it is a Marcus Miller signature :) Someone at the gig asked me what it was for, and I replied: Thumb placement. I seriously have no clue what other function it has?

Well, I did go back and read all 24 (based on my settings) pages in this topic, and I listened to at least one recording by everyone. Maybe when I have more time I can comment on each and every recording individually? I liked everything I heard!

I don't know if I posted this one here before or not; my apologies if I did. (Can you name that tune before the vocals start? ;) )

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10325199

Usually when I record I'm in a hurry just to get an idea down. I picked up this habit when I used to keep a cassette recorder and an acoustic guitar next to the bed. So a lot of my stuff isn't as polished as the stuff you guys are posting. This is the "honest feedback" thread, but I do know there are plenty of flaws here. The arrangement itself goes over pretty well live so I'm happy with that.

Whatever. I just don't want lug calling me names anymore. ;)

Eric, nice groove to start the song off! I did not expect it to go there but this is a nice interpretation - love the bass line :thu: The spacey / electro effects sit in well and do not distract. Wish I could sing like you :(

As for flaws, I will let someone else tackle that. Let's just say if you released an album of originals / interpretations I would buy a copy.

Whatever. I just don't want lug calling me names anymore. ;)

^^^^^^ Type C personality

:D

(Nice job, BTW!)