Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

good advice

outlawlebo

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Sasquatch51:

Originally posted by Guitarzan:

that's what i meant.........( Canadians :rolleyes: ) :D

You mean you should play with Canadians?
ya... but not those from Nova Scotia :eek:

Na.. we're just kickin' each other.

Find others who can be a motivation to you but are aware of your abilities and want to let you join in. It's great to play with anyone who makes you stretch your abilities or even better.. your understandings.

There's volumes to be learned by exploring styles other than those you typically migrate to.

It's a lot like golf. You just immediately play up to the abilities of the best member of your group.... or try to.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

I think it's important to remember that, no matter how good you feel you are, there is always more to learn.

I found that a lot of my students would hit a plateau, think they were good and just stop learning.

Always remember that there is someone better then you and that there is always room for improvement in any area.

Originally posted by A String of Lights:

I think it's important to remember that, no matter how good you feel you are, there is always more to learn.

I found that a lot of my students would hit a plateau, think they were good and just stop learning.

Always remember that there is someone better then you and that there is always room for improvement in any area.

This is why (IMHO) it is vitally important to have your students clearly define their goals. Then when they start to approach achieveing that goal, have them reset the goal. If they have a certain level in mind when they start out when they reach that they may have a tendency to call it "finished" psychologically and then they just sort of quit working. If they have a new goal by the time they reach the first one, then they have less of a tendency for that to happen. It's your job as a teacher to make sure that they recognize that they met their first goal and reward themselves for it, but that they have a new goal to strive for.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Originally posted by Guitars are like shoes. But louder.:

Originally posted by Sasquatch51:

Originally posted by Guitarzan:

that's what i meant.........( Canadians :rolleyes: ) :D

You mean you should play with Canadians?
ya... but not those from Nova Scotia :eek:

Na.. we're just kickin' each other.

Find others who can be a motivation to you but are aware of your abilities and want to let you join in. It's great to play with anyone who makes you stretch your abilities or even better.. your understandings.

There's volumes to be learned by exploring styles other than those you typically migrate to.

It's a lot like golf. You just immediately play up to the abilities of the best member of your group.... or try to.

I was wondering.....I was thinking that you might be right, though. I played with some Canadians before and it really made me feel good about myself and my own playing... :D

JUST KIDDING!!!! Don't throw anything....

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Here's a good one, paraphrased from Ty Tabor, guitarist for King's X...

"When choosing bandmates, if you have a choice between one guy who's an excellent player but a bit hard to get along with, and another guy who's an okay player and really cool, ALWAYS choose the cool guy."

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Lots of good advice on this thread. I'm not that good a guitarist myself, but I've seen a lot of this, especially with people practising with distortion. Once I asked a former bandmate to play his scales with a clean sound, and what a difference! Hope he realized what happened himself, but to his defence, I have to say he's a better guitarist now than he was a year ago.

My advice: Try to sing what you're playing, especially when improvising. It will be really difficult at first, but you'll play different stuff, because your fingers are used to some patterns, but it's what's in your mind that's the really good stuff.

And another thing for practising time: practise with your metronome on beats 2 and 4. This is also difficult in the beginning, but it'll help a lot.

- Bob Freebird

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Archived