Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My problem with `Guitar Heroes`

skipclone 1

The term, that is...

Every time I hear it, my eyes involuntarily roll heavenward. To me, this just sounds like the most lame, plastic manufactured term-like something Marvel comics would have come up with. It also makes me kind of sad that people, articulate people, just kind of rolled over with their paws in the air and embraced the absurdity. It not only cheapens actual herosim, but puts artists in a category where they don`t belong.

To me ears, adding the term `hero` to anything that doesn`t involve actual danger to life and limb is highly dubious-mainly because it sets people up to expect perfection. If anything, great artists have had more imperfections-and more serious ones-than the general population. It seems to me that `guitar idol` or `guitar inspiration` would be a better idea, without the unrealism that `hero` connotes. I believe that term should be earned, not pasted on the forehead of someone who`s in fact an outstanding artist or performer.

Just my opinion.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think kids coming up have more of a need for "heroes" than adults do.

But for the record there are a lot of musicians I admire and buy their records... not necessarily anything and everything, not being a fanatic collector!

But I can't think of a single musician who has made a major contribution in every style. Lots of versatile players out there, of course!

I guess as I get older I am less able to focus on one or two "heroes" and am more interested in a wider scope of things - as in the obvious that there are millions of musicians out there, and thousands have something of value to offer....

I think you are correct, the word is misused in this case. It may be that when we are very young that the word hero applies to our early sensibilities and is more correct. I like to play obscure album cuts for people who admire certain artists for their HITS. Many times when they cannot identify the artist by a hit record they have a different opinion of the artist?

I looked up the word in the dictionary, and guitar hero is an appropriate term.

Hero:

1. A man distinguished for exceptinal courage, fortitude, or bold enterprise.

2. One idealized for superior qualities or deeds of any kind.

If you want to narrow the definition to some form of danger go ahead, but the word is a bit brouder than that. But your point that should some of these guys be our heroes is a very good question. I used to idolize Jimmy Page, but he was a rotten person from what I have read. Besides the over indulgence on drugs, there are stories of him having a 14 year old girlfriend. How is it that he isn't in jail? Because he played some nice guitar. You could say the same things about alot of musicians and artists, so many popular people feel that the normal rules of society don't apply to them anymore.

Its gotten to the point where we not only look past, but actually condone some of these transgressions. Maybe we should pick our heroes more carefully. I don't have kids, but I imagine teaching them good morals is pretty hard these days. My parents tried really hard to filter what we saw and heard, but it would be impossible today without locking a kid in the house with no TV, radio or internet. Parents still raise good kids, so I guess it can be done, but I am kind of glad I don't have that responsibility.

There was this band named Small Cognito on the Hard Rock A Circuit playing at Dirty Harry's Bar in Key West back in the early/mid 80's and this drunk patron was pounding on the band's monitors.

The Guitarist jumped from the stage and smacked the dude full on right in the kisser with his headstock and took him out.

NOW THAT"S A TRUE GUITAR HERO !!

Originally posted by Caputo:

There was this band named Small Cognito on the Hard Rock A Circuit playing at Dirty Harry's Bar in Key West back in the early/mid 80's and this drunk patron was pounding on the band's monitors.

The Guitarist jumped from the stage and smacked the dude full on right in the kisser with his headstock and took him out.

NOW THAT"S A TRUE GUITAR HERO !!

Now we know where Robert Rodriguez and Antonio Banderas found their inspiration for the opening scene of Desperado! :)

"Spend all day doing nothing

But we sure do it well" - Huck Johns from 'Oh Yeah'

Click to Listen to Oh yeah

Originally posted by Gruupi:

I looked up the word in the dictionary, and guitar hero is an appropriate term.

Hero:

2. One idealized for superior qualities or deeds of any kind.

That definition makes my point for me. It harms no one to distunguish someone FROM others for great ability-Jimmy Page being a reckless jerk doesn`t take away from his contributions to the guitar as a pivotal instrument in a great compositon. For someone to be idealized BY others for the same reason is a bad move, the dictionary makes no judgement on that of course. There`s not much practical value in that definition unles the term `crossword puzzle hero` sounds right to you. Bobby Fischer could be said to be a chess hero, except for the fact that he`s about as close to an asshole as the human form gets.

`Guitar champion` maybe?

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

I ain't no English major or nothing but here's my 2 cents... :)

In addition to the defintions of the word given above, Merriam-Webster provides the following:

"an object of extreme admiration and devotion: Idol"

So in the same sense that a Movie Idol can exist, so can a Guitar Hero.

Here's a quote from Britanica.com and refers to a hero as used in literature:

"Heroes often possess special qualities such as unusual beauty, precocity, and skills in many crafts. Often inclined to boasting and foolhardiness, they defy pain and death to live fully, creating a moment's glory that survives in the memory of their descendants."

So heroes do not have to be perfect and most likely aren't. They just have some special qualities that elevate them above the rest.

Personally, I totally disagree with the original statement. If it weren't for my guitar heros, I probably wouldn't have seen,done,or accomplished as much as I have (still far less than they have, of course). I was basically a loser until I figured out that, not only did I enjoy playing guitar, I actually had the talent and focus to be good at it. Those were life changing moments for me, striving to perform at thier level. I never really thought about who they are at home, I still don't care, because that wouldn't change the impact that they had/have on my life.

Plus, I love Marvel comics! ;)

www.myspace.com/christondre

Eddie Van Halen is my guitar hero.

I was about 13 years old when I heard Van Halen I and it changed my life forever. After that, music dominated my life whether it was playing the guitar or the tuba in high school concert bands.

I'm too old for guitar hero worship now but back in the day, Van Halen was the man! No one could touch him.

Originally posted by Sasquatch51:

Originally posted by rw2003:

Anyone remember this "real" guitar hero?

http://members.aol.com/PaulEC2/kabong.jpg

Isn't that actually QuickDraw McGraw's alter-ego "El Kabong"?
You are correct, sir! But, I will accept both Quick Draw or El Kabong!

Archived