Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Are we getting jaded?

Dr. Ellwood

I just saw a comment on another thread that said he didn't get Randy Rhodes? and that Randy sounded like everybody else at the time? OK so the question is: do we as guitar players who listen constantly and very intently get jaded and beginning to not appreciate even well done work by great guitar players. Does it all kinda run together to us anymore?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Perhaps the better we get, the less astounding others seem to be. They're still great, but not other-worldly, and their accomplishments were made by humans, therefore they may be within reach for the extremely focused few. There is no such thing as a born virtuoso. A lifetime of effort and sacrifice goes into a Vai, Satriani, De Meola, MacLaughlin, Gatton, Buchanan, Breau, Benson,..., and the lack thereof yields lesser musicians.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Perspective is everything; when something's either too in-your-face all the time ("can't see the forest for the trees") or too alien to make heads nor tails of ("can't relate to that"), you're just NOT going to "get it"; it's relative and subjective.

Back when he was still around and touring and recording, I liked RR over EVH for hard/heavy guitar; now, with the passing of the years, that's pretty much completely reversed for me. "YMMV". :cool:

Back then, I also didn't "get" Reggae, Funk, a lot of R&B and Soul, some Jazz, Steely Dan; early on, even punk, when it was still new; now I love and "get" a lot of all of the above!

If you pay too much attention to only one style, or a handful of related styles, or "guitar" music, it can be at the expense of others. You'll wind up with blinders on, if you will; real tunnel-vision (and "hearing"). While focus is good, so is cross-reference and cross-pollenization!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Some good points above.

I think some people forget the timeframe and influence of these players. When Randy Rhodes was current, he really brought classical influenced hard rock guitar to the forefront. Eddie has a ton of immitators now (at least he did in the 80's), but when he first came out there was nobody else doing what he did. Things that may sound cliche now were new and fresh at one time...

Year End Sale:

Save 20% on Jam Tracks or Exotica. Save 30% when you buy both. Sale ends December 31.

www.UnderTheGroove.com

Originally posted by UnderTheGroove:

"I think some people forget the timeframe and influence of these players.

Things that may sound cliche now were new and fresh at one time..."

You are correct, sir! That is so true. Jimi Hendrix's and Jimmy Page's stage-playing and trick-bags are good examples of this, too.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

They call me Mr. Knowitall

I will not compromise.

I will not be told what to do.

I shall not step aside.

I have no time to waste.

My mouth it spews pure intellect.

And I've such elegant taste.

They call me Mr. Knowitall.

I sup the aged wine.

Oh I could tell such wonderous tales

if I should find the time.

I must be Mr. Knowitall

For ideas they come in bounds.

I am Mr. Knowitall

So spread the word around.

I am so eloquent.

Perfection is my middle name

And whatever rhymes with eloquent

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Actually, though I liked Randy's playing a lot, his tone (or, IMO, lack thereof) was absolutely grating. Too little note, too much high frequency noise. It took a lot for me to listen to a lot of his stuff at a time when EVH was combining relatively unique style and an amazing tone.

My opinion hasn't changed in 20 years. Great tunes, terrible guitar sounds, IMO.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Yeah Randy's tone was brittle and completely synthetic sounding but it did sound like Randy. It also made Ozzy more identifiable. I think he was a great guitarist with a unique tone. I mean it would have been easy for him to copy EVH's tone.

Personally it isn't the kind of tone I am after but I recognize the era and how it was kind of an early metal tone. It does sound very 'pedal' sounding.

Maybe this is why when I was 14 my friend could get the perfect randy rhoads tone with a Rat Pro Co and a Carvin combo.

I remember reading he ran 2 MXR distortions through a JMP.

Back to the main question: do we get jaded when we hear too much guitar? I do sometimes. When I do, I listen to music that isn't guitar oriented, or watch a movie, even (God forbid) read a book...

or play another instrument.. so that it's fresh when I come back to it. Even if I'm not tired of it, I find myself in ruts sometimes, and that's no fun!

What do the rest of you do?

And yes, sometimes I hold off on buying a CD by some great player if I haven't yet absorbed things I already bought.. so as to experience sensory overload!

Sometimes I wonder how the editors at Guitar Player do it, when they are exposed to so many great guitar players all the time.. and have to deal not only with the sounds on the CD but with the idiosyncrasies of the players.. which is another subject, of course.

I was the one who made the comments about not getting Randy Rhodes. It was in the over rated thread if I remember right. This kind of takes it out of context to say that he wasn't a good player. I just didn't see how he got labled as a guitar god.

I may be a bit jaded, I have to hear something interesting to make the guitar sound fresh. Number one I have to like the tone, it doesn't matter how hard it is to play if it sounds bad. I just didn't care for RR's overprocessed sound. I can barely tell what he is playing. It sounds fast but just a mess of notes that are ill defined. He wasn't unique, even when he first came on the scene it didn't sound new to me. He had some great riffs and solos, but who didn't at that time?

I never understood about RR's being a God either

and how he was suppose to knock Ed aside back in

the day.He was good but like Gruupi said his tone

was mush and couldn't make out what he was playing

half the time. may he rest in peace :)

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Archived