Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What is the near future of recording formats?

It wasn't long ago I'd be reading reviews in EQ about DAT machines. Now everything is switching to hi-definition cd recorders with editing onboard. (Alesis Masterlink). ADAT? 8MM? HD? Coke? Pepsi? Seven up? Super8? is that the next step? "kodachromeeeee give us the sound we deserve, all without a learning curve oh ya" Seriously (if possible), what's next? Is anything going to be next? Or will it be status quo until they come out with a sampling rate only your dog will be able to appreciate? So many formats, I think I'll buy a new guitar lol

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hard disk. Either stand alone or computer. Tape (analog OR digital) is pretty much on its way out. As far as a umbiquitous format that you'll find everywhere, Pro Tools TDM systems are about as close as you'll currently get. But there's no current "standard" like in the days where EVERY pro studio ran 2" tape. There's plenty of viable HDR systems out there, and pluses and minuses o each. Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA http://members.aol.com/ssanctuary/index.html pokeefe777@msn.com

I think setting a standard for digital is very complicated. Most digital audio systems use HD's (SCSI/IDE/Firewire/USB/whatever) but the file systems themselves vary greatly. For storage, backup & filetransfer both optical (Magneto-optical/CD-R/DVD-Rom/whatever) & tape (DAT/Exabyte/Mezzo/whatever) is still used a lot. I think it would take an platform-independent all-major-manufacturers-involved standards-commitee intitiave like the original MIDI-association from the early eighties to define a free/open and expandable set of atandards. It would make a lot of sense for most users, but I doubt that it will ever happen to the extent required. /Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

One thing's for sure: tape is on the way out. The next big question is whether stand-alone hard disk recorders that are NOT all in one studios and require a separate mixer (Mackie MDR, TASCAM MX, Alesis HD, etc.) can carve out a niche among computer-based systems and all-in-one, VS-style studios.

[quote]Originally posted by pokeefe777@msn.com: [b]Hard disk. Either stand alone or computer.[/b][/quote] I agree, but I can't wait for the day when hard disk is on its way out... I keep reading rumblings of silent hard drives (no moving parts -- generally a glorified RAM card that holds info after shutting the power off), although I don't know of any such devices that are available (or affordable). I wish hardware manufacturers would move in the direction of making a PC *dead silent*. No fans, no noisy hard drives, no running long cables to the closet, etc... Y'know, be able to keep the computer/hard drive in the same room where you're recording. I could do that with a tape-based recorder, but not with a PC (although I'd take a DAW any day over tape).

[quote]Originally posted by pokeefe777@msn.com: Hard disk. Either stand alone or computer. Tape (analog OR digital) is pretty much on its way out. As far as a umbiquitous format that you'll find everywhere, Pro Tools TDM systems are about as close as you'll currently get. But there's no current "standard" like in the days where EVERY pro studio ran 2" tape. There's plenty of viable HDR systems out there, and pluses and minuses of each.[/quote] I agree, although I think stand alone HDR's are going to go away eventually too, unless they start offering systems that are just as cost effective to upgrade and update as computer based systems. Unfortunately most stand alones still are closed systems, you get what you get, and if you're lucky you get full screen editing, or at least the option to incorporate a monitor for that purpose. Computer systems initially may cost more (depends on whether you have to buy a computer or not), but once you have one in place it's normally just a matter of upgrading software and in a lot of cases just changing out I/O boxes to jump to the next level of fidelity. My MOTU 2408 system is that way - when I decide to jump to 24/96 it's just a matter of changing out my I/O box - I don't even have to bother with a new audio card or software. As far as I know, one really can't do that with a stand alone system (might be a couple out there that can now). The biggest problem I have with stand alones is the fact that you are stuck with the number of tracks you get, and typically if you want more, no matter whether you're still in the 44.1/48K or the 96K and above crowds, one still has to replace thier entire system just to get more tracks and capabilities. Again, I started off with a Mac 9500/150 that housed my 2408 system (which was below recommended requirements but I was still able to squeeze 12 tracks out of it) and then later I changed out the processor cards to turn the 9500 into a G3/400 and my DAW capabilities were virtually quadrupled for a mere $250. Sure beats $2500 (or more) if you have to replace the entire system. That being said stand alone HDR's are light years ahead of ADAT's and DA-88's and they will be around for a long time. But sooner or later they will suffer the same fate in the wake of what computers are capable of doing these days.

"Don't say I didn't warn ya.."

www.mp3.com/adamkittle

Archived