Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Trying to find a band

DC Ross

So, I've been looking to join a band for the last year or so (I play guitar and bass), and it's proving to be a pain in the arse trying to find anything or anyone compatible. Maybe it's because I use phrases like "pain in the arse." :)

I haven't been in a band since the mid 90s, and that one I just kind of fell into.

Maybe my standards are too high? I don't really like the typical bar band that only plays classic rock covers (some are fine, but personally, I just can't handle 45 minutes of Lynyrd Skynyrd and Allman Bros.) All the ads that I see on craigslist are either for young punk bands, the bar bands, or these new metal bands.

I'd really like to get into a metal band, but I've been really frustrated with the new metal trends -- extreme lack of dynamics, lame death metal vox, and no groove at all.

How did you guys & gals find your band?

Oh, and sorry for the pseudo-rant :)

It's not simple to be simple.

-H. Matisse

Ross Precision Guitars

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok I understand. But first, where is the audience? are there typically gigs for Metal bands? in your market? If you dont want to do classic rock material in a bar situation where else can you play? and maybe even more important how often can you play to make all the rehearsal time worth the effort? I have never been out of a band actually so I'm not sure but sometimes starting your own band might be the way to go. Sometimes reality shapes our direction and the kinds of material we play.

DC,here is an idea for you that I always tried to do, and with some success. Be the business guy, be the organizer of material and gigs, do the interface between the owners or organizers of events, TAKE CHARGE and make your own way and take your guys along with you. Auditon people and set a CLEAR direction in material,possiable jobs, set limits and rehearsal times, get a place to rehearse that you control,this stuff is NOT FUN..but playing out and being successful is Tons of fun!! it is 30%music and 70% business. Most musicians WANT somebody to do these things for them....I do and I make more money than the rest of the group because of the things I do for us all! this was not my idea it was theirs. WE here have had this conversation before DC and I maintain there can only be ONE ultimate boss of a organization.

Originally posted by KPB:

Go to some open jam nights. Participate and get some phone numbers.

'Zackly! Everyone I've ever formed bands with I met at a jam or answered an ad. If you impress people, they'll be all over you. http://www.websmileys.com/sm/music/musik01.gifhttp://www.websmileys.com/sm/fingers/fing36.gif
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Thanks for the advice, guys! I'll have to see if there are any open jams around here.

ellwood: you're absolutely right. We make our own luck/fate/whatever. I'm on the eastside of Seattle, so there's always a call for all types of music around here. I didn't mean to come off sounding like I wouldn't do the bar scene, I was more implying that the stereotypical bar band isn't my thing. I really like a lot of classic rock, but like I said, I'd rather not do an entire set of standards that countless other bands are doing.

I'll write up an ad for craigslist & see where that takes me. I guess I just need a kick in the pants ;)

I'll keep you all posted!

It's not simple to be simple.

-H. Matisse

Ross Precision Guitars

Originally posted by DC Ross:

Well, when I found my band, they were pissed off that I'd taken the van home without 'em...but I came back, and that's when I found them.

Sorry...

Seriously, though...you and I are in the same frame of mind...

Two kinds of bands...

1) Gimme three sweet home old time wonderful tonight freebirds or...

2) Influences...Razorcrotch, Bonerfarm, Festering Wound...etc. 16 years old, been playing for two months.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Tedster Claus:

Originally posted by DC Ross:

Well, when I found my band, they were pissed off that I'd taken the van home without 'em...but I came back, and that's when I found them.

Sorry...

Seriously, though...you and I are in the same frame of mind...

Two kinds of bands...

1) Gimme three sweet home old time wonderful tonight freebirds or...

2) Influences...Razorcrotch, Bonerfarm, Festering Wound...etc. 16 years old, been playing for two months.

:D:thu:

Heh, I'm trying to form an "originals" band from scratch. I have a lyricist / singer on board, and together we have about 8 songs. Craigslist ads are like you said- either way too narrow or way too broad in their parameters.

THEN you get the replies. In my experience, people want to be emailed MP3's even before they audition / meet you in person. I've been turned down more times than not for NOT HAVING any recorded material. I'm finding this to be an odd and frustrating situation on top of the others mentioned.

I feel like screaming, "Hey, we're new. Our sound will be heavily influenced by you, the musician we hope to add. We don't have recorded material of what we sound like as a band, because we aren't a band yet. We need you to round out our sound."

Sheesh.

Last band I was in sort of... happened. We used to have this friend from Chicago and with my wife, we used to have a few beers on the weekend and sing along with the stereo.

I talked her into becoming our singer, taught my wife some very elementary drums and started just... playing. It was a lot of fun, it really was.

I'd love to play with you DC, and some of the other guys too, but it's a hell of a long drive from Loughborough, Leicestershire UK.

:wave:

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

I'm looking to join/form a creative Christian band, but it hasn't happened so far. But I just made a sign I plan to pin up on local music store bulletin boards; and there are a couple of coffeehouses in the area.

But I meet good musicians all the time, and we exchange phone numbers. This New Year I'm going to definitely follow up on some of those encounters! Even if it doesn't turn into a band, there is another person I can go play with and trade licks and maybe tunes.

And thanks for the tip on the open jam nights.. just gotta call around and find out where they are!

Originally posted by Eric Iverson:

I'm looking to join/form a creative Christian band, but it hasn't happened so far. But I just made a sign I plan to pin up on local music store bulletin boards; and there are a couple of coffeehouses in the area.

But I meet good musicians all the time, and we exchange phone numbers. This New Year I'm going to definitely follow up on some of those encounters! Even if it doesn't turn into a band, there is another person I can go play with and trade licks and maybe tunes.

And thanks for the tip on the open jam nights.. just gotta call around and find out where they are!

Or maybe there is a organization within your church that acts as a clearing house for people in the area of the same faith that also handles bands or musicians that want to play. This might cover a larger area than you local church does..just a suggestion. Good luck sounds like the rigtht plan to me!!

Archived