Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"The White Stripes"...???

miroslav

Just received my December Mix issue...and there are a couple of pages about this "band"..."The White Stripes".

It's a brother and sister act...he plays guitar & stuff...and she plays drums & stuff.

Anyone know much about them, and are they a "legit" act or just another "product"...?

I'm guessing they must be somewhat decent to rate a 2-page spread...though I must say, much of the two pages is devoted to the audio gear brands they are using on stage...

...and there is little about the music they make.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They're an actual "act", not a "product" but they sound like shit and can barely play their instruments. That little problem aside, I kinda like their album "White Blood Cells", I like a few songs in "Elephant" and hate what I've heard from their last cd.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Love em......They were husband and wife though, not brother and sister. Would you rather hear some great, heartfelt, kick ass songwriting, or some more "American Idol" contrived stuff? I don't like everything they have ever done, but, Jack is a great writer with a lot of soul and spirit.

Once I thought I saw you, in a crowded, hazy, bar........

Originally posted by miroslav:

Just received my December Mix issue...and there are a couple of pages about this "band"..."The White Stripes".

Uhmm... that's really err... up with the times, isn't it? ;)

Like them or not, the White Stripes are a major act, the guy has been on the cover of GP and has done records with various people, including Loretta Lynn.

Oh...their married.

Well..they look kinda' young in the Mix photos...and I just assumed it was another brother/sister act.

Sorry I missed that thread from a few months ago...I don't want to stir up more wars... ;)

...but I really had not heard of themn 'til I saw the Mix issue.

So...can someone describe the type/style of music they play?

They're into people like Son House, but kind of sped up and nastier. Maybe a bit like a post Nirvana version of Hound Dog Taylor.

Not my cup of tea, but I'm sure there's a bunch of samples on amazon. Whether they are/were married or not is one of those rumour things AFAIK. They claim to be brother and sister, but apparently his birth name is not White. I was reading up on them in a rock encyclopaedia today.

Actually, it was the Rough Guide encyclopaedia. I think there'll be a page on them on their site.

Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

Uhmm... that's really err... up with the times, isn't it? ;)

No...I don't really try to "keep up".

The good, new stuff always has a way of filtering through to me...

...but, I'm sure if I was tunned in to the "hip" radio stations on a daily basis I would be more in-tune to "The White Stripes". ;)

Which of their offerings have you heard...and what's your opinion of them?

Originally posted by ellwood:

Nirvana! yes, and there's the rub I think :D

Oh... :(

So it's more of that over-saturated, monotone, "attitude" music...?

Well...no wonder "The White Stripes" slipped under my radar. If I had heard them on the radio...and if they do sound Nirvana-ish...they would NOT have caught my ear at all.

Sorry...not to start a Nirvana love/hate war...but I just never much thought of them to be as big a band as so many make them out to be!

The other night...I was watching this documentary on the top British pop bands that appeared in the post-Nirvana void...

and the band "Oasis" was proclaimed as the greatest rock band of that time...???

...and though I have heard of them, and a few of their tunes....yaaaaaaawn :bor:

They are about 10-times more boring than even Nirvana was to me.

Every one of their "songs"...kinda' sounds...

...the same!!!???

Just a lot of power-chord grunginess with a "pop twist"...and pretty boring monotone vocals...IMO.

If anythingfrom that period, I think the band Pulp is about 10 times more creative and more interesting musically as a pop band than Oasis.

ButIm was not a British youth during that period.

Maybe they hear something I just cantthough I think Ive gotten pretty good at recognizing good songsregardless of what generation they are aimed at.

Anyway...I'll have to keep my ears open for a "White Stripes" tune...though I haven't turned on the radio in quite a few months!

Maybe I'll just ask my collage radio station buddy to toss me a sample...

[and the band "Oasis" was proclaimed as the greatest rock band of that time...???

...and though I have heard of them, and a few of their tunes....yaaaaaaawn :bor:

There's a book called 31 Songs where it talks about the Beatles in 1965 and the author comments wrily, "the year that Oasis have been trying to live in for the past 10 years".

He has a point, classic Oasis is very "Revolver", really.

But bear in mind that I said that The White Stripes sounded like a post Nirvana Hound Dog Taylor and that Lee picked up on the Nirvana thing. The White Stripes don't really sound like Nirvana.

Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

http://music.yahoo.com/ar-292583-bio--The-White-Stripes

Well...I see from this article...that they have been around awhile...

butthey just never "blipped" on my screen... :confused:

So I see that they are supposed to be a R&R band...but I must say, looking at the stage photos in the Mix issue...and seeing that they are just a duo...

...I would have guessed that they do more "head music"...free-improvetc.

For R&R/pop...I always prefer a 4 or 5 piece...you know...drums, guitars, bass, piano/organ...

...all being played at the same time... :cool:

...not in turn, as I suppose "The White Stripes" need to do...being just a two piece.

Well...now my curiosity is up a bit...and I'll make sure to try and hear a few of their cuts before a pass any further judgment on them.

But...I'm a bit puzzled...

Since they have been around awhile...and gotten some pretty solid publicity, as mentioned in your article link...

...I would have to believe that at even if some people don't like their music/sound...they must at least be decent musicians...???

And yet...in this thread...some have said that they play like shit...???

...I would have to believe that at even if some people don't like their music/sound...they must at least be decent musicians...???

And yet...in this thread...some have said that they play like shit...???

I'm! not! going! down that road! ;) We're about to go off the road and start the 3,937,209th "punk vs. classic rock" thread. And I'm not really into them so I don't feel like getting into it. :D

Like I said, they're a bit blues, but very stripped down and edgier. Was Hound Dog Taylor a great guitarist?

There's been a few vids on over here recently and I think I saw them on Jools Holland's 'Later' show.

My impression was of a fat girl hitting the drums and a fat guy scrubbing a (cheap) guitar.

I think they may be the musical equivalent of a 'primitive' painter ;) for those in the know.

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

It's not like Nirvana, but it IS attitude music. Kinda like old bluesy rock but punky and terribly played. Makes good "car music", I think. Drummer is terrible, can't keep the beat, and the guy can't sing some of his own high tunes (listen to White Blood Cells). But as far as stripped-down rock goes, they're good b/c of their songs, not their playing skills. I'd rather listen to them than to the cookie-cutter "heavy-but-lamey" sounding bands of today.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Check out "Ball and Bisquit" before deciding. I love the White Stripes....raw, energetic blues...and I like Jack's playing. I read a long article in either Rolling Stone or Mojo, Jack and Meg were married but are now just friends, he's been dating quite a few super models and just married one not that long ago. They did let the brother/sister rumour spread in their earlier days, figured it would "Sell" better than a "husband/wife" team.
www.myspace.com/darcyhoover

Originally posted by Guitar55:

Jack White earned credibility by producing Loretta Lynn's Grammy-winning latest album "Van Lear Rose". He convinced her to write all the songs for the disc for the first time ever. Talk about an Odd Couple! Great album, though. Check it out.

I've only heard a couple of songs from that CD, but they ROCKED! He should stay a producer, cuz I think White Strips suck!! no offense, but they can barely play and sing, i don't think they can sing harmony...and why the Hell would you record with bass tracks and NO BASS live??? come on, that's just a gimic. They can afford to hire a bass player for the love of God! I will give him that some of his songs are cool, but I've seen a concert video of them and they did none of their "good" songs justice.

:cry::cry:

Archived