Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Name my band!

You probably know I play regularly with a jazz/fusion/soul/funk outfit. They're currently called 'The Lyveden Project' and while I love the name I'm also aware of the value of having a band name which people can recognise by hearing aloud and then google for.

They might decide to keep the name or change it.

Any cool name ideas appreciated. We do standards jazz style and also in funkified manner as well as some popular soul and funk tunes.

Repertoire includes:

The Red One - Pat Metheney

My Funny Valentine

My Favourite Things

This Masquerade

Desafinado

Chan Chan - Compay Segundo

Stratus

Red Baron

Spain

500 Miles High

Song For My Father

Summertime

You Don't Know what love is

Autumn Leaves

One Note Samba

Ipanema

Affirmation

Jeep on 35 - John Scofield

Valerie

Footprints

Cissy Strut

Chameleon

Canteloupe Island

Afro Blue

Blue Bossa

Superstition

Ain't No Sunshine

Crazy (Gnarls Barkeley)

Take Your Momma Out

etc

to give you a flavour - I'm keen to add more standards.

Any ideas on a name (hope the list helps give the context and also bear in mind the video I posted before)?

Thanks

Jazz For Dummies :grin: I'm actually not kidding, in a way it makes sense since you're playing lots of standards and all. Your audience might feel insulted and you could risk some form of copyright infringement (although I doubt it, as long as you don't start designing black'n'yellow logo's) but you gotta admit it's a name that'll stick :)

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Jazzimal..........

Like an animal of Jazz. (that sounds really stupid)

Junk (a mix between Jazz and Funk.... :D couldn't resist)

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

The Hopeful Monsters

Jazzzuuuhhpp!(from whazzzzzuuuhhpppp!)

Al Jazz-eira

Fierce Creatures

The Bell Tollers

The Berlin Wall Preservation Society

Hott, Muggie & Swettie

Buggy Whippers

The Jazz Truckers

Dumm, Stewped & Dumm.(nothing personal, just riffing)

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Long-time advice from the GP forum is that the name doesn't matter, so don't obsess over it. OTOH I was once told by venue that we were selected for a show because of our name. Or rather that other bands were passed over because their names didn't fit the venue. (Hypothetically imagine the finest restaurant in town hosting Projectile Vomit with opening act Food Poisoning! :D )

Anything But Standard -- a play on the way you perform standards

Raindrops On Roses -- from "My Favorite Things" (wouldn't be the first time a band swiped a lyric for their name ;) )

Funkingham Palace -- a stretch, but could spur better ideas

[Paint The] Town Red -- another stretch, but trying to find something that conveys the mood or setting your music sets

Unforgetable [Fusion] -- and be sure to include the Nat King Cole standard!

The Lived In Project, The Live Eden Project, The La Vida [Jazz|Fusion|Funk] Project -- all plays on the current name

Here's an idea for you...

Take the name of a somewhat ambiguious city or town, nothing like Austin, TX or Las vegas, but something more like Baltimore or Seattle. Then, add some alliteration into the mix, like Bringing Baltimore or Burning Baltimore, or for Seattle, Sunshine Seattle (or vice versa) or Sundays in Seattle, or something slick like that. That's my advice for a cool name. Manhattan Madness just came to mind too. I don't know, just start putting together some combos and find some meaning or relevance to the band to back up your reasoning.