Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kravitz to play Jimmi in Movie:

Dr. Ellwood

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:Sh5ndqUtw6tI7M:www.moviestarsmovies.com/Images/MorganFreeman.jpg

Back in the day I always thought Morgan Freeman

would of done a great job playing Jimi. :thu:

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm guessing the movie will probably suck anyway...

You just know they'll try to work in a stupid "mystical" sub-plot or some such nonsense.

Hollywood needs to start writing actual scripts instead of re-making old films and making movies about dead musicians.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Originally posted by ellwood:

...but how do we KNOW Lenny can't act? He comes from a theatrical family, maybe he can act?

Kravitz looks like a body builder, and Hendrix looked like a toothpick. It just won't look right.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Does Jamie Foxx play guitar, too? ;)

Seriously, I enjoyed Ray and appreciated that Jamie is a real piano player. I've never seen Ray Charles perform other than a few of his tv appearances while I was growing up, so I wouldn't be an expert on whether or not Jamie got the look and feel down pat. I'm sure he did a better job than Stevie Wonder would have done, even though Stevie is a much better pianist. ;) (I don't think anyone would have bought Stevie trying to play Ray, except maybe an NFL zebra. :D )

But if they had cast a non-pianist as Ray, I would have hated the film. Nothing kills a movie for me faster than watching an actor fumble around like a baffoon, so obvious they know nothing about the instrument they're holding. (Yes, it was even hard watching Tia Carrera pretend to play bass in Wayne's World. Fortunately, the bass got very little camera time, and most of the time you just saw Tia with the bass out of frame.) The worst offense in recent years: tv's "Hit Me Baby One More Time" has some of the worst lip-syncing by musicians that have no excuse for not performing their own music convincingly!

One movie that I was able to overlook the non-musicians lip-syncing on was Drumline. For the important snare-playing shots, the actor is filmed from the waist up (so you can't see what he's actually doing with the drum), and shots of the hands and the drum head are done by a real percussionist.

Can Lenny pull off Jimi to the extent that those who have only seen Jimi a few times would think Lenny is a believable Jimi? Probably. Picker had a good point (and Lee the counterpoint) about whether or not Lenny's acting will be up to par. Certainly there will be more time spent in dialog than in song. Almost as unforgivable as bad lip-syncing is bad acting.

If a better guitar-playing actor than Lenny is available, he may be the better choice from an artistic standpoint. But then you still have to contend with the financial standpoint, as rw2003 points out: putting butts in seats. However, I think that if you get the artistic part right -- if you make another Lord of the Rings -- then the financial part will follow.

Personally, hearing Lenny is gonna do it intrigues me, but not so much that I'd go to opening night. And if the initial reviews are bad, I'll just wait a month when the DVD is on clearance for less than the price of a rental ... if even that. ;)

Originally posted by Picker:

Lenny Kravitz looks about as much like Jimi as I do, and I'm a 52 year-old-WASP.

Nah, sorry, he looks a lot more like Jimi than you do.

It sounds to me like he could be a good choice, although it'd be tuff to make a movie that has someone impersonating Jimi in it not turn out pretty lame.

I hope they focus on the musical/guitar angle enough.

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

Originally posted by Bejeeber:

Casting Kravitz as Hendrix makes about as much sense as casting DeNiro as Abe Lincoln. They are both the same race, and the resemblance ends there.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Originally posted by Picker:

Originally posted by Bejeeber:

Casting Kravitz as Hendrix makes about as much sense as casting DeNiro as Abe Lincoln. They are both the same race, and the resemblance ends there.
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:g1ctrYslJTAJ:i.esmas.com/image/0/000/003/663/Lenny_N.jpg

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:CkWTEc9QT5sJ:www.nndb.com/people/885/000031792/jimi-hendrix.jpg

Looks to me like Kravitz should be able to pull it off OK.

Picker, you said you look more like Jimi than lenny Kravitz does - please post your picture next to these so we can compare.

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

Originally posted by JipThePeople:

Does anyone have any more details on the movie? Links, working title, etc.?

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=hendrix+movie+kravitz&prssweb=Search&ei=UTF-8&fr=FP-tab-web-t&fl=0&x=wrt

There's not a lot there... just a lot of pre production hype.

I've been hearing about the Hendrix movie for a long time and was looking forward to it until hearing this news....yuk. There's just no possible way I could watch him playing Hendrix.

I know it shouldn't make a difference (since we really are just talking about acting here), but I just can't get past the fact that Lenny is, IMHO, a complete no-talent hack whose playing sucks almost as much as his song-writing...which is actually a bit of an accomplishment. Seriously...I've just never seen or heard anything from the guy that elevated him past poser status as far as I'm concerned.

Tom

http://www.digitalaudiorock.com

The Protools Plugin Preset Co-op

Originally posted by tld:

I've been hearing about the Hendrix movie for a long time and was looking forward to it until hearing this news....yuk. There's just no possible way I could watch him playing Hendrix.

I know it shouldn't make a difference (since we really are just talking about acting here), but I just can't get past the fact that Lenny is, IMHO, a complete no-talent hack whose playing sucks almost as much as his song-writing...which is actually a bit of an accomplishment. Seriously...I've just never seen or heard anything from the guy that elevated him past poser status as far as I'm concerned.

Tom

Craig Ross would do a better job,or he could play Noel :D

http://www.alwaysontherun.net/craig/Crai4.jpg

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Originally posted by BluesWithoutBlame:

John Mayer, he can do some Jimi stuff, with the soul.

You are oh so right! Before john mayer became huge somebody slipped me a promo disc of him doing instrumental Hendrix covers. He's the real deal when it comes to that style.
Live long and prosper unless it is a good day to die.

Originally posted by comacoda:

Originally posted by BluesWithoutBlame:

John Mayer, he can do some Jimi stuff, with the soul.

You are oh so right! Before john mayer became huge somebody slipped me a promo disc of him doing instrumental Hendrix covers. He's the real deal when it comes to that style.
Ya, if he got a tight perm and a good tan..he might just be able to pull it off!! :D:thu:

Archived