Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Playing gig in 2 dayz i need acurate tab for Van Halen - I'll Wait

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

-the numbers (1-7) to the left of the tab, indicates in what octave

(starting at the lowest C) to play the notes in that row. When numbers appear elsewhere in a row, it is to indicate a new octave.

-ordinary letters (cdefgah) symbolices the corresponding notes

-capital letters (C,D,F,G and A) are used instead of c#,d#, f#, g# and a#.

-the symbol ">" is used to cut notes

-the symbol "|" is used to separate each measure (section of beats)

-the symbol "-" indicates nothing

-the bottom row keeps track of the beats, and tells if the notes above are whole, half, quarter or etc. In the example above, a "-" in section 1 lasts half as long as a "-" in section 2. This "beat-line" is often hard to write, or even meaningless. Therefore it is optional.

-under the tab it is preferable that the text of the song is written. That way the users of the tab will have all they need in one piece.

-often songs contain parts where a accurate tab is meaningless (or impossible). In these cases it is enough to write chords (and text), maybe with an explanation on how to play them. Chords are for instance: "A", "C", "Am", "Em7".

-I use the symbol "*" if I want to comment something outside the tab

-To make the tab easier to read, try to write the higher notes "above" the deeper ones

This is supposed to be easier than learning how to read music???

"For instance" is not proof.

• 1 year later...
Yes! This and the West VA Leslie thread are my favorites, ever!
Link, please, eric?

Here you go. Enjoy it!

What cracks me up most is that your Avatar endures to this day!!!!

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• 6 months later...

This thread needed a good bump - in the interest on musicianship - or wharever...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_tablature

Looks simple enough to me

"An example of modern piano tab notation - the scale of "f" played on 2 octaves:

3|--------c-d-e-f-|

2|f-g-a-A---------|

2|--------c-d-e-f-|

1|f-g-a-A---------|

The numbers on the left (3, 2, 2 and 1 in the above example) indicate the octave. All octaves start on the "c" key. Octave 4 is in the middle of the keyboard (starting on c4, or "middle C").

Lowercase letters (a,b,c,d,e,f,g) indicate the note names as natural (white keys).

Uppercase letters (A,C,D,F,G) indicate the note names as sharp (black keys), ie: A#,C#,D#,F#,G# (There is no "B" (B#), nor "E" (E#), since there are no sharps (black keys) between b and c, nor between e and f).

The "|" symbols separate measures / sections of notes.

The "-" symbols are used for spacing."

Note the usual A# in the F-scale

:facepalm:

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Damn I got a gig in two days could someone using the above notation write down jump......

Missed this thread completetly, really fun.

It's quite interesting though with all sorts of notation leading up to todays version ...... and alternatives

Notation

Sorry for the serious intermisson......I wonder how the gig went???????

/Fred

• 8 months later...

Okay, I wanted to bump this thread, even though we're a bit early for the 'annual keyboard tab thread bump'... unfortunately, the brilliant graphics that Zeronyne created are no longer available... if you're still around, Z, drop me a line and I'd love to put'em in a more permanent image host for posterity's sake (if that's cool with you, of course!).

Either way, still good for a laugh for us old-timers, even without the brilliant graphics. :thu:

One thread I never mind being necrobumped.

I was thinking about necrobumping it myself and asking (jokingly of course) for keyboard tab for "Epic" by FNM (a piece I am actually learning right now, only stick point is the oddball harmonies he used on the guitar solo) - but since Sven took care of that problem for me, I'll just have to go start another thread for help with that issue... :D

Okay, I wanted to bump this thread, even though we're a bit early for the 'annual keyboard tab thread bump'... unfortunately, the brilliant graphics that Zeronyne created are no longer available... if you're still around, Z, drop me a line and I'd love to put'em in a more permanent image host for posterity's sake (if that's cool with you, of course!).

Either way, still good for a laugh for us old-timers, even without the brilliant graphics. :thu:

09 is one of the moderators in the Bass Forum, so he is certainly still around. :thu:

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites