Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ellwood goes Rock-a-Billy!

Dr. Ellwood

The new blues project band went into the studio and put down some demo material. One of these tunes was Caldonia requested by the studio owner who also wanted to do the vocal! So here it is now on SoundClick file name is : (Cal) I used a Standard Telecaster on one track and a EMG fitted Strat on the other track amp was a Laney TFX2. Bass was a Fender precision bass, drums where Ludwig. This was a Pro Tools PC based board. Playing on the demo was:

Lee Phillips - Guitar

Jim Dominac - Bass

Bill Sweeting - Drums

Cliff Perry - Vocal

Hope ya like it guys: ..........LEE

Nod to Louis Jordan,lyrics

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hay thanks Lava,well I don't know if we will ever get this little blues project off the ground. We lost the keyboard player to a full time gig he had to take ($) but I do understand his needs. So we just decided to go in and put down a couple of things, I don't really want to go out without a keyboard player with this group and my regular guy with the other band can't do any wednesday nights so... we will see, but it is fun! hay maybe JV would take a gig playing keyboards?? :P:D

Thanks bud! the solo is in the mix petty good at least sounds like it here..but the MP3 conversion did take some fidelity away for sure. I think the guys did a great job on it bass and drums and vocal. We did that in two takes and I had two takes or well punch ins on the second lead part and tried to do some layers under the solo.

yea i checked them out. Very awesome stuff. TO be honest at time it sounded like the singer had trouble squeezing some words in. But not that big of deal, and he did sound good. So did the guitars, i can play the guitar pretty good, but i wish i could play more like you, not nessicarly rockibilly but more towards that area and similiar to some of your other stuff ive heard.....and that good.

cheers

ryan

Nice guitar work, Lee! :thu:Brian Setzer's got nothin' on you, eh? ;) (Can't say I've ever heard Louis Jordan.)

The tune is pretty hot, too. Play that one and I'm sure you get a lot of people on the dance floor. I know my wife would be draggin' my sorry butt out on this one. ;)

Pretty good demo. Multi-tracked, right? Did everyone use a scratch track, or did you just overdub the guitars? Or just the solo guitar? Just wondering 'cause it kinda has that disconnect between the solo guitar and the rest of the band. But we can't all record everything at once in the big room, now can we? Your demo still holds up, I'm just being overly anal.

HAY you guys thanks for the nice words! Lets see RicBassGuy had some questions about the actual recording. The drums and bass parts where recorded along with the first guitar track (the Tele) to a click track we had the cans on. Cliff added the vocal over the bass,guitar and click track and next he added the actual drum track. I went back with the Strat and added a second part in that sort of ran with the fisrst guitar track but tried to say under it as far as register goes. The EMG's have a darker tone and I added that last. Yes I do know what you mean Ric about the second guitar part sounding a bit isolated in the mix and I'm not sure why exactly? Maybe it needed to be brought closer to the center? anyway thanks again you guys it was a fun thing to do we did three demos in all.

Originally posted by RyanVollmer:

yea i checked them out. Very awesome stuff. TO be honest at time it sounded like the singer had trouble squeezing some words in. But not that big of deal, and he did sound good. So did the guitars, i can play the guitar pretty good, but i wish i could play more like you, not nessicarly rockibilly but more towards that area and similiar to some of your other stuff ive heard.....and that good.

cheers

ryan

Thanks Ryan! It's just another style that is fun to play, oh and the on the singers timing..yes, that really is the way the tune goes that sort of "crammed in" just in time word crunch is really part of it..but ya I do know what you mean...anyway glad you like it!

HAY BUDDY...thanks, ya me too Cliff wanted to do that tune to sing it and I haven't played that style in a long time but yes I like it too! lots of fun and the drummer and bass player REALLY like it ..looks like we are going to move in that direction along with trad blues and jump style. oh an GET BACK HOME :D:thu::cool:

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Not a chance! :D

They would never come down without letting us know. (Thank goodness! :eek: )

Sorry about your mom.

Oh that's good Neil!! and thanks yea it's been a rough road for mom and I'm the only child so it's all on me..but that's ok she is such a great mom all my life that now it's my turn to take care of her like she did for me.

That is difficult Lee, I hope everything falls in to place for you and your Mom.

My Dad fell in the snow the other day and was outside for 45 min with a spring jacket on. My Mom called 911 because she couldn't lift him. The paramedics said he may have frostbite on his hands. He was tested for Altzhiemers and he doesn't have it, yet he can't remember some simple things. It is frustrating for him.

Originally posted by ellwood:

Thanks bud! the solo is in the mix petty good at least sounds like it here..but the MP3 conversion did take some fidelity away for sure. I think the guys did a great job on it bass and drums and vocal. We did that in two takes and I had two takes or well punch ins on the second lead part and tried to do some layers under the solo.

If anything, the fidelity is too good. Rockabilly and jump blues is best when it sounds like it's coming out of a cheap speaker from an AM radio in a '58 Cadillac...

Tasty stuff, mon frer... :thu:

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Archived