Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So whatd ya guys get?

EmptinesOf Youth

Well, I picked up my Christmas present today...the nylon-string Classical. I auditioned a bunch of them...several Jose' Ramirez models, a Manuel Contreras, an Esteve....all these $2,000.00 to $4,000.00 guitars...and NONE of them were really doing it for me. I had permission to buy what I wanted (within reason, of course....an $8,000.00 guitar would have been a little much). So...what did I settle on? What was it that tripped my trigger? (how long has it been since you heard THAT expression?)

It was a Takamine cutaway with electronics, model EC132C Rosewood/Spruce. Guitar and Humicase for less than $1,000.00. In my opinion, it blows the Ramirez S1, R2 and 2E away. It plays better, it has a more balanced sound, better projection, better separation. The EQ/Pickup system is killer. I was shocked when I played it. It just sings. I could have bought anything they had in the store. I almost didn't even play the Takamine (I guess I was a Ramirez snob)..the sales guy had gone to get another guitar for me to look at and I just picked it up out of curiosity and played it and was astounded. The look on his face was classic...he's standing there with a Jose' Ramirez 2E in his hand and I said "I want this Takamine."

I guess the name isn't everything, huh? I'm glad I didn't just dismiss the Takamine out-of-hand.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats on your new guitar! :thu:

I go to the Gibson Showcase from time to time to catch up with a friend who manages the performance side and plink around on Gibson, Santa Cruz and other guitars they stock on the retail side

So far I've found one Santa Cruz that knocked my socks off and no Gibbie acoustics that can do that. Meanwhile, I'm very happy (though it isn't the best acoustic I've played, by far) with my Blueridge. It cost less than $500 with the case, installation of the L.R. Baggs preamp and ribbon p'up and setup by one of the most prominent luthiers in Nashville. (Who convinced me to buy a Blueridge, sight unseen.) It's a wonderful, balanced instrument. The only guitar I'd rather own right now is a deep body Taylor owned by an acquaintance of mine.

Inexpensive can still be good. :thu:

Have a great time with your new classical! I have to get mine repaired.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Neil, what is the best way to record using the new USB mic? are they the same front to back? would it be good to be close into the speaker grille on the amp or away from it some? Would you put it at the level of the center of the speaker or at the edge of the speaker like we do live with the SM59's?

Congrats on your new guitar, Sasquatch! I may have to get one!

Not only can you play on it at home for your own pleasure, you could play it a band! Classical guitar parts sound nice on some things.

It'd be a change of pace from the electric guitar, for sure!

Geezer, that's a beautiful Tele; I'm jealous.

I got nothing music related. Among other things, the missus gave me DVD with the third season of the BBC show "Coupling" and a new wedding band. I lost the old ring last year, shortly after our 13th anniversary. While it sucked to lose the ring, I had to appreciate the irony.

Archived