Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitar / Bodily Accidents

Tone Taster

I was jumping up and down on a smooth wood floor at a gig at a Bennigan's after hours.

I had just bought my PRS and was all psyched up.

All of a sudden, when i landed, both feet swung back and gave way, and my upper torso/face was racing to the ground.

I braced myself w/both forearms and popped back up, managing to only have the headstock tap the ground.

I was able to make it back to the mic and hit the backups on the chorus, and we were doing one of our heavier-duty originals, so it all fit. The only thing that happened was that the guitar went way out of tune, but I kept slamin' the power chords anyway, as it seemed to fit the vibe at the time.

Afterwards, these young guns came up and shook my hand and said , "Killer recovery, dude".

Not even a mention of the music, but recognition of the visual antics.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, I've never had that sort of thing happen to me (this post counts as a bump).

Mind you, I've fallen into the occasional drum kit, I've fallen THROUGH a stage (no biggie, the whole thing was mounted on milkcrates and one of them moved while I was jumping up and down) and I've pulled muscles and crashed into walls and stuff like that.

But I've never veered off the perpendicular to the extent you have! :D

Never fallen onstage, though I have fallen and hurt myself in other contexts.. it ain't fun!

Then again, our bodies are designed to heal themselves, unless you jump off the top of the Empire State Building or something....

I'm not much of a jumper, and actually prefer to play seated... but, of course, that's a PERSONAL problem!

Originally posted by Caputo:

Okay, i changed the title to broaden the scope a little more.

I don't know, but falling through a stage is a BIGGIE as far as I'm concerned. How'd you get out?

It wasn't that hard. The stage was built on milkcrates and there'd be big chunks of plywood lying on top, forming the stage itself.

If, when setting up, you were careless enough to line up the edge of one of the plywood slabs with one of the milkcrates the whole thing could skid and you'd go through the stage.

But it was a drop of only a bit over a foot, it was more of a laugh than anything else. :D It was at a Sydney pub called the Sandringham, I'm sure it's happened to heaps of other guys.

Years ago the band I was playing with got a gig as the "house band" at a hotel lounge. The stage in this place was ridiculously small...I commented to the manager of the place that whoever designed and built it HAD to be smoking crack at the time. We were a 4-piece band and if we put ourselves and our equipment up there, we literally had no room to move. The manager of the hotel insisted that we fit everything and everyone on the stage...he would not allow us to put some of the amps, PA, monitors, etc. on the floor next to the stage. During the sound check (before the manager was there) we set some stuff off to the sides of the stage and had everything worked out. The stage was elevated maybe 18 inches...just enough to break a leg. During the first set the bass player and I both fell off (not at the same time, though), both of us just stepped to the side a little and off the stage we went. Neither of us was seriously hurt. During the break after that first set, we all unanimously decided to pack up and leave..it just wasn't worth it. The manager was PISSED (it turned out the HE was the one that told the contractor how to build the stage), but he allowed us to set some equipment offstage so we would continue playing. We ended up playing that gig for about 12 weeks IIRC, but when we left they owed us for 2 weeks that we never collected.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Originally posted by Sasquatch51:

Years ago the band I was playing with got a gig as the "house band" at a hotel lounge. The stage in this place was ridiculously small...

There was some place in Sydney in the late 1970s where "the stage" was actually the pool table. They'd put wood on top and improvise a stage.

It was before my time, but an Australian band called Mental As Anything have described it in interviews. I guess you could fit at least a drumkit on there?

Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

There was some place in Sydney in the late 1970s where "the stage" was actually the pool table. They'd put wood on top and improvise a stage.

It was before my time, but an Australian band called Mental As Anything have described it in interviews. I guess you could fit at least a drumkit on there?

That's a little more extreme than my experience. :D

This stage was insanely small, though. It would have been just about enough room for a solo acoustic guitar act if he had an amp, PA and a stool. When we got everybody and everything onstage, you could not see the drummer from the front of the stage. It was like something out of an old slapstick comedy movie or something. I think what pissed the manager off was firstly the comment that I made in the beginning and secondly that it was proven that I was right.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

I've played on crowded stages, but never to the point where it was dangerous, except you might trip over someone's cord and damage it and/or you!

The problem was more having someone's speaker blasting right in your ear, and naturally the )(#*)#*@ refuses on PRINCIPLE to turn the )(*#$)*# down even a little, (say from 11 down to 10 1/2)since after all, people in the next county need to hear their playing too!

I guess that's what earplugs are for.. those cases where you are tempted to commit a crime! (A jury of your peers would never convict you though!)

This last gig we have now the one that is going into its 3rd.season,this will be the third New Years Eve we have played for these people. The place we play at and the other three places that are owned by the same management company where looking for ideas for the stage when we first talked to them OH YA!!!

:D:thu: SO We got to put in tons of ideas and even worked with their carpenters and interior decorators. We worded the first month on the floor and after that we are on the best stage I've ever been on with the exception of concert facilities. This was a one in a life time chance to have a say and it is great!! :cool:

I thought the title was about taking a piss or worse...I guess there's always a way to describe taking a dump...

Brilliant...hope the instrument survied as well.

Label on the reverb, inside 1973 Ampeg G-212: "Folded Line Reverberation Unit" Manufactured by beautiful girls in Milton WIS. under controlled atmosphere conditions.

Originally posted by Robman2:

I thought the title was about taking a piss or worse...I guess there's always a way to describe taking a dump...

Brilliant...hope the instrument survied as well.

Defecation/urination/regurgitation stories fit within the nature of the subject matter for this thread.

Those are some accidents. Man !!!

I have, fortunately, never soiled myself onstage.. a couple of times I had to make an emergency run to the bathroom!

It's hard to imagine a player so drunk onstage that they would actually vomit.. but I'm sure it's happened! Or maybe it was just the flu....

Hmmm... I once did a two-week tour while I was pretty sick. It started as a throat infection and eventually became a stomach thing.

The weather change between February in Philly and February in Florida... and then February in Northwest Tennessee didn't help.

I dimly recall being onstage somewhere during that tour and feeling a familiar "bubbling" sensation in my gut... and considering the "one-cheek sneak" but realizing that this behavior might end in dire consequences for me (and my pants.)

Longish story short... I took the risk... and paid the price. Yes. I am man enough to admit that I shit my pants (a little) onstage.

It was nasty.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Originally posted by CMDN:

Yes. I am man enough to admit that I shit my pants (a little) onstage.

At what part of the show?

How long did you have to put up with the "squishies in the skibbies" before the show ended or before you were able to change your drawers?

At what part of the show?

How long did you have to put up with the "squishies in the skibbies" before the show ended or before you were able to change your drawers?

The SRI (Shit Related Incident) happened about four songs into a 10-song set. It wasn't pleasant, but I was lucky enough to have access to a fairly clean, semi-private bathroom in the club manager's office after the set. I went to the van, got some fresh trousers and baby wipes (never tour without baby wipes!) and took care of things.

Believe it or not, this whole thing wasn't as upsetting as one might think. I actually laughed about it at the time, and I am kinda giggling about it now as I think about it.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

I am so sorry for even mentioning the other bodily functions...more information then we needed...
Label on the reverb, inside 1973 Ampeg G-212: "Folded Line Reverberation Unit" Manufactured by beautiful girls in Milton WIS. under controlled atmosphere conditions.

SRI might be a good name for a rock band - actually there WAS one called Feces! Somehow I never got around to buying their CD, on the theory that if that's what THEY think of themselves, then they might well be right!

Seriously, names like "Poison" etc. never turned me on - not that you have to call yourselves "Polyanna"....

The Fuggs...arguebly the first lyric driven pre-punk band...

I Feel Like Homemade Shit...

We were playing at venue one night with a fairly high stage (about 5 feet off the ground) which was also kind of shallow. I was standing about 18 inches from the edge with my back almost against my amp.

I had just finished my lead break in Born On The Bayou and reached up to flip the switch back up to the center position on my LP Black Beauty. The strap let go (broke)on the butt end of the guitar. I didn't have my hand on the neck yet to resume playing.

I tried to catch it with my left hand and only managed to have it land right on the strap button with a really loud noise. I grabbed for the strap as the guitar was falling toward the edge of the stage. I caught the strap but it came right off the other strap button and caused the guitar to rotate.

It landed on its back barely on the stage and flipped over to the floor, slid off and landed right on the head with another really loud noise. I took a gainer off the stage and landed basically on my face trying to catch my guitar.

The headstock was broken and I was really bummed out. I played the rest of the night on my LP Custom and my Strat. By the time we knocked off that night I had a big shiner (black eye).

Born on the Bayou

Originally posted by LPCustom:

The headstock was broken and I was really bummed out. I played the rest of the night on my LP Custom and my Strat. By the time we knocked off that night I had a big shiner (black eye).

(Pete Townshend voice): Now THAT'S the fooking definition of rock and roll!!!

But, seriously, sorry about your black beauty...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Tedster Claus:

Originally posted by LPCustom:

(Pete Townshend voice): Now THAT'S the fooking definition of rock and roll!!!

But, seriously, sorry about your black beauty...

Heh, when I got home my wife thought I'd been in a fight. She wouldn't believe that I got the shiner from trying to catch my guitar until I showed her the guitar.

That old black beauty is kind of like the dogs I used to have. I miss them but I don't lose any sleep over it. That was nearly 20 years ago, now (1987).

Born on the Bayou

• 1 month later...

Another One:

I had this gig Downtown, and it was the weekend they first started blocking the streets off w/Barricades, so I was hindered from taking my normal route to my loading spot and parking. Since I was barricaded about 10 yards from the spot, i hopped out of the car and moved the barricade aside. When I went to set it against the lightpole, the folding barricade scisorred shut on my fretting hand middle finger, severly severing major skin.

Since i got there 1' 30" ahead of time, i had time to drive way out of the area to a drug store i knew of to get the fingertip bandaids which only drug stores carry. i had played with them before and knew they worked, but never did a gig with them before.

Anyway, the gig went fine and those bandaids worked fine

Archived