Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

EMG SA's

rockitsauce

Woohoo, got a mexi-strat for Christmas and its a dream! All except for the pickups that is. I dont like them and have started shopping around for another set. I listened to some soundbytes online and I liked the active EMG SA drop-in set. Anyone else have them or tried them? I may even be able to wait a bit and save some more to go with the Gilmour set if anyone thinks it would be that much better (with the xpander and stuff).

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The SA's are the same active EMG pickups used in the Gilmour set. They feature low-strength alnico magnets and are intended for a "vintage Strat" tone. They sound somewhat like a vintage Strat single-coil pickup put through a very clean compressor/booster, a bit more "hi-fi" and dry sounding with a seemingly reduced attack and less peakiness in different frequencies- very smooth and clear with massive sustain and follow-through.

The SPC and EXG controls are very, very worth it if you like the EMG SA's at all. (I've had a "super-Strat" stylee axe since the mid '80s that has the same compliment as the DG set, except that mine uses an 85 humbucker-style active EMG model at the bridge-position for an SA-SA-85 set. Killer, versatile, stands up defiantly to any amount of effects and proccessing, sustains and gets musical feedback as if by magic.)

Just always unplug your guitar's jack when you're done playing, the active EMG's use a stereo output-jack that is wired to work as an auto-switch connecting and disconnecting the battery when plugged and unplugged. You'll get maximum battery life that way (use a good alkaline like a Duracell, too).

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Went with the DG set. Was really easy to install and worked perfectly even got a few bucks discount. I went to test it out and found a superb bluesy vintage style tone that I really liked and a really nice jazzy rhythmic tone as well. I bet you could fart around with these and get just about as many different sounds as you could want. I didnt wanna have to put it down but everyone went to bed so I have to shut down. I still havent found that tone that DG gets in that solo on comfortably numb but then again maybe its all in the fingers. :)

Glad you like 'em! :cool:

As for copping "Comfortably Numb" solo-sounds:

On the one hand, the original "Comfortably Numb" from The Wall was probably recorded with a stock, vintage Fender Strat. I don't think he used any EMG electronics at all when I caught him on the About Face "solo-album" tour a good 25 years or so ago...

On the other hand, he uses those EMG'd Strats for just about everything when playing live gigs anymore, and has for quite some time now.

(Imagining the original sound, from memory, may be waaay off-base) Try experimenting with a little short echo (light on the repeats, maybe even only one) and maybe some reverb, as well as pickup-selections and control-settings and varying gain. (Maybe leave the EXG and SPC all the way down at first, add a little EXG to taste. Neck-Middle or Middle-Bridge.) Imagine the guitar's notes snarling or singing as you alter your pick's angle and attack and all... try some upstrokes where you might usually use downstrokes, and vice-verse...

It sounds doubled a little, but not modulated (again, maybe it's the delay/echo). And on the brink of feedback, too.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived