Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kinda OT: My own personal spammer

Kramer Ferrington III.

I've just come back from the local guitar fair. It was a pretty cool event, I guess.

Unfortunately I didn't feel like buying anything and anyway, I got a call on Friday from the bank teling me I was overdrawn by about $900. I have the money in another account so it's not a problem, but I can't transfer money over the phone, so this weekend I'm technically broke.

But I don't NEED anything, you see. All I really want is maybe a Squire tele that I can do up.

Anyway, I went to the fair because I'd already decided to go and also because I got a call yesterday from this guy who is a sort of friend who has recently become a guitar importer.

I can't really hack this guy because he got into importing guitars the same way as he could have gotten into importing shower curtains. He's one of these import/export types who doesn't know jack about guitars. But he THINKS he does, which is a real drag. He comes across as a complete blowhard, which is a real pity. A typical jewel: at a dinner party he insisted on explaining to me that Gibsons are actually made in China.

Anyway, he told me he would be at one of the stands and to be sure to drop in. Some time before, I'd expressed interest in the brand he imports and ever since then he's always on at me about his guitars. And he's always implying that sooner or later I'm going to buy one. I'm not going to go into the brand or any details because that could be socially awkward if it ever gets back to him.

So anyway, I get there and while wandering around, I stumble across his stand (not literally, otherwise I'd be up for a lot of money) and there is the guy, who makes this really big deal over the fact that I'd dropped in and insists on me having a go on all his guitars. It was SO embarassing. He was even starting to throw this kid off an amp so I could play. Cringe factor set to 90. I told him to calm down and let the kid finish and then apologized to the kid.

So anyway, I have a go on a couple of his things and they're nice guitars but hey, a guitar I've neve played before on an amp I've never seen..? it was going to sound like shit and it did.

In the meantime, I've got the guy hovering over me, telling me to go up to the guy that runs the store that's hosting his guitars and praise the guitars to high heaven.

And shit, I'm not Steve Vai. I'm not even Steve Vai's postman... what does it matter whether I like the guits or not? But I have a lot of trouble telling people to f*ck off so I put the axe down, and tell the guy from the shop something like "err... nice guitars".

So the importer comes back to me half angry half disappointed and says "I was expecting a bit more... enthusiasm. Ask him about financing! It doesn't matter if you don't want to buy one, just sound excited!"

I try it again and in a moment of inspiration I said something like "well, there's so many people... tell you what I'll drop round to the shop one of these days and err... have a decent go on the guitars!" and high tailed it out of there. I was in such a hurry to leave that I lost my sunglasses.

Don't know why I'm posting this... I guess it's because it was such an utter bummer running into this guy and also because it was so weird being in a place full of guitars and not wanting any of them. I play baritone anyway, and I didn't notice any on display.

Ever had similar situations? I know it sounds like the complete opposite to Lee's experience in GC, but other than that, what a waste of a Sunday afternoon. :(

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry you day was wasted like that, Vince. We've all walked into shops that cater almost exclusively to the novice and not found anything we'd want to take home, but you went to a guitar event. It should have been a candy store - with a buffet, so to speak!

It's one thing to walk in and out of a pawnshop. At least your expectations weren't betrayed. Were there any guitars at the fair you would have liked?

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Originally posted by Bluesape:

It's one thing to walk in and out of a pawnshop. At least your expectations weren't betrayed. Were there any guitars at the fair you would have liked?

Liked? Yeah, sure. There was that Benedetto New Yorker, and the guy that was selling the Silvertone amp in case, that couple of Rickies and the private guy that was selling a 70s Kramer with the aluminium neck and these very nice hand crafted "split level" jazz boxes with the tuners where the bridge should be and the knobs UNDER the neck joint. And more LPs that I could have shaken a stick at (if that was my idea of a good time).

Affordable..? Uhmm... an Ephiphone studio dot. But that's if I really had to BUY something.

Hey, look at the bright side. You got to go to a guitar show! You should try living in rural America where there are no guitar shows. What a thrill it is when I travel to some of the cities you guys live in and I get to vist a Guitar Center or Ed Romans in Vegas or some such place where I can gawk at all the eye candy. Wow.

Vince, probably time to tell your importer friend to back off. He's way out of line. You are a much nicer person than I because I would have gotten very rude with that man.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

I guess I meant liked within a budget. I can enjoy a car show and ogle Ferarris, Lambos, etc. and not be sorry I attended.

Yeah, so can I. I love going to the annual motorbike salon and "trying bikes on", but that's a bit different because nobody expects you to buy one on the spot.

But guitar shows? I don't know... I feel funny about trying out stuff if I can't afford to buy it.

I will never understand how some women can go into a shop and try on 90 different outfits without intending to buy any of them. I don't have that sort of audacity or whatever it is.

And having the guy insisting that I try his fricking guitars out really gave me the pip. It's a real bugger, that, because sooner or later I will run into him at a party or whatever. Yuk...

EDIT: BBach You're right. I'm being an idiot and I SHOULD look on the bright side. :)

KFIII (I love the name :freak: ) and I used to feel like a real creep whenever I had to talk to friends and family and everybody else about the product I sold. It made for uncomfortable Christmas dinners!

You really need to tell the guy exactly what you think of the product he's importing after checking it out a little more thoroughly, then you can offer him some insight as to what his market really wants (that's if you want to help him). Otherwise, forget about it. If he approaches you to endorse his product, it's totally fair that you should be compensated (free gear, cash, whatever).

Anyways, my 2 cents for what it's worth.

P.S. Shameless self promotion follows... PLEASE click on our link to our website, check out the link that says "CLICK HERE" and vote for us! Many thanks!

-{m}- What's these knobs for?

http://www.martianrebel.com

Originally posted by martianrebel:

If he approaches you to endorse his product, it's totally fair that you should be compensated (free gear, cash, whatever).

I WISH he wanted my endorsement. I'd be probably be a much better guitar player, if I was good enough to endorse stuff.

Instead, he just wants me to make like I'm some sort of bigshot guitar player and tell the store that's selling his brand that, in my opinion, these guitars are fantastic.

Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of sympathy for his brand and they're the sort of thing that I'd probably buy anyway. In my own good time, thank you very muchly.

What I just can't is hack the idea of trying to pass myself off as some important guitarist to people that meet "important guitar players" every week. If there's anything I hate more than lying, is being asked to lie about myself. That's embarassing. :)

It kinda sounds like the guy wants to use you, and in that case, you need to tell him one of two things;

1. "Stop trying to use me to promote your stuff. I am not interested in your guitars and don't want to be associated with them. Frankly, I am unsure that I want to continue to be associated with you, so back off, dude, I'm not your shill."

2. "The guitars are alright, and I will give my endorsement for whatever that's worth. Actually, "what it's worth" is what we need to discuss. You want me to help you make money on your guitars, and that's okay, but if you are gonna use me to make money on the guitars, I want a percentage of what you make. My time and services are not free, and if you're gonna use me to make money, you are gonna pay for the privilege. There ought be at least a free guitar or two on the table, and maybe some cash to boot."

My guess is either way, all you are gonna see of the guy after that is heels and elbows as he runs the other direction, looking for someone else to use for free. If not, maybe you make some money and/or get a free guitar of your choosing. Either way, you are better off...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

It sounds like this guy is less of a friend, and more of an oppotunistic jerk who wants to exploit being acquainted with you. You obviously impress him as a musician, but you don't want to be a fellow con-artist with him in his little game to over-represent yourself or his instruments. I'd be cold toward this guy now, unless he is more of a friend than you've indicated, in which case, a heart to heart is needed.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

It sounds like this guy is less of a friend, and more of an oppotunistic jerk who wants to exploit being acquainted with you....

Yeah, he is. Thanks guys! :D

I agree with the stuff you guys posted, I just felt kinda funny about getting such a bad vibe from this guy. Now I realize it's a normal reaction.

I'm going to make sure I don't have anything much to do with him from now on.

Thanks again.

Archived