Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Muscle soreness

Hardtail

Since I've been playing again, I seemed to have developed an acute soreness in my right arm (I'm right handed). The soreness is primarily in my forearm just below the elbow and the lower tendon of my bicep.

Never in my life have I experienced this playing guitar; not even in my "Metallica Phase" chord-shred phase.

Hopefully, it'll just go away after awhile. However, I'm getting to that point in my life where shit like this never really goes away.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Should I just get out the ice and the Ben-Gay and hope for the best?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'm a working guy like most here so my practices aren't always consistent. I try for at least an hour a day after work but I usually play for hours on end during the weekends when I have the time.

As far as tension, I don't think so but I'll keep it in mind.

I do play with a strap so the guitar is always in the same spot on my body.l

Where is your elbow on your right arm when your hand is in the picking position? You might be pulling on the guitar with your forearm and not really notice it. Are you playing with long or short sleeves? If you're playing with short sleeves, try it with a long sleeve shirt and see if the reduced drag helps.

How flexed is your elbow when you play? Is your elbow on the top of the guitar (the face) or on the rim of the body? Is your forearm dragging across the top when you play?

Born on the Bayou

That really sounds to me like you just pulled a muscle/tendon a little, maybe doing something not even guitar related and didn't feel it when it happened. Or maybe when you were dragging an amp around? I have pulled a muscle in the exact area you describe while loading/unloading big, heavy combo amps because they are clumsy and hard to handle....it's difficult to get into position to lift them properly...you sort of have to use those stupid handles they put on top of them.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Originally posted by Sasquatch51:

That really sounds to me like you just pulled a muscle/tendon a little, maybe doing something not even guitar related and didn't feel it when it happened. Or maybe when you were dragging an amp around? I have pulled a muscle in the exact area you describe while loading/unloading big, heavy combo amps because they are clumsy and hard to handle....it's difficult to get into position to lift them properly...you sort of have to use those stupid handles they put on top of them.

Ya!! hay you know what I did once.. I put those Marshall type side handles on my TWIN!!! ya I know probably takes the value out of em...but MAN did it make hoisting that thing around alot easier!!!

It dosen't sound like something related directly to playing guitar. If you don't feel stressed or tense in your right arm playing, it is mot likely something else, like sleeping on it funny. Maybe the guitar is digging into your arm?

If it doesn't go away in a couple of weeks, have a doctor check it out. I had a friend that was getting numb in his left arm and he thought it was from his guitar strap. It took a year for the doctors to diagnose but he he had a condition where a nerve was bieng pinched inside his collar bone that was aggravated by the guitar. Its a good thing that he was seeing doctor's, the doctor that figured it out and did the minor surgery said that if he had gone on much longer he would have suffered permanant damage. The sad thing is soon after he recuperated, he cut off the tip of his finger making a box for his PA rack.

I think I know what's going on now.

I play a Les Paul so as you know, unlike a Strat, the front of a LP doesn't have the contoured edge for your right arm. In fact, the LP has a sharp edge.

This edge has been digging into my forearm. I adjusted the strap so that the edge now sits tucked in the fold of my elbow. It's at major geek height now.

Hopefully, this will fix the problem.

Archived