Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

a VERY VERY BEST guitar players are...

Carlos Bigurra

In my opinion the best for me are: Vitto Bratta, Edy Van Halen, Steve Vai,Paco de Lucia, Jimy Hendrix, Jimy Page, Ynwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert, Randy Rhoads and Toño Ruiz.

BUT; I separate in a diferent levels of great guitar players:

1) Genius and prodygius (Robert Jhonson, Jimy Hendrix, Paco de Lucia, Ynwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai).

2) Excelent (Steve Howe, Jimy Page, Vito Bratta, Paul Gilbert, Van Halen, Albert Lee, Reb Beach, Randy Rhoads, Jhon Petrucci, Allan Holdsworth,

Mark Knopfler, George Benson, Frank Gambale).

3) Very Good (Ritchie Blackmore, Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, Vivian Campbel, Steve Lukater, Neal Schown, George Linch, Steve Ray Vaughan, Steve Morse, Gary More, Jef Beck, Robben Ford, David Gilmour, Tony Macalpine, Toño Ruiz, Julio Revueltas, Wilder Medrano, Chuck Berry).

4) Good (Dwzil Zappa, Blue Sarraseno, Gary Hoey, Adrian Vandemberg, Carlos Santana, Marty Friedman, Zakk Wylde, jason becker, Chris Impelleretti, Vinie More, Alvin Lee).

5) Regular (Slash, a many guitar players in bars, restaurants, cofees, partys, and so on).

6) Bad (Benny Ibarra, guitar in garages and a few fanatics and guitar colectors).

Thanks and Warm Regards

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Carlos Bigurra:

In my opinion the best for me are: Vitto Bratta, Edy Van Halen, Steve Vai,Paco de Lucia, Jimy Hendrix, Jimy Page, Ynwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert, Randy Rhoads and Toño Ruiz.

Well, then...there you have it. For you, those are the best. For me it would probably be whoever I'm enjoying listening to at the moment.

By the way, who's Edy Van Halen? Is that Eddie's sister?

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

But sometimes we do use good, gooder and goodest...as long as proper grammar is adhered to (is my participle dangling?). For instance: "Carlos Santana is a good guitarist, but he's not the goodest. Stevie Ray Vaughn was more gooder, but he's not the goodest neither."

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Welcome Carlos. I think players get to certain level of expertise, and then it becomes a matter of taste who is the best. I love to hear someone shred who really knows how, like Vai or Satriani, or Vito Bratta, who was really great with White Lion. But I only love hearing it for about 45 minutes. After that, I want something that moves my soul, not my head. The best players, in my book, are the ones that not only have the chops, but also the fire in their souls that warms the people who hear them.

Always remember that you�re unique. Just like everyone else.

Originally posted by KPB:

Cut the guy some grammar/spelling slack. Do you all not see where he's from?

Dude..chill. Nobody's bustin' on Carlos...just making jokes and having fun. Is that a problem in this thread?

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

It's interesting that I have played guitar and listened to, and watched, guitarists and bought hundreds of albums, tapes, and CDs over the last #`*^ years, but if I started a list of the 'VERY,VERY best' guitarists of all time, absolutely none from Carlos' list of 50 or so would make my top 30.

It's a pretty subjective thing, isn't it?

Originally posted by Sasquatch51:

Dude..chill. Nobody's bustin' on Carlos...just making jokes and having fun. Is that a problem in this thread?
Sasquatch51, it's hard to crack jokes with people you've never met using the written word. You might throw in a winky or "J/K (just kidding)" to clue them in to be sure they know you're just goofing around.

BTW, welcome to the forum Carlos. People are mostly nice folks here. Although sometimes we can be misunderstood.

Tell us a little about yourself. We don't bite. We all have the love of playing guitar in common, here. What kind of rig do you play?

Born on the Bayou

Originally posted by LPCustom:

Sasquatch51, it's hard to crack jokes with people you've never met using the written word. You might throw in a winky or "J/K (just kidding)" to clue them in to be sure they know you're just goofing around.

BTW, welcome to the forum Carlos. People are mostly nice folks here. Although sometimes we can be misunderstood.

Tell us a little about yourself. We don't bite. We all have the love of playing guitar in common, here. What kind of rig do you play?

Yeah, I guess...oh, well. Maybe I was having a gooder time than I was supposed to. :D

By the way...some of us DO bite. :D

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

But sometimes we do use good, gooder and goodest...as long as proper grammar is adhered to (is my participle dangling?). For instance: "Carlos Santana is a good guitarist, but he's not the goodest. Stevie Ray Vaughn was more gooder, but he's not the goodest neither."

Tuck yer dang participle back in dad gummitt!! :D
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Yeah...and there's a bunch of people in there that shouldn't be in a "best player" list at all (Slash shouldn't be in a player list at all, let alone best player), in my opinion..which obviously differs from Carlos' opinion......hmmm.....must be a pretty subjective thing, huh? :P

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

And then there's the question, best at what? Some people play great in one style and simply don't have a feel for another, even if they get the notes right!

Even within a genre: for example, Horowitz was fabulous at Chopin and a number of other composers, but by common consent just could not do Beethoven right!

And some great improvisers couldn't read music, and some great classical players can't improvise well... which certainly doesn't take away from their excellence at their specialty!

But very few people can play all styles at a level of greatness.. if anybody can!

Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

I think you have Slash rated WAAAYYY too high. :P

And I can't relate to a list that leaves out Ry Cooder and Leo Kottke. :rolleyes:
And I'll drink to the Ry Cooder thing. Hic!!

:freak:

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Originally posted by Eric Iverson:

And then there's the question, best at what? Some people play great in one style and simply don't have a feel for another, even if they get the notes right!

Well, yeah. There was that Tom something guy a couple of weeks ago. The one with the pages on how to improve your guitar playing and he said that there's no reason why you should beat yourself up over playing in a single "idiom".

You wouldn't expect BB King to shred or someone like... dunno, Segovia, to play delta blues, so why should you kill yourself if you're not interested in stepping outside you own chosen idiom?

Originally posted by Caputo:

Carlos, Carlos, Where are you? You've only posted twice. Are you a hit and run?

Yes, that's what his girl friend says as well... ;)
Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

I'd go with Grandad here, one man's treasure is another man's trash, for me personally, Carlos Santana, Walter Becker, Eddie Hazell, Rory Gallagher, depends on the mood though, occassionally it's me ! Specially when I have managed to hold the ryhthym together through a 15 minute funk epic which don't give the opportunity for some "lead relief" !!.

Give yourself some praise, you are probably better than you think !!

Chris aka Premo - Dover UK

Archived