Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

minimal rig maximum tone

comacoda

The Scenario: Your governement needs you! (yes, the same one that is extending the patriot act but I digress...) Your mission requires that you perform wicked, sizzling, guitar solo material with no more than your axe of choice and gear that will fit into your average back pack or suitcase. Price is no object, though as a taxpayer you would do well to consider it should your equipment be stollen or damaged. For this suicide mission you are given no more than an address and reconiscance photo depicting a small stage and the report of an informant who say's they "have a PA". What gear do you bring?
Live long and prosper unless it is a good day to die.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's right! Weight, and space are important. You are severely limited in this scenario! Is that the best you can do? You've got to win hearts and minds! The room isn't very large. They do have a PA as well. Capacity of 50-75 persons. Solutions? MAXIMUM TONE MINIMUM RIG.

Originally posted by PickPunk:

well if i had one i'd probably bring one of those fancy shmancy line 6 podxt live things or one of their digitech equivalents and the agile axe that i'm ordering for xmas :thu: :

http://www.rondomusic.net/photos/electric/ag3500bk1.jpg

peace

That would work...

Originally posted by ellwood:

Ok but first... is this a Union gig or a scab gig?? are the sound guys Union or non? how much for the gig and do we get traveling money and ... ya got a contract on this??? :D:rolleyes:

LOL That's not very patriotic.

Originally posted by Danzilla:

Vox ADV30; EB/MM Steve Morse model (designed small enough that Steve could fly with it). Or an Epiphone Mandobird with a Bass Octave pedal.

Precision strike. Very nice.

Originally posted by comacoda:

Originally posted by Guitar Geezer:

OK, Pod Xt and this:

http://www.sonicftp.com/news/images/s-namm05_crate500.jpg

You said they had a PA!

You can also fry yourself an egg on one of those...
I'm just joshin ya. That's definately a doable solution, and probably a damn good thing to have around for just such a national crisis. But I gotta ask. Doesn't george foreman make one of those too?

I just bought a Fender G-Dec for my son's Christmas present. It is without a doubt a very fine modeler of many amps and effects. Two of us were playing around with it last night (just so I can show the Jr. how it works, ya know) and it produced some very fine tones with both his Les Paul and my Strat.

He not busy being born

Is busy dyin'.

...Bob Dylan

I went on a similar quest a couple of years ago to find me a setup that I would take to open mics. I wanted something flexible (many available and believable amp tones and FX), portable (backpack type) and very quick and easy to setup (you have to setup in the dark while the act before you does a couple of tunes). My choice was the POD XT Pro with the shortboard controller.

Now that I've used it a while, there are a couple of other things that might get my vote:

POD XT Live (came out shortly after I bought my unit) because the controller and the modeler are integrated into one device e.g. even more portable and even quicker to setup.

And based on what I've read here, I would also audition the VOX ToneLab SE (similar in features to POD XT Live with possibly better "amp feel").

Add your favorite guitar and go have some fun :D .

Rhino

O.K., you've left out some very important criteria. Namely:

* Overall style/tonal requirements?

Squeaky Clean? Country/Jazz Clean? R&B? Bluesy? Reeeaally Bluesy? R&R? Hard Rock? Heavy Metal? Off the scale distortion?

* Channel/Program switching?

Will you need to be able to change from clean to overdriven or distorted on-the-fly? Or will one very good basic tone, responsive to your playing dynamics and the guitar's volume and tone controls, be all you'll need?

* Speaker Cab?

Will you depend solely on said PA and monitors, or will you actually require some type of speaker cabinet of your own for stage-monitor/feedback/etc.?

* Effects and Processing?

Do it at the board? Or get all tweaky with it and send a fully realized signal to the PA, complete with any and all special effects and signal processing? For that matter, what specific effects or processing will you want in particular, and just how much real-time control will you need of any parameters?

Fill me on on some of these, and I'll give you my answer... heavy on the "maximum tone", as well as the "minimal rig" requirements. (So far I've seen much of the latter here, but little of the former... )

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Caevan,

Looking for an emphasis on one usable dynamic tone with the ability to sound full and overdriven but detailed enough for jazzy chords and fat enough for dropped tunings. The baseline needs to be fairly clean. Simple but effective eq is a must. Trying to use the house system and leave my own amps/cabinets at home. Will have pedalboard in tow for all effects but reverb, will allow for natural or board reverb.

Hmmmnn...

If you can get away with something the size of a head, I'd go with a good tube head like a Tone King Meteor II (best "Fender" "tweed" AND "blackface" ever, bar none), or various Rivera heads, or a THD Flexi 50 or Bivalve or Univalve, or a Budda, feeding a GT Electonics (as in "Groove Tubes") Speaker Emulator II.

The GT E Sp Emu II is a reactive-load speaker emulator that uses an actual speaker voice-coil inside. It takes the speaker output from any tube amp up to a nominal 100 watts (Fender Twins, Marshalls, etc.) and puts out a line-level DI signal that sounds incredibly like a close-mic'ed vintage Celestion loaded cab, driven by whatever tube-amp you choose. It also has onboard EQ and an effects-loop.

With a little time spent tweaking the Sp Emu's input and output controls, you can get amazing tones from any good tube amp effectively being turned into a monster preamp. Putting good effects and processors after the Speaker Emulator (or in its loop)- and thus after all stages of the tube-amp's- yeilds gig sounds not too unlike studio effects put after the mic input at the desk. Why this approach (and the GT E Sp Emu) hasn't caught on better than it has over the years, I do not know. Ask Myles, he owns several of those Sp Emu's, and like mine, his aren't for sale!

If a head is still just too big, I'd check out both the Digitech GNX4 and the Vox Valvetronix/Tonelab SE floor units. I have limited personal experience with either, but I'd start and finish there for live-gig digital modeling units. Plus, you'd have loads of effects and processing on-tap. Folks here on this forum have had a lot of good to say about both of these.

If small small small is what you need, maybe a Z Vexx Nano Head would do, if you fed it into the aforementioned Speaker Emulator or maybe a Dr Z Airbrake or THD Hotplate. Tiny all-tube head smaller than many stompboxes. I have no personal experience with these, and I do not know how tight the low-end would be or how broad of a dynamic range you'd have through a Speaker Emulator, etc. But it's worth consideration if small's the word.

Well, your sugestions meet the ninja's on motorcycles approach to the mission. Definitely with you in spirit. The impetus for my quest is the hellish snow that besets Chicago. I'm from arizona and this snow is cramping my style. I WILL not cary my tube amps down the block on sidewalks covered in half an inch of ice. I've seen guys plug in amps wet from melting snow. Unreal. I'm doing a gift exchange with a buddy. He's getting a reverb pedal and I'm getting the sansamp tri ac I gave him last year. I'm gonna try and build around that using mostly what I've already got laying around. I really would like a device specific to modelling cabinets and mics with eq and compression.... I'd like to run guitar, Tech 21 tri ac, EQ, post compression, cab sim, line driver, PA or amp. This may not be as sweet as my tube amps at home but they will be out of harms way... I remember the tech 21 as sounding pretty decent and I can live with that until the damn snow melts. I want a device to shape tone down line from the sansamp..... I hear that a good cab sim is helpful....

Well, if "price is no object", you could get some sort of padded cordura shoulder-straped gig-bag/case that would fit a head. Especially some of these smaller ones, like the THD offerings...

Of course, that Z Vexx all-tube Nano Head could even fit in some pockets... it's tiny. It'd still need a proper speaker emulator or attenuator to connect it DI without any speakers, though.

Hmn; I wonder just how that new Line 6 Tone Port gizmo could apply to live situations? It's supposed to have a number of cab, mic, and mic-pre/console-strip sims, if I understand correctly...

I'd think that the Tri Ac wouldn't need any additional speaker simulation, I thought that speaker and cab sim was part and parcel of the whole Sansamp gameplan.

When I began the thread It was in the spirit of fun, but ultimately the topic does affect me personally. Discussing my situation brings in a healthy chokehold on the budget. No amount of gas is going justify more than $200 outlay, this is just for the winter! Interesting suggestion, I will look into the toneport because it has recording apps.... I really think that many of the suggestions are very good and would enjoy more of them, with or without my budget considerations... Thanks to all!

How is the tri-ac for recording? Can it get a Vox AC30 clean and crunch sound? I'm deciding between getting one or a Tonelab, but the tri-ac is cheaper, but has way less features. (I'm hoping fo r more quality over tonelab)

Pier.

Originally posted by comacoda:

He's getting a reverb pedal and I'm getting the sansamp tri ac I gave him last year. I'm gonna try and build around that using mostly what I've already got laying around. I really would like a device specific to modelling cabinets and mics with eq and compression.... I'd like to run guitar, Tech 21 tri ac, EQ, post compression, cab sim, line driver, PA or amp. This may not be as sweet as my tube amps at home but they will be out of harms way... I remember the tech 21 as sounding pretty decent and I can live with that until the damn snow melts. I want a device to shape tone down line from the sansamp..... I hear that a good cab sim is helpful....

* Godin Freeway Classic * Seagull M6 * Timothy S10J

Yeah, that budget changes everything! If I seemed unrealistic, it was just that I tried to follow your specified manifesto to a "T". Too bad, you'd love that Tone King/GT E Sp Emu recipe...

That Tri Ac aughtta do ya, for what you're talking about. It appears to have been designed for exactly the application you describe. Putting additional, outboard speaker simulation of some kind after it would probably dull and darken it too much.

Just for discussion's sake:

O.K., maybe you could score a good deal on a '70s "silverface" Champ, put your pedalboard in front of it, and close-mic it? You could do a lot worse, but maybe not a lot better...

(One of the very coolest sounding amps I ever had was a stone-stock '70s "sf" Champ. Stick a serious clean-boost in front to overdrive the Hell out of it and it'd breath fire!)

Look for a good deal on a used Tech 21 Sansamp, like their various rackmount units?

I really dug your input, hence the ninja's on motorcycles rating :) Right now I'm slamming my epiphone valve special modded with a jensen and gt mullard reissue/jj cocktail with a SD clean boost and a ts7 and it's pretty rockin! Just trying to keep my stick on the ice and not my gear. I love vibro champs by the way, LOVE'EM.

Archived