Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Info Required: Rare Soviet Amp

Rosco

PETERSBURG P-100....Rare Sovtek beast??

Hey folks!

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this for me. I've had this amp for over four years now, and now I'm considering selling it, I thought I ought to find out exactly what it is I have here! According to its markings, its a Petersburg P100. It looks to me like a Sovtek, its built like a tank, and having studied countless photos of MIG heads (particularly the MIG100), I'm convinced that this is a Sovtek amp. It has "Made in Russia, St Petersburg" printed on the back face of the chassis, along with "Model P9100". There is a small printed logo on the front face of the chassis by the stand-by/power switches that I can't decipher, some, if not all of it appears to be in another language, presumably Russian. Nowhere, however, does it actually wear the Sovtek logo.

I got a friend of mine, an old fellow obsessed with any kind of valve amplification to take a look inside it for clues; we found Sovtek 6L6 tubes, and components dated 1991 - The Year Sovtek introduced the MIG! I'm no electronics expert, but I can tell you that its half hand wired (including the EQ) and half transistor. My friend tells me there are components in there that were used in British military equipment in the 1960's.... the plot thickens!

I bought this from a guitar shop in Leeds, and the guy there (small, angry fellow with the most bizarre sales technique I've encountered) informed me that this was indeed a MIG100 from a physical and technical standpoint, and explained it's "Petersburg" label as what was given to the amps that were actually sold domestically in Russia itself. He went on to explain that all the early MIG's from this period as we know them left the factory unbadged, and were only identified with a MIG50/60/100 stencil when they reached their country of destination. I must emphasise that this is only what I've been told, and I have no way of quantifying this information. I'm passing it on in the hope that someone will either confirm or correct this.

The amp is certainly very rare... I've never seen or even heard of another Petersburg, not even on the internet. No one I've spoken to has seen one like it. I'm reseaching all the time, trying to unearth any more scraps of info, but there is so little info available, even on the net, and no guitar shops seem to have a clue... thats why I'm appealing here!

Tonally, it also fits the bill for a Sovtek; one channel of pure valve muscle! Maybe a little short on distortion for the true metal guitarist, but has clean and dirrrty overdrive tones to die for.

I have pictures of this beast, but am useless with this internet malarkey, so if you wish to see them, just drop me your email address and I'll zap them over... should be able to manage that much!

So..... Can you help? What the hell do I have here? Is it really that rare? And possibly most important of all.. what is this thing worth?

Looking forward to hearing from you... someone... anyone!

Rosco

You will rue the day.... well get on with it, then... start rueing!!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting! A Russian Marshall-clone roundup!

Despte some control layout similarities, the Spetel, the Petersburg and the Red Bear are all pretty different.

-The Spetel is hand-wired with flying leads and turret-boards and has a "doghouse" covering the chassis mounted filter capacitors (these caps are the same weirdo "sparkplug" types used in older Sovteks). Very labor-intensive construction normally found in boutique amps. The layout and lead dress are messy, however and the quality of the components looks shaky.

-The Petersburg uses PCB construction with flying leads a la Sovtek and internally mounted filter caps. The quality of the components looks slightly better than the Spetel. Layout is still messy. Note that this amp has a choke - a feature found on Tweed Fenders and very early Marshalls. Most amps built in the last 40 years use a resistor instead (there are some boutique amps that still use chokes such as the Komet 60).

-The Red Bear looks identical to the Spetel and has the doghouse covering the filter caps. My understanding is that these amps use PCB construction however.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Originally posted by miroslav:

I know it was nice, quick work on my part...

...but you didn't have to say it twice! :P

Ain't Google great!

I'm always surprised when people ask, "Anyone know about this or that?"...and they never bother to even try searching for the info themselves! :D

The annoying thing is, I HAVE been looking on Google, but because of what that guy at the shop told me about it being a Sovtek, I concentrated on searching for Sovtek-related sites and info.... DOH!!

I've e-mailed the guy at Tonehunters for some more info, waiting for reply.

You will rue the day.... well get on with it, then... start rueing!!

Archived