Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Audition...

fantasticsound

Well, Rob suggested I should play out. I really do want to play with a band now.

But something was dropped in my lap that could be lucrative and fun, though I'm not counting any chickens yet.

A casting agent phoned my company in hopes of finding a guitarist and upright bassist for a national tv ad campaign. They're looking for 25 - 35 year old men with (preferably) musical ability and outgoing personalities to star in a series of tv ads.

I said, "Well, I'm 38 so I guess that counts me out." and she asks, "Do you look 30-ish?"

Next thing I know I'm scheduled for an audition Sunday afternoon. :freak:

Wish me luck! :thu:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Knock-em dead!

BTW - I have a friend who manages a restaurant who also does some voice-over and acting work. He tells me their is a HUGE talent gap for 35-50 year old males in Nashville. Supposedly it is VERY easy to land commercial gigs in town if you are in this demographic.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Originally posted by Mudcat:

Knock-em dead!

BTW - I have a friend who manages a restaurant who also does some voice-over and acting work. He tells me their is a HUGE talent gap for 35-50 year old males in Nashville. Supposedly it is VERY easy to land commercial gigs in town if you are in this demographic.

Holy cats, pack the bags & fill up the tank Mary!

Once I thought I saw you, in a crowded, hazy, bar........

Originally posted by Rhino Madness:

Well, well, Neil... looks like we might very well see ya on TV!!!

Best of luck!

Thanks, but don't hold your breath waiting for my mug to grace the airwaves. It would be somethin', though. :)

Mudcat - I really need to speak with your friend. As a 38 year old who'd love to break in to that end of the entertainment/advertising business, I'd love to hear his full take on how to proceed regardless of how this turns out.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

HA! Do it, bro! Keep us posted!

BTW...Is Lilly getting ready for some Hanukkah goodies? 'Tis the season... I just snapped a pic of Preston rockin' around the Christmas tree...gotta upload it for an avatar. You had that absolutely stunning avatar of Lilly in front of a Menorah last year.

That's what this time of year is about. Kids!!! :D kIdS rULe!!

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

They're looking for 25 - 35 year old men with (preferably) musical ability and outgoing personalities to star in a series of tv ads.

It'll be the silver beard that gives away my age, then - Damn!! .......

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Hay good luck Neil!! what an ultra cool thing to be doing! Even just the audition should be great and what an experience for you! I hope you get it if ya want it! I wonder if you are going to actually have to play in the commercials live or you will get to track first and then mock it in the production? Hay tell them you can play bass too and you can get both parts :D Good Luck Neil! and happy holidays to you and your family.

Wow! Thanks, guys! :thu:

I've been going over the music and it just occured to me that I don't have a clue if they're looking for something specific in the musical style. But since they asked for an upright bass player I'm assuming they want an acoustic and to play it straight... well, as straight as one can play campy song parodies with rather awkward lyrics.

Hey Vince, I certainly hope so! I just shaved my hair down last again last weekend with my moustache trimmer. I just wish I could find my fedora... That would make me a shoe in. ;)

Hey Ted, I think I'll use the Chanukiah avatar again this year. Thanks for reminding me. And Preston looks like he'll be playing Johnny B. Good by the time he's 5. ;):thu:

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

(I wrote this last night, but for some reason it didn't go through. :confused: )

The audition turned out well despite some minor trainwrecks. ;)

I was the last one to show up. In fact, I probably could've come in anytime today. When I arrived several duos were practicing in the hall and a friend of mine, a full time entertainer, was just leaving.

I went to the check-in desk, filled out some paperwork, then sat down to listen to a demo cd they had of the intended arrangements. The song I'd been working up was exactly the way I'd played it, with a few minor changes. (One lyric I kept "messing up", in the sense that I sung it with a lead in (multiple notes for the first syllable) whereas the music first word on paper began on a single downbeat. Turns out the demo was sung with the lead in I'd been adding but I'd finally stopped singing it that way! :freak: )

The casting agent set me up with a partner because it should be on videotape as a duo. The group before me was doing the same song of the three, so they hooked me up with one of the two guys. It was a blessing in disguise.

The guy (Ryan) they hooked my up with hadn't known from his agent to bring a guitar. His buddy had one, and I loaned him mine. For my audition he had his buddy's guitar and I had mine, but he hadn't practiced the song.

So here we are performing, me playing rhythm and singing and him trying to pick out some lead lines and toss in "responses" to the lyrics. (Which was on the cd.) Can you say "trainwreck"? In addition to his noodling (which I didn't even hear.), they had the lyrics written in large print on a flipchart with chord letters. I say "chord letters" because that's all that was written. Not "Amin". Just "A". And the tune is filled with maj7th's and min7th's, maj7th 3rd inversions and more. So when I looked up at the lyrics (which were difficult to ignore) I lost my train of thought on the chords. :freak: But I did manage to hit most of it and sing well.

We finished and the casting agent was excited. :confused: What I heard was, "trainwreck". What he heard and saw was, "Smothers Brothers"! Cool. So now we're running through it again, and Ryan's supposed to noodle around a la Tommy Smothers while I give him, "the look". The casting agent wanted me to get upset and scold him at the end. When we finished that take I turned to Ryan and said, "If you want to play solos, play so low nobody can hear you!" :D

Then it was a take of just me so I could play and sing without distraction. Keep in mind this was all the casting agent's idea, not a complaint from me. Very cool.

He sounded very encouraging about submitting my audition though, in my mind, I definitely kerfocked a bit of it. The best part was that, as the last audtiion of the day there was no hurry to finish, very little pressure, and while this may amount to nothing, mine was the last impression he had of today's applicants.

They have another day of auditions tomorrow, and I know he's seen some talented guys including a number of Music Row powerhouses. If nothing else it was a good experience to put my foot in the door. And who knows? Someone's going to get this ad... why not me? :)

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Thanks guys! I'll certainly let you know if it comes through.

Originally posted by Caputo:

Congrats, again Neil. It's always cool to hear that there are still real gigs out there

Real corny gigs! Of course, it will be for real money, so I'm not complaining! :D

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Thanks guys! I'll certainly let you know if it comes through.

Originally posted by Caputo:

Congrats, again Neil. It's always cool to hear that there are still real gigs out there

Real corny gigs! Of course, it will be for real money, so I'm not complaining! :D
Well, that's what I alluded to.

There seems to be a real infrastructure w/ the casting crew, auditions, etc . . .

Instead of these fly by night whorehouse situations i have been scarred by

Neil,

Congratulations on such an exciting opportunity. Good luck to you. :thu:

quote:Originally posted by mdrs:

It's pure B.S., and obvioulsy inaccurate. I suspect it is posted for effect, not for accuracy.

John Petrucci > Johnny Winter

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Guitar One Mag > Guitarplayer

Slash > Carlton

Archived