Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

king kong

Gifthorse

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

Originally posted by FormerOceanwaySlave:

I thought it was truly crap as did my girlfriend who directs films.

Well, thank you for that. Next time I'm about to foolishly waste my money on a film by a director whose work I love and respect, I'll PM you so you and your girlfriend (who directs films) can set me right.

Thank you very much for pulling me out of my benighted state, I shall remember you in my will.

:D +1

While Vince's reply is a tad on the mean side, Alan, the comments it rebukes seem pretty elitest and rude. While I'm not a fierce defender of this movie, it didn't deserve your haughty comments, IMO

I think K's comment is spot on. This may be the cinematic version of McDonalds, but occasionally that's just what I want to eat. ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

I think K's comment is spot on. This may be the cinematic version of McDonalds, but occasionally that's just what I want to eat. ;)

Yeah, I agree with that too.

One time I was with a woman who had a season ticket to an Art House Cinema and we sat through a whole BUNCH of stuff until one night, I rebelled and took her and her kid to see Stargate, where there were real baddies and real goodies and a dandy lot of explosions and... **sigh**, it was just marvellous. :D

Anyway, Peter Jackson's done more than his fair share of quirky niche stuff, he's done his whole epater les bourgeois period, now he's making rather good blockbusters. I think KK's more than some cynical cash in as well: faced with going overbudget, Peter Jackson threw in 20 million dollars of his own money in order to make the film he wanted to make. There is still an auteur element to the film.

• 3 months later...

Well, I just saw the DVD today and it really blew me away. I was really moved.

I think the "love story" angle is handled better than in the original and, even though the writer get the girl in the end, you wonder whether he really got her or whether she just needed a shoulder to cry on.

I dind't think the first bit was too long at all. I've always had this fantasy of sailing off on a tramp steamer to places like Surabaya and so on (has anyone read a book called "War With The Newts"?) so spending a while looking at life on board the steamer was just nuts to me. :thu:

Originally posted by A String:

I really liked the fact that Kong was just a large gorilla. Not a giant monster like in the old movies.

Yeah, whenever I see the original, I get the feeling one is meant to cheer for the planes that shoot Kong down. I thought PJ made him much less of a monster.

I could do without some of the gorier scenes. The entire scene in the river bed could have been left out in my opinion and this would have been a much better movie. I felt like he turned it into a horror movie. It's not supposed to be horror movie (if you can't tell, I despise the genre).

Some parts of the movie were just too drawn out. Three hours and 15 minutes is the past my limit for watching gore.

And, yeah, what did happen to the native people? Did the ship crew kill them all (that wouldn't bother me much considering their behavior).

I also thought the T-Rex fight scene was just too long.

This is one DVD we are not going to buy.

Born on the Bayou

Originally posted by LPCustom:

The entire scene in the river bed could have been left out in my opinion and this would have been a much better movie.

Oh, that bit creeped us RIGHT out. Half way through I ran my hand up my wife's leg pretending to be a spider and was rewarded with some pretty neat screams. She got rather shirty afterwards though. :D:thu:

And, yeah, what did happen to the native people? Did the ship crew kill them all (that wouldn't bother me much considering their behavior).

I suppose they realized they were competely outclassed by the tommyguns and kept a low profile henceforth?

The entire scene in the river bed could have been left out in my opinion and this would have been a much better movie.

Oh, that bit creeped us RIGHT out. Half way through I ran my hand up my wife's leg pretending to be a spider and was rewarded with some pretty neat screams. She got rather shirty afterwards though. :D:thu:
I was really impressed with the way that scene was done. There was no music. Just the bugs. I actually moved to the edge of my seat during that scene. It was a powerful scene in that it had the ability to evoke such emotion. Brilliant directing.

I finally caught up to King Kong myself this week...and while I thought Peter Jackson did a fine job - and the effects are dynamite - it left me curiously cold. It's a very good remake, but in the end, it is still just a remake of a classic movie. Same story, and except that Jackson added an hour to it, the same cycle of events. I appreciated what Jackson brought to it, but I still prefer the original.

Sometimes I wish Hollywood would remake movies that had great ideas behind them (book adaptations included) but were never executed properly. Has anybody walked out of a movie thinking "they had a great concept and they just blew it"? Why not remake those?

John

I was really impressed with the way that scene was done. There was no music. Just the bugs. I actually moved to the edge of my seat during that scene. It was a powerful scene in that it had the ability to evoke such emotion. Brilliant directing.

I didn't even notice that there was no music, would you believe? I was too engrossed. The bit where the cook gets eaten up head first by the leeches was pretty impressive.

I don't fancy somebody's chances of clearing the bugs off with a machine gun and not doing severe damage to the other person though.

I didn't even notice that there was no music, would you believe? I was too engrossed. The bit where the cook gets eaten up head first by the leeches was pretty impressive.

I don't fancy somebody's chances of clearing the bugs off with a machine gun and not doing severe damage to the other person though.

Yeah, it was creepy. Just went dead silent. You actually feel helpless during that scene. Along with a strong feeling of wanting to get out. This is hard to do and I think he deserves a pat on the back for directing, especially in that scene.

Originally posted by guitarisawayoflife21:

King Kong was a great movie. The special effects were the best I have seen. The story line was great also. How cool was it seeing Kong on top of the empire state building swatting at planes.

:thu::thu:

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Archived