Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Why do I like Metallica?

Hardtail

I was listening to Load and Reload on the way home.

Why do I like this band?

Lar Ulrich has got to be the worst professional drummer I've ever heard. The guy sounds like he's beating the skins with baseball bats. If he plays anything more tight than 1/8 notes, he's lost.

Then there's Jason Newsted (I know he's not in the band anymore). If someone stole his flanger, he probably wouldn't be able to play his bass.

Kirk Hammett! I wish someone would take his wah pedal away from him.

James Hetfield - Don't have much problems with him. I think he's solid at what he does.

Despite what I hate about this band, I still love listening to their tunes (when I'm in a Metallica kind of mood). The energy is high and the songwriting is excellent.

Out of this rant, I guess I'm curious to know what bands you guys like where individually, the musicians are average but together, they rock.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Bluesape:

I find it depressing and always enraged about something or other. Great music for committing self-destructive acts, :bor:

I understand. Like I said, I have to be in the mood for them. Tomorrow, I'll probably crank out some Miles Davis. A total 180.

BTW, the frog dissection thing had me in tears with laughter.

Originally posted by ellwood:

Eric Burton and the Animals. No one exceptional but together raw flat out emotion and dynamic playing. Oh Lord Please Don'd Let Me Be Misunderstood is a good example but there are tons from them.

Funny you should mention the Animals. I recently purchased the Animals Retrospective CD. Mainly because of "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" but also love "House of the Rising Sun." I guess bands are like sports teams, you can have a couple of superstars, but if they can't gel together as a team/band, they may not win/sound good. Sometimes the whole is better than the sum of its parts.

I too like Metallica. Not my fave band, but I like them OK. I don't care for the more recent heavy metal bands, the ones where the singer sounds like a demon possessed. Metallica is somewhat musical and I do hear some talent there. They are amongst the best in the metal genre IMO.

Originally posted by KPB:

I find it depressing and always enraged about something or other. Great music for committing self-destructive acts, :bor:

I understand. Like I said, I have to be in the mood for them. Tomorrow, I'll probably crank out some Miles Davis. A total 180.

BTW, the frog dissection thing had me in tears with laughter.

Ya know what they say - laughter tastes better than medicine, or somethin' like that. :D
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

I find it depressing and always enraged about something or other.

I have my own depression, rage, and angst. I am trying to get rid of it, and I don't need theirs coming in to replace it, thank you very much.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Originally posted by ihategarybettman:

I'm gonna get flamed by Metallica fans, but "Load" is my favorite album by them. KPB, the main reason I like the band is also James Hetfield, who is a monster of a rhythm player. That band wouldn't sound anywhere near as heavy and tight without him.

I have to agree here. Aside from the band's other silly acts, hardly anyone can pound a mean, heavy riff like James.

I actually like St. Anger, if only for the included live DVD performance. Save the album CD as a coaster. :D

I like Metallica b/c they simply have an entourage of kick'n songs. Anyone who likes metal can't deny that.

Have you read the latest interview w/ Kirk in GW, I think it was?

It seems he definitely desires to publicly expand his library w/ a solo record- something completely outside of metal. But for now his allegiance is to Metallica. He also admits that Metallica has ticked off a lot of so-called faithful fans with their evolution as a band.

As a fan, I desire to allow them creative freedom instead of pigeonholing them into a certain sound/mold.

Bands change and mature, so their fans should allow them to do the same.

Blessed Christmas! :thu:

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Archived