Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Phoenix, AZ

Funk Jazz

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I grew up there, couldn't get out fast enough.

Phoenix has, if anything, worsened since I left, according to family still there.

Moved North (Sedona, Flagstaff), much preferred it there.

Played many, many gigs in AZ.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Phoenix is great, the people are respectful and nice. The city is healthy in jobs and reasonable in taxes. Best advice for anybody there is make the most of it, the mild weather and natural beauty are underapreciated by most. Get outta the house and enjoy it! There isn't nightlife on the scale of some places, but there is plenty of opportunity for whatever you want to pursue. I can't wait to move back, first thing I'll do is get my motorcycle out of storage and hit the highway.

:cool:

Live long and prosper unless it is a good day to die.

I lived in Tucson for 7 years, and loved it. 2 divorces made it a bit cumbersome and far from family. Phoenix is bigger, smoggier, hotter, lower in elevation, and more humid. It is also much more of a metropolitan city than Tucson, which seemed the world's largest small town. Arizona is a paradise for outdoorsy people, seniors, athsmatics, golfers, equestrians, bikers, boaters(yes, boaters), and campers.

Due to its larger population, Phoenix is sure to have a more vibrant music scene than smaller communities. If ya love warm weather, and don't need the ocean nearby, it's hard to beat.

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Originally posted by wraub:

recommend any local (PHX) hotspots for live music?

i'm not moving there, just attending a a short two week school...

Originally posted by basshappi:

I live in Tucson. :wave:

hey, we're playing at Django Fest South West in Tucson this coming May !! we'll have to hook up...

I lived in Phoenix one winter, about four months worth. I've visted there several other times. I like it, but would prefer to live up more towards Flagstaff.

I haven't been there for a while now Funk, so I cannot tell you where to go for fun. What school are you attending?

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Check out beeloe's on mill avenue, they have a really good jazz night once a week, I forget which night. Your best bet will be Caffe Boa, 709 S Mill Ave, Tempe, AZ... This is a popular gathering place for east valley musicians looking to hang out and network, good local musicians perform several nights a week.In any event, mill avenue is your ticket, there are dozens and dozens of bars and several have free live music....
Live long and prosper unless it is a good day to die.

I don't like Phoenix. I do like Tempe.

Check there too, there are quite a few spots there.

You could get in touch with Mary Lemanski. Look at her chapter forum and you'll find her email info there. I'm sure she'll be able to give you some particulars too, and she always has some open mics & etc posted.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Originally posted by Funk Jazz:

Originally posted by wraub:

recommend any local (PHX) hotspots for live music?

i'm not moving there, just attending a a short two week school...

Well, to be honest, it's been quite a while. I am not sure if any of the places I played are still open.

Lots of stuff in and around Mill Ave. in Tempe- Balboa Cafe, Club Rio, The Devil House were a few of 'em.

Phx. itself was The Jar (and before that, when it was the Mason Jar), The Library,

Graham Central Station, and others.

I can't even remember the names of most of the places-

Must have been good gigs. :D

When you hit town for your school, pick up a free newspaper called The New Times, it came out on Wed. when I lived there.

Just about all the bars and clubs advertise inside.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Archived