Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Picking or hammering on and pulling off

Gifthorse

I know some guys pick every note, some guys don't. I think I am somewhere in the middle. Sometimes I pick every note.

I also think I tend to hammer and pulloff more when I am improvising in a band context. It makes it easier to do stuff on the fly and land on your feet. Any of you guys do this? I always let my left hand lead me when I solo because that is where the notes are coming from.

I think it is possible to make your hammer on style the same as your picking style, and visa versa. That way it is hard to tell what you are picking and what you aren't.

Anyways, even though I started this thread in kind of an awkward fashion, any input?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me, it's a matter of whether I want to play a fill legato flavored or staccato.

Also, it's a matter of whether I'm playing distorted or clean. If I play clean, I tend to pick more. With distortion, I love the legato effect so I'll do the HO/PO thing more.

Just my personal preference; not a hard and fast rule with me.

Originally posted by KPB:

To me, it's a matter of whether I want to play a fill legato flavored or staccato.

Just like KPB mentioned, it's really a matter of flavor for me. They sound different and can be used for contrast and different effect. It's all part of phrasing and how you want to express a particular passage.

For me it is more functional than it is 'what I want'. I can pick every note if I am doing takes of a solo in the studio but if I am improvising live I tend not to take any chances technically. I mean I can always play it with hammer ons and pull offs with no mistakes so I will at times. Sometimes if it is a lick that is easier to pick I will do so.

Ya I been thinking (believe it or NOT!!)..its I guess up to texture... I just did some here ... my hammer ons are allot less metalic than my picked notes of coarse and for some reason my up and down picking is more metalic than my up picking! what the heck!!! quit bring up these subjects I'm starting to have obsessions now!!! :eek::thu:

I use hams and pulls...but having been taught guitar at a young age, BEFORE anyone ever did hammer-ons and pulls...

...I did a lot of pick exercises...and now that's my bread-n-butter.

There's just so many ways to hold/use a pick to get all kinds of sounds out of a string!

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

hmmm, i use both. i do tend to run scale passages in a hammer on mode ( but not always). sometimes i pick everything. my picking is very aggressive so i don't sound the same when hammering.

i like the sound of a pick, the sqwawks and clicks. so that may be why i pick alot.

and sometimes i don't even suck

:D

Originally posted by miroslav:

I use hams and pulls...but having been taught guitar at a young age, BEFORE anyone ever did hammer-ons and pulls...

Man! I would've NEVER guessed you were THAT old! Classical players have been using HO/PO for hundreds of years. You seem much younger...... :D

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

I use a combination of picking and hammer-ons. It's something that one of my Berklee teachers, Jim Kelly, turned me on to. For example, if you take a three note per string scale pattern, pick the first two notes and hammer the third. It can get kinda complicated when you're not doing straight scale passages, but I like the way it sounds. Jim told me that Methany and Scofield pick this way...
www.myspace.com/christondre

Originally posted by Sasquatch51:

Originally posted by miroslav:

Man! I would've NEVER guessed you were THAT old! Classical players have been using HO/PO for hundreds of years. You seem much younger...... :D

:P

I was talking about modern "guitar rock" music/styles...where hams and pulls became the rage.

I took my first guitar lesson back in the late '60s...and I was actually quite young then. :)

Even though there was a lot of '60s rock already happening at the time...the teachers back then were not yet "hip" to the new music.

They were "old school" by their standards...so they would have you picking out "Camptown Races" (or some other nonsense)...for days on end!!! :D

But...it sure did help develop my pick skills! :thu:

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Originally posted by KPB:

I don't remember Mel Bay teaching me about HOs/POs. Jimmy Page had to teach me. :thu:

Mel Bay..! Why did he always look so constipated in his photographs? He made playing look like such hard work instead of being a pleasure. :)

Anyway yeah. I love the Jimmy Page acoustic stuff ("Bron Y Aur Stomp", "Black Mountain Side" and all that). Hammers everywhere. I'm not really into classic rock, but that's coolness personified.

You know alot of people would say that articulation comes from right hand picking technique but I think it comes from your left hand ability.

If you have a strong enough left hand and can hammer and pull off strong enough, it will articulate just as if it was picked, and it will even make a little clikity clakity noise.

On alot of my fast stuff (which isn't too much) it always sounds like I pick every note, sometimes I do, but sometimes I don't. I probably wouldn't remember anyhow. My point is that the times that I hammer and pull off you wouldn't be able to tell I wasn't picking.

I hardly pay attention to what I do anymore. But if I sit down and think about it, I am surprised at how my playing has changed over the years. I used to use all down strokes. Then I was able to alternate. But somethings will only work if you use all down strokes so its often a mixture. I used to do more pull offs than I do now, but I don't really know why. Also, when I really got into classical guitar, I started placing my left hand thumb more against the middle of the neck rather than letting it hang over the top of the neck. This tranferred to electric guitar and my playing improved a great deal from it.
Yum, Yum! Eat em up!

Archived