Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kravitz to play Jimmi in Movie:

Dr. Ellwood

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh... I'd heard it was going to be Andre 3000. I don't like Kravitz very much but he's probably a better choice. God knows he's tried hard enough to be Hendrix all this time, they may as well film it.

Maybe they should do some "reverse revisionism" and have Jimi played by Johnny Winter ;)

Originally posted by ellwood:

An excellant choice I think. Hay a real life REAL guitar player who loves Hendrix RIGHT ON!!!! :D:thu:

Right on is right..I wonder how he's gonna pull off playing LH.Hope he don't look like Gary Cooper

did in the Lou Gerhig story. :D

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

They might deal with the LH stuff by reversing the image. If there's nothing readable in most of the shot they can get away with it. They could also do some digital effects and reverse just Lennie. They'd need to give him a LH guitar to play upside down, though, like many of Hendrix's.

Born on the Bayou

Originally posted by LPCustom:

They might deal with the LH stuff by reversing the image. If there's nothing readable in most of the shot they can get away with it. They could also do some digital effects and reverse just Lennie. They'd need to give him a LH guitar to play upside down, though, like many of Hendrix's.

LP..now I gotta LQQK!! did Jimmi use any real deal left hand guitars? or where they all restrung standard ones??? Dunno

Kravitz is not the best choice. Toronto's Tony Springer has already played Jimi in a film, and he's a real lead player who can dish out a killer Jimi set at a moment's notice. They could just show the reverse image and he would pull it off better. :idea:
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Originally posted by Bluesape:

Kravitz is not the best choice. Toronto's Tony Springer has already played Jimi in a film, and he's a real lead player who can dish out a killer Jimi set at a moment's notice. They could just show the reverse image and he would pull it off better. :idea:

Ya you might be right!! he's a good one allright!

Originally posted by Bluesape:

Another player who can pull that off anytime is Randy Hansen (who does Jimi impersonations for a living). I saw him live about a decade ago and he totally blew my mind as a player. I left that small club he was playing at feeling like I had witnessed Jimi first-hand. I'll have to look up Tony Springer, too.

LP..now I gotta LQQK!! did Jimmi use any real deal left hand guitars? or where they all restrung standard ones??? Dunno
Lee, Clapton had just bought Jimi the first LH Strat he'd seen in the UK and was going to give it to him on the day he died.

This came from a BBC TV prog about Hendrix made about 10 years ago.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Eric Gales (the young, still living one) might have been a good choice, too. But I'm sure that Lenny Kravitz will do fine.

At least it won't be TOM CRUISE. :rolleyes:

The lefty/righty thing should prove to be a non-issue, there are soooo many ways to tackle it, even without CGI. Seen LOTR? King Kong('05)? This'd be a cakewalk.

Hmmn, I'm not even sure if I'll even feel like seeing it. Time'll tell, I'll either feel like it or I won't when ads and promo hype starts circulating... maybe I'll see some of you there. Or maybe I'll just see you here, instead. Time'll tell.

Jimi supposedly expected lefty axes to be sub-standard, at least off-the-shelf production models, so he stuck with standard righty Strats. Plus, he felt that he could just buy a bunch of 'em at a time- which he was known to do- for his live performances destroying Strats. Replaceable, disposable, practically generic- suited his gig-needs just fine!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Ain't nothing like the real thing baby...

I just can't see this movie being any good,

if I wana watch the master I'll just throw in

Woodstock or Isle of White...or Berkley

Temptations now that was a good movie :cool:

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Jimmi had some lefty guitars but he only got those a year or two before he died. Most of his career was spent playing restrung righties.

I think he had several left hand guitars and several restrung right handers when he died.

Born on the Bayou

Ack, double post.

Born on the Bayou

Originally posted by O'Shite Christmas:

Eric Gales (the young, still living one) might have been a good choice, too.

Word.

Originally posted by O'Shite Christmas:

The lefty/righty thing should prove to be a non-issue, there are soooo many ways to tackle it, even without CGI. Seen LOTR? King Kong('05)? This'd be a cakewalk.

Now you got me confused: was the actual ape in King Kong a left- or right-handed ape? ;):D

Minor pet peeve....it's Jimi, not Jimmi.

Kravitz, to me, seems like a digital version of Hendrix clone. He doesn't have the chops, and his stuff just doesn't have the Jimi vibe.

John Mayer, he can do some Jimi stuff, with the soul.

====================================================

Check out my original music at

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/jacker

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice,

but not in practice."

Originally posted by BluesWithoutBlame:

Kravitz, to me, seems like a digital version of Hendrix clone. He doesn't have the chops, and his stuff just doesn't have the Jimi vibe.

John Mayer, he can do some Jimi stuff, with the soul.

Well, Kravitz doesn't have to SOUND like Jimi or even do his chops. All that can easily be overdubbed later.

Whoever they get for the part just has to come across like Hendrix on film and know which way to hold a guitar.

Lenny Kravitz looks about as much like Jimi as I do, and I'm a 52 year-old-WASP. Bad choice. You can teach an actor to look like he knows how to play much easier than you can teach a guitar player how to act really well, so get an actor, some one who can actually act, instead of a guitar player that can't act worth a hoot, and don't worry about how real the guitar playing looks.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

In response to the question on Jimi's guitars, Jimi played right handed guitars flipped over with the nuts reversed and restrung to a standard left handed stringing. It is my understanding that this was initially done by Jimi for economic and practical reasons as there were not many left handed versions available during Jimi's early career. Once Jimi became famous, he struck with the converted righty guitars which became one of his trademarks.

With respect to the musicians stated in this post who could play Jimi, can any of them act?? Playing guitar well would be a good attribute but if they are ham actors, the movie will bomb.

Originally posted by Picker:

Lenny Kravitz looks about as much like Jimi as I do, and I'm a 52 year-old-WASP. Bad choice. You can teach an actor to look like he knows how to play much easier than you can teach a guitar player how to act really well, so get an actor, some one who can actually act, instead of a guitar player that can't act worth a hoot, and don't worry about how real the guitar playing looks.

True, but how do we KNOW Lenny can't act? He comes from a theatrical family, maybe he can act?

Archived