Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

1962 Fender Brown Pro Demo:

Dr. Ellwood

Last Wednesday night I had a rehersal of the new Blues band project we are starting. The keyboard player couldn't make it so I decided that this would be a good time to demo the redone Fender Brown Pro Amp that alot of you guys helped me redo especially Caevan. This was a just get familiar with some material kinda rehersal and I just talked/sang the vocal parts to begin to get somethings together. So whats missing is a horn player and a keyboard guy. This is guitar, bass and drums. I used one of the reissure Strats into the Klon Centaur into the Brown Pro Amp. I think you can get an idea of the tone on it. I used a cassette recorder with two SM57's just sitting in the room to pick up the sound and most of it is done without a PA. Click on SoundClick and look for Brown Pro Demos. a couple of the files didnt make the upload but there are some to listen to. Thanks to everyone that helped me on the amp restoration project with technical help and advice.....LEE

Playing on the demos are :Lee Phillips - Guitar, Bass Robert Mazenkowski, drums Bill Sweeting

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b48/ellwood1/proresize1.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm listening on laptop speakers, but what I hear sounds great. I'm not familiar with the story behind the amp, but it sounds like it has excellent tone (and your playing doesn't hurt!).

Year End Sale:

Save 20% on Jam Tracks or Exotica. Save 30% when you buy both. Sale ends December 31.

www.UnderTheGroove.com

Hi Groove..thanks!well the story behind the Fender Brown Pro is this amp was cut down to make a head only amp many years ago. I got it for helping make some large PA speakers for a guy and got it as payment. It sat in the closet most of the years from about 1970 untill about six months ago. After getting on this forum Caevan said I should restore it and he was so right! I did post some pictures of it when it was completed so just thought I would put up some sound files I wish the fidelity on SoundClick was better the live tone of this old girl is amazing I think.

(UnderTheGroove, it's a freshly restored '63 or so "brownface" Fender Pro Amp (no reverb, but with Presence similar to a "tweed" amp) 1x15 combo.)

Hey, NIIIIIIIICE!!!

Are you using the Klon Centaur 100% of the time (I'm listening to the one that said "for the guys on the forum", etc. on it's description)?

If so, it sounds VERY natural and NOT like an overdrive pedal, just like a cranked Fender, certainly more natural and tubey than the average Tube Screamer pedal and clones.

Either way, nice toneful guitar and amp sounds!

NOW you know why I wanted it if you weren't going to do anything with it! :cool:

Glad you kept and restored it so faithfully, I think that you'll come to love that amp more and more with time. I'll just have to build myself a 'clone' from parts sometime! :thu:

Too many wish-horse projects, too little dough... :D I'll get around to it, I'm famed for that!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Hay thanks Caevan, yes thats the Klon Centuar on about 10 oclock setting and clean boost! ya it is so different than the TubeScreamer it seems that on the old PRO you only have to have the amp up just enough that you start to hear some fullnes then the Klon takes it right over. What I really like is you loose NO dynamics of the natural amp!! and we where NOT playing loud at all! I just thought this was a good setting with no keyboard there so you could hear the guitar amp well. This was an excellant project and I am SO glad you encouraged me to do it or it would still be sitting in the closet!!!!! :D

oh yes and the Klon is on all the time on everyting you hear on SoundClick Ive got some more from that rehersal too as soon as I can figure out why I keep getting upload errors.

Originally posted by EmptinessOFYouth:

sounds awesome man. What scales do i have to learn to play like that? :) . I think i got the speed down but everything i play is usually in the pentatonic 1st or 2nd form.

Real nice though, tone and your playing! Glad your setup worked out for you.

Hi Emptyness! and thanks, well what you hear are mostly major and minor pents and blues scales all forms. There are some modified diminshed scales and variants to them. Speed comes along as just a part of what the song needs and where it needs it and you will just pick it up. Its mostly execution and right hand technique with pick and three fingers up strokes on alot of it, so its down with the pick and up with the three fingers at the same time. I play alot of my stuff within the barred cord positions. Blues are alot of fun for me cuz most of the time I'm playing rock.

Man it sounded good on my cheap ass speakers,very

good Lee. :cool: Sounds like you got that SRV

vibroverb thang going on I'd sho like to try that

baby out. A Diamond in the Ruff or "closet"

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Originally posted by Bluesape:

Love the Strat sound - great chops, and the band sounds real tight! :thu:

Thanks Blue! I'm going to do a recording that includes the keyboard guy pretty soon so ya all can hear him too. Ya it's getting there Im getting used to Richard the newest guy the bass player hes a great player just been playing some kinds of material this is a bit different than I do but its going pretty good. You guys are used to hearing rehearsals so the chatter during the tunes was kinda necessary...

Originally posted by Darklava:

Man it sounded good on my cheap ass speakers,very

good Lee. :cool: Sounds like you got that SRV

vibroverb thang going on I'd sho like to try that

baby out. A Diamond in the Ruff or "closet"

Thanks Lava, I was glad I could get something for you guys to hear and the MP3 format did sound pretty good I think. Yep it does SRV petty well and Albet Collins too one of my favs too. We are still working up more material and got more with the keyboard guy who really adds some nice material. Hay when we take the band out you can come and crank up the old Pro Amp if ya wanna..see ya later Lava

Hey, I'm from Wisconsin. Once the the accent faded a bit it was alright. People finally stopped laughing at me, as if they had room to talk, ya'll.

The blues go over great down here. Just went to a benefit concert for a one-armed harmonica playing blues guy. So come on down.

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Originally posted by caprae:

Hey, I'm from Wisconsin. Once the the accent faded a bit it was alright. People finally stopped laughing at me, as if they had room to talk, ya'll.

The blues go over great down here. Just went to a benefit concert for a one-armed harmonica playing blues guy. So come on down.

Ya would be lots of fun doing some road stuff been along time since I've done that and I do like Georgia.

Nice, warm fat tonefulness there, Lee! I'm sure that for you, the thrill is just beginning there! EVH's contributions to our nomenclature and mythology notwithstanding, you're getting your own brand of "Brown sound" now, aren'tcha? :cool:

Hmmn, can you maybe set up the two channels to sound a tad different- one brighter and leaner like your other clips, and the other darker and fatter like this one- and use an A/B switch to go back and forth? You could even use select preamp tubes in each channel's circuits to accentuate and enhance the different tones, and even go so far as to tweak a few resistor values and the like in their respective tone-stacks (much simpler than it sounds, and safe and COMPLETELY REVERSEABLE).

I think you'll find that this amp can be every bit as versatile as that Marshall, in the long run. I mean, it might not do everything that the Marshall will do, but the Marshall won't do everything that the Fender Pro Amp will do, either, right? I just mean that between knob-dialing, channel-switching, turning your Klon Centaur overdrive pedal on and off, and guitar volume and pickup changes, it'll prove to be eminently useful and versatile on a gig, in spite of its fairly ancient vintage and virtually arcane topology!

Gnarly. And I mean that in the best of ways.

Those are GREAT ideas Caevan and thanks. I am getting used to where to put the middle adjustment relative to the Klon I know there are many possibilities there. On the normal channel the preamp tubes are different than the ones driving the trem channel, so there is where different value preamp tubes would come into play (right??)... I know the sound I got on Thrill is Gone would be one I would want to use for sure and the setting I used on all of the others is another one that I would always like (and the guys like it too) They like this Pro much better than my SuperReverb! SO yes I really like the idea of A/Bing the normal and the trem channel! Thanks again Caevan. OH AND how did ya like the absence of NO reverb! I DO like how it sounds and don't miss it at all in fact Robert and Bill didn't even mention it and they can be very critical of sound.

Yeah, the natural reverb of the room that you- and the rest of the band- are in makes for a good ambience without sounding set apart from the other instruments.

How's the tremolo on that amp, by the way?

OH man I am glad you asked! that tremolo is just fantastic! The one on the SuperReverb is really good for sure but the Pro is just the deepest and most resonant one! Ya and that room does have good natural acoustics has old pine on the walls and VERY high vaulted pine covered ceiling with a 16ft. peak.

Archived