Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mingling with the crowd

BluesWithoutBlame

Just wondering. When you play out, and many friends, etc. come up to hear you, when you take a break and other strangers come up to talk with you, how do you treat them?

Seems like sometimes you get in a position where you either ignore one or the other.

How do you folks that play out often (well..often enough and probably it is old hat to the relatives and buddies...so that might ease it up a little)

Just generally, how much time do you give to people that seem to want to discuss music, your songs, etc. during breaks?

====================================================

Check out my original music at

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/jacker

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice,

but not in practice."

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good question: this is how we work it, we play 45 on an 15 off, when we go on break we get together for 5 mins. then we hit the bathroom. the reamaining 10 mins. are used for checking the stage for possiable problems etc. we have a band table that is always reserved for us and people come over and sit down for a few mins. to chat with us. You can see there really isn't much time to chat but we sure like to when we can!

Originally posted by ellwood:

Good question: this is how we work it, we play 45 on an 15 off, when we go on break we get together for 5 mins. then we hit the bathroom. the reamaining 10 mins. are used for checking the stage for possiable problems etc. we have a band table that is always reserved for us and people come over and sit down for a few mins. to chat with us. You can see there really isn't much time to chat but we sure like to when we can!

I suspect though there are probably many variations, this falls into two camps.

Sounds like you guys fall in the first one, sounds like you play out quite a bit, in which case I am guessing though friends and family show up, that often the most folks out in the audience are strangers. Seems like you wouldn't then be ignoring anyone if you did have the time on break, if you talked with "fans".

Other camp, is folks that aren't getting that many gigs yet, play out seldom enough that it is kind of a big deal, so all friends and family and coworkers show up. So when you then take a break, they all want to say "hey, sounded good" and all..(usually wupportive wives, understanding folk, that have helped you get to this stage too), meanwhile some body from the audience wants to tell you what they thought, ask you about music, etc.

I've been on the other side too...but it is not often, and always where I am just wanting to quickly say "you sound really GREAT! Thanks!" and no expectations about conversation more than that unless they really seem interested in talking music.

I have had this happen a few times, and never feel like I handled it well...either seeming to ignore loved ones, or "fans", and feel like I bungle it enough that probably BOTH are offended.

Just wondered how you guys all coped with that.

Even with your short breaks, I guess at the end of the night the same stuff happens though? Unless it is playing right up to closing?

but not in practice."

Well, for us, the shows are all about the people who come to see us.

They're not technically "family," and I'd be lying if I told you that I remember everyone's name, but my bandmates all say the same thing:

"We don't have fans--we have friends."

As such, we basically spend every gig hanging out with our friends. We start out screwing around in the club, acting stupid and having fun, and we take it to the stage. After that, we take an appropriate amount of time to pack our gear, get cleaned up, etc, but then we're back, partying and hanging again.

Sure, some of our friends can be a little... um... tedious... at times, but, well... they're just excited about the show. I'd rather have a whole gang of dedicated, hardcore-but-semi-annoying kids around then empty venues.

So... if someone is bothersome, we grin and bear it.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

There is a period of time just before we go up for the first set that is kinda nice, and people do come over then or come up to the stage to chat. Before we start to load out we take 15-20 mins to settle down before we start the actuall break down and we talk to lots of people then, my time then though is taken up usually by business with the manager and the venue management, but the other guys are out there talking.

I don't play out so much anymore, and I'm usually a 'hired gun'. But I usually try to talk to the audience. I start out by going ot the bar at the end of a set. That is a way of inserting yourself in the mix of people without insulating yourself with your friends. Everybody talks to everybody at the bar.

I sort of figured this thing out by watching exSteeler football star Lynn Swan at a charity dinner one night. I watched him work the room, and I realised why people liked him so much, and why he was such a draw at this type of event. I says to myself, "Hmmmm...."

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Originally posted by bpark@prorec.com:

I don't play out so much anymore, and I'm usually a 'hired gun'. But I usually try to talk to the audience. I start out by going ot the bar at the end of a set. That is a way of inserting yourself in the mix of people without insulating yourself with your friends. Everybody talks to everybody at the bar.

I sort of figured this thing out by watching exSteeler football star Lynn Swan at a charity dinner one night. I watched him work the room, and I realised why people liked him so much, and why he was such a draw at this type of event. I says to myself, "Hmmmm...."

Bill

I like that term, "work the room", that is a cool picture. I am not sure I know what it is, except mingling, making sure everyone gets a chance to talk with you, or you talk to them.

I think the exxagerrated version is like the cliche movie guys with the gold chains and shirt open to the navel "hey!" "how YOU doin'?" etc.

But take it back a few notches and maybe that is what working a room is.

The logistics of what you wrote were pretty slick actually. Sitting at the bar, more I think about it is is self limiting too...only so many people can get around/near at a time.

It's just, sometimes one is stressed before playing, and it is nice (for us oldies) just to relax and let it all wash over when we take a break...but don't get me wrong, all good advice here, and I am no hermit. I like talking to people. My wife is great, and she backs me, and knows I care what she thinks...I don't take her or my friends for granted, but it is nice to pay attention to well wishers you don't know too.

I just am never sure what protocol is, or when I am spending too much time on only one small group.

Probably a leftover from my wedding...nobody felt I had given them enough time, when I was more stressed than ever...and tried harder than ever to give everyone some time.

but not in practice."

" Sitting at the bar..."

Right idea, wrong answer. GO to the bar, don't SIT at the bar.

Easy to talk, easy to move, chat , get your drink, someone behind you speaks, you turn, speak to them, and move about the room, stopping at tables...small talk, NEVER sit, keep moving. Don't talk about the band, talk about the audience. You'll recognise return customers. Try to imbed just one little bitty fact abou them in your brain..."say, wasn't your daughter on the swin team? Hows that going...."... anything. They will be flattered. You'll make fans, who may become friends.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Originally posted by BluesWithoutBlame:

Just generally, how much time do you give to people that seem to want to discuss music, your songs, etc. during breaks?

I don't play out on a consistent basis anymore, but when I did; I treated strangers like any decent person should be treated in any conversation (barring the drunken belligerents) .

Just beware of people who are "attention junkies" wit "entitlement issues" who convey a vibe like you are obligated to talk to them for one reason or another.

The thing is, I can turn my "off the wall" switch when I need to, and I would wind up turning those folk off pretty easily just in the first 5 minutes of conversation.

Originally posted by Caputo:

Just beware of people who are "attention junkies" wit "entitlement issues" who convey a vibe like you are obligated to talk to them for one reason or another.

I'll talk to anyone, just as long as they don't "claim" me and aren't (too) drunk (second often leads to first) then it's time for

"bathroom calls..."

"gonna go get me something to drink..."

"gotta go tune my guitar..."

and I'm off ;)

- due to recent cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been SWITCHED OFF

When I was on the road full time, talking to the crowd during breaks was part of the job. It's important to make the crowd feel as though they know the band and the whole thing is a big party. This makes them want to come back and see you the next time you play in town. It boosts beer sales and is just generally good business. We even had a list of the employee's names from each club we played at so they felt special that we remembered. Mind you, there was always the friends we made in each town too.

We had at least one person in each town that we "knew" and would even hang out with.

Going over for dinner, going water skiing during the day and hanging out at their cottage etc.

It was great to have friends in each town that you looked forward to seeing. It gets lonely when you're on the road for several months at a time.

Mostly I've played churches rather than bars, so there are (usually) no drunks present, and they don't bother you while you are playing, and it's no problem to chat with people afterwards.. but they are used to you, and don't make a big deal out of it.

I'm not sure how I'd handle dealing with bar crowds.. I guess it varies quite a bit. I've gone to hear live music and sometimes the musicians have a minute to talk, and sometimes they don't. I'd sometimes go over to chat, but if I sense they don't want to or don't have time, I'd never force myself on anyone.

Musicians are talented professionals and should be respected as such!

I believe that it depends on the situation

If you have an original group and/or vibed out dance/rock cover band, you want to establish some rapport.

However, when I am a hired gun at a gig when the band is either glorified wallpaper or hired for ambiance, that is WORK, man !

I am on the job, and i like to take a break AWAY from people

I think people trip hard on the "mystique" behind movie stars/musicians/athletes.

Look, these folks are doing their job just like a chef at a 5 star restauraunt or a mechanic at a garage.

After a meal, or after the dude fixes my car, I am not trying to get an autograph or strike up an intimate conversation, etc . . . with the chef or the mechanic.

A simple, "Great meal" OR "man, the engine sounds great" will do just fine

"Great Music" , "You guys sound good"

I guess the rules change sometimes when a hot young lady enters the picture.

Kind of tough to have a uniform procedure in those situations

How about, "great mystique, man"??

Followed by, "can I touch you.. I will never wash my hand again..." You have to wonder, did this guy wash his hand BEFORE??

I saw a movie where Garth and the other moron kneeled before Aerosmith saying, "We're not worthy.." and Steve Tyler told them, "You're worthy! Get up!!"

But my mechanic, on the other hand.. is a true wizard... to keep my old clunker running, it takes a miracle worker!

...After a meal, or after the dude fixes my car, I am not trying to get an autograph or strike up an intimate conversation, etc . . . with the chef or the mechanic...

Makes me think of that Peyton Manning TV commercial. :D

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Well I`m a people person although I don`t always want to be. it`s difficult for people to move around in some clubs so it`s nice if you can get to their corner, even just to say hi what`s up.

I prefer to do as much of that BEFORE the show or during breaks as possible. I don`t like the idea of floating around mingling and trying to keep an eye on the packdown at the same time-that`s when things have a habit of disappearing. It almost happened to Allan Holdsworth`s band right in front of my eyes, my friend helped save one of Chad Wackerman`s drums.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

I believe that it depends on the situation

If you have an original group and/or vibed out dance/rock cover band, you want to establish some rapport.

However, when I am a hired gun at a gig when the band is either glorified wallpaper or hired for ambiance, that is WORK, man !

I am on the job, and i like to take a break AWAY from people

I think people trip hard on the "mystique" behind movie stars/musicians/athletes.

Look, these folks are doing their job just like a chef at a 5 star restauraunt or a mechanic at a garage.

After a meal, or after the dude fixes my car, I am not trying to get an autograph or strike up an intimate conversation, etc . . . with the chef or the mechanic.

A simple, "Great meal" OR "man, the engine sounds great" will do just fine

"Great Music" , "You guys sound good"

I guess the rules change sometimes when a hot young lady enters the picture.

Kind of tough to have a uniform procedure in those situations

I don't agree at all. I don't know how many garages you've been to, but great mechanics have celebtrity status among those that are into cars, as do great chefs.

AND, I don't know how much time you've spent in garages, but in most of them I've been in (and I didn't see you there :) guys LOVE to come in and talk cars, engines, technique, JUST as much as a guy that wants to tell you about his guitar at home. In exactly the same manner too.

Guys especially, like to be "in the know" of whatever the subject is.

I agree too though, some jobs are wallpaper and then you have to "know your place" as hired help. Other places you are the main attraction and have to know your place as "entertainer".

Women are attracted to celebrity (and celebrity can be as low-key as the center of attention for a group of people), and guys either like to challenge it, or rub elbows with it...or at least show they know " a thing or two" about it.

There is some more mystique about musicians, etc. maybe..for some. AS you said, but those others DO get their share of celebrity, it just is less obvious.

but not in practice."

To Blues Without Blame:

Thanks for the input... yes it's true, I was never into cars myself, but I have often heard guys talk who were... and I like to watch cooking shows on public TV, and they certainly think of themselves as artists!

To Sasquatch 51:

I don't have a lot of spare change at the moment (car and dental expenses) but I could send you a buck or two... postpaid of course!

(This is just chopsbusting...)

I don't agree at all. I don't know how many garages you've been to, but great mechanics have celebtrity status among those that are into cars, as do great chefs.

AND, I don't know how much time you've spent in garages, but in most of them I've been in (and I didn't see you there :) guys LOVE to come in and talk cars, engines, technique, JUST as much as a guy that wants to tell you about his guitar at home. In exactly the same manner too.

All this is true, and I know great mechanics and chefs.

However, Musicians do 45 minute sets w/ 15 minute breaks (45/15's).

All the talk w/the mechanics/chefs do not happen when they are on the clock, etc . . or on their break.

They are fixing/modifying the cars/cooking meals and don't have time to talk shop when they are on the gig.

Usually this stuff happens at the end of the day or after they have cleaned up

Unless, of course the garage or the restaurant is slow that day . . . .

I have done both and been one of the "mechanic" fans and "chef" fans, but usually it is so busy, I pop my head in and say a simple "thanks".

If they are not busy, they will talk.

All this is true, and I know great mechanics and chefs.

However, Musicians do 45 minute sets w/ 15 minute breaks (45/15's).

All the talk w/the mechanics/chefs do not happen when they are on the clock, etc . . or on their break.

They are fixing/modifying the cars/cooking meals and don't have time to talk shop when they are on the gig.

Usually this stuff happens at the end of the day or after they have cleaned up

Unless, of course the garage or the restaurant is slow that day . . . .

I have done both and been one of the "mechanic" fans and "chef" fans, but usually it is so busy, I pop my head in and say a simple "thanks".

If they are not busy, they will talk.

Gues we've had different experiences is all.

I've worked (as a kid) in garages, and tire places that also repaired, etc..

There are practically "groupies" (just not a good kind) that hang around, pop in almost every day, and lots of mechanics that "hold court" while working away. I never worked in a kitchen so I don't know about that.

but not in practice."

When I was a teenager I used to love going into rehearsal spaces and just sitting there all afternoon, watching the bands rehearse.

Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

When I was a teenager I used to love going into rehearsal spaces and just sitting there all afternoon, watching the bands rehearse.

Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

Archived