Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

1962 Fender Brown Pro Demo:

Dr. Ellwood

Originally posted by ellwood:

"Caevan, what preamp tubes would be good ones to start out with?"

Y'know, I'd be in the same exact boat as you're in there- I'd have to do some research, readin' up on the 'net, reading through the latest revision of Myles Rose's 'site and his very excellent "Tube Primer" parts 1 & 2 (check on one of his posts for links), asking Myles for his ideas about tailoring the two channels of that specific amp for different gain, dynamic response, and tonal character, checking out the Groove Tubes 'site...

You might want to see what Bruce Egnater (the tech-guy who did the electronic refurbishing of Lee's amp) would use to further tailor and refine the two channels for different takes on vintage Fender sounds; not only tubes, but tweaking of various component-values (and we're talking small, cheap resistors and caps here, totally reversable soldering-iron work). I'd ask Myles about that stuff, too.

I really like the various tubes AND SERVICES AND SUPPORT provided by GT, but please note that Myles will often happily recommend other tube vendors in his posts and on his 'site, as well. AND he'll steer you clear of rip-off artists that he's got wind of, as well! (Check his 'site for more on the latter.)

Check out this thread, for both 'sites and books concerning tubes and tube-amp work:

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/icons/icon2.gif ihategarybettman\'s "Does anyone know of any good amp repair sites..."-thread

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are some great ideas for simple, easy, cheap mods in some of those books referred to on that thread I posted a link to there; I highly recommend that you consider buying one or more or even all of 'em.

I own copies of all four of the ones that I mentioned there; if you want more to go on with any of 'em PM me...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by KPB:

Lee,

Nice tone and nice chops. You've got an excellent band. I can tell from these practice demos that these guys always come to practice ready to play.

Thanks KPB, Ya I am lucky that with both my regular band and this new blues band all the guys pay attention to business.

:thu:

The brown demo 11, nice natural overdrive clean and crunchy. Nice out of Phase Strat Juiciness

I like the white boy funk/blues on the Thrill is Gone

I can really hear the tubes compress naturally

Man, I wanted to hear you rip on that one, though

Do i have to fly to Detroit for that or do i have to book you in Tampa?

Demo 10, you can really hear the amp for what it really is

Nice clean breakup.I like the turnaround. VEry Winter-esque

Hay thanks Caputo..ya well I was trying to get two new guys kinda familiar with how I wanted to do some old blues tunes. The keyboard guy could not make the rehearsal so I just worked with the bass player and drummer. I though it would be easier to pick out the guitar amp tone that way and I been meaning to let the guys hear the finished old amp so... I was thinking it was too rough a rehearsal to put on the SoundClick for guys but what the heck there it is. I dont know if you went back and read the original post but all that you heard had my clean boost Klon Centuar in the signal chain. Glad you liked it though bro. maybe I'll cut loose some on a subsequent rehearsal demo!! :D:thu:

GEZZZ you mean it's 65MB MP3??? how large is it compressed to MP3??? you mean its a 63MB .wav ..right???? you know you have to convert it to MP3 right!!

CAPUTO: if you need a .wav to MP3 converter I think this http://www.soft32.com/download_13300.html

is the best one on the market! and you can download it for a free trial!!

Hey, Lee, just got a chance to listen to your demos. That brown Fender sounds really good. The room you guys are playing in seems a good fit for it, too. Are you going to switch between the Fender and your DSL50 between songs during gigs?

Born on the Bayou

Originally posted by LPCustom:

Hey, Lee, just got a chance to listen to your demos. That brown Fender sounds really good. The room you guys are playing in seems a good fit for it, too. Are you going to switch between the Fender and your DSL50 between songs during gigs?

Hay thanks LP! no I think I'm going to just use the old Pro for the blues band thing and the Marshall for the classic rock thing. When I do stereo with the classic rock band I use the Line 6 Flextone with the Marshall. I used to use the Blackface SuperReverb but I'm giving it to my son for this xmas. Ya that room we rehearse in is a good room 18ft. to the peak and all open with old pine walls and heavy carpet.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived