Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Replacement single-coil Pups...?

miroslav

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's the problem - you're looking for a sound singles aren't really meant to deliver. They read a narrower section of the string than a 'bucker, and the best of them will give a thin glassy sound, which some people refer to as a "quack". Humbuckers are less accurate and more distorted by definition. Listen to both BB and Clapton on clean settings and you'll spot the difference. The more windings on the bobbin, the less accurate will be the tone, but it will also have higher output and "warmth". If I'm to infer that a Strat or Tele is your benchmark single coil reference, "warmth" and "chunkiness" on a clean setting should not be there. :thu: If you're looking for a thicker sound from a Strat-sized pickup, Seymour Duncan Hot Rails deliver the goods. :)
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

You could also try an SDS-1 from DiMarzio. I have one on mid and also on bridge.

The mid really delivers a warm tone, and loads of overtones when overdriven. Measures about 8.6K.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

I know the single coils will not be as warm/chunky as an HB...but I'm only looking to replace the current no-name ones that I have in a Strat-copy, becuse they are just too brittle/tinny sounding.

So...what's my choice (without getting into "custom shop" prices)...?

Oh...the bridge position has an HB.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Well, they are a bit pricey but the Seymour Duncan SSL52-1s sound like what you're looking for. A good friend of mine has a set of these in his Strat which is also an SHS. They sound nice and creamy in his guitar. And his Strat has an ash body with a maple fretboard. He replaced the original noiseless pickups with these. He says they sound much better although they do hum a little.

Born on the Bayou

I've replaced the middle and neck on my Mexican Strat with Seymour Duncans - a Vintage and Alnico II Pro, respectively. I think they both sound excellent, but if you're looking for something a tad warmer the Alnico II Pro is more what you want.

You might also consider a single-coil size humbucker, like the Cool or Vintage Rails, or perhaps Seymour Duncan's PAF voiced Little 59.

Check out these with the Q filter. The forum linked to this site (http://pub123.ezboard.com/fguitarsbyfenderfrm8) has more info. I think they have different windings for each pickup depending on the sound you are looking for.

http://www.billlawrence.com/

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Archived