Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Odd arrangements for popular tunes

LPCustom

We saw the animated movie Madagascar (Sacha Baron Cohen (Da Ali G Show) as Julien is hilarious) last night.

During the credits roll, they played an instrumental arrangement of Jingle Bells that I have never heard before. I liked it but I'd never heard anything like it before.

What other popular tunes have you guys heard done that were very different from the original but still recognizable arrangements?

(I like to move it, move it. :D )

Born on the Bayou

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by LPCustom:

What other popular tunes have you guys heard done that were very different from the original but still recognizable arrangements?

There was that novelty record from the 80s by a band called Big Daddy (?) it was all doowop arrangements of songs that were on the charts back then. "Switched On Polkas" also comes to mind.

I'm a bit of a fan of "Switched On Bach", but that's not really a NEW new arrangement, is it? I've also heard a nice version of Vivaldi's the Four Seasons on woodwinds. That was quite pleasant.

I have an album of nothing but butchered "Stairway to Heaven" in the styles of:

Early Beatles

Doors

Reggae

B-52's

Spoken word (!)

etc.

I'm also a fan of Dolly Parton's bluegrass version of "Stairway"

Bill Frisell's new live album has a number of tunes such as "Heard it Through the Grapevine" done up Frisell-style. :thu::thu::thu:

Michael Hedges is famous for doing covers in his own, unique style. Among them:

• A Love Bizarre - Sheila E., solo acoustic & voice
  • Come Together - The Beatles, solo acoustic & voice
  • All Along The Watchtower - Bob Dylan/Jimi Hendrix, solo acoustic & voice
  • After The Gold Rush - Neil Young, acoustic & fretless bass (Michael Manring, IIRC.)

Stanley Jordan's version of Eleanor Rigby is definitely an acquired taste, but I love it now. He has plenty more as well.

Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwo`ole's version of Somewhere Over The Rainbow. :thu: (You know, the ukelele/voice version that's been overplayed on commercials the past few years. It was also used for the last scene in 50 First Dates. Man was that perfect scoring!)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by comacoda:

I've heard tell of "Stairway to Gilligan's Island".........Yes they do go together!

I actually heard this once, the theme to Gilligan sung to the melody from Stairway, until LZ squashed it. I also know of another parody called "Hairway To Steven" but I don't think I want to hear it.

Originally posted by Guitar55:

I've heard tell of "Stairway to Gilligan's Island".........Yes they do go together!

I actually heard this once, the theme to Gilligan sung to the melody from Stairway, until LZ squashed it...
How did they squash it? Sounds like a simple parody case to me. LZ can't stop someone from parody-ing their song. Weird Al always gets permission to parody people's songs, but it's about his respect for the creators of a song. He doesn't, legally, have to get anyone's permission so long as he pays the appropriate royalties.

I mixed a comedy showcase here in Nashville in 2000. One of the guys, who was hilarious, sang Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville to the tune of Stairway To Heaven. He had a few others up his sleeve as well.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

How did they squash it? Sounds like a simple parody case to me. LZ can't stop someone from parody-ing their song.

Have you heard the parody? 'Nuff said. You're talking about the almighty Zep here. I guess they found a way.

Hayseed Dixie started off by doing AC/DC songs bluegrass style. They've done a lot of other rock classics in bluegrass fashion. Great stuff! "Prozak For Lovers" is old hard rock classics in mellow lounge lizard style. A friend of mine named Tom Bettini (who used to play bass for Jackyl) had a band named Judas Preacher that did bluegrass, country and gospel standards as hard rock. I love stuff in altered genres!
"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

That reminds me of Brad Paisley's version of Cheap Trick's "I Want You To Want Me". I didn't recognize it at first it's so slow. But it's not really arranged differently. Just much slower and Rick Neilson's blazing guitar parts are really toned down.

Born on the Bayou

How did they squash it? Sounds like a simple parody case to me. LZ can't stop someone from parody-ing their song.

Have you heard the parody? 'Nuff said. You're talking about the almighty Zep here. I guess they found a way.
Haven't heard the parody, but AM Zep or not, they couldn't stop this unless there was something else going on.

You may recall it was the AM Zep who lost the copyright infringment lawsuit against some old blues musicians and were forced to pay out the nost for stealing someone else's song, replacing the lyrics, and making it their own. ;)

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Haven't heard the parody, but AM Zep or not, they couldn't stop this unless there was something else going on.

You may recall it was the AM Zep who lost the copyright infringment lawsuit against some old blues musicians and were forced to pay out the nost for stealing someone else's song, replacing the lyrics, and making it their own. ;)

It may be a case where the parody sampled the original.

I heard a guy do that once. I can do the first part, but I am not sure how the rest of it fits together.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Originally posted by Ricochet:

I love stuff in altered genres!

I had a CD of a local band called Luther Wright and the Wrongs that did Pink Floyd's entire "The Wall" album in country, bluegrass and Honky-tonk style. On the part of Comfortably Numb where the original goes "there'll be no more (Scream!) but you may feel a little sick", they replace the scream with a bull loudly & adamantly mooing.

It is soooo cool...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Dunno who they were, but on a late night radio show this weird, barbituate induced, slow, droning version of Hank William's "Jabalaya" was playing. It was dissonant, yet intriguing.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Anyone ever hear "Hayseed Dixie" (say it fast)

They do hillbilly versions of AC/DC (say it slow)

They're fantastic! Used to be called AC/Dixie, but although the AC/DC guys like them (have even brought them onstage at concerts to play), their record company quashed the name over trademark and they switched to Hayseed Dixie.

Great stuff, either way.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I've got the Duo Tones doing an album of surf music with just two acoustic guitars. Its quite fun to listen to.

I also have Linda Rondstad singing Queen's "We Will Rock You" as a baby's lullabye.

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

Originally posted by LPCustom:

[qb]

There was that novelty record from the 80s by a band called Big Daddy (?) it was all doowop arrangements of songs that were on the charts back then. "Switched On Polkas" also comes to mind.

QB]

Damn you Vince/Kramer look what you've done! Today I walked into a 2 Dollar shop(shops that are full of cheap Asian stuff and factory rejects)and found the Big Daddy tape, cheap as chips. Now I'm hooked! This is great stuff.I like their use of inapropriate arrangements, like Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice to the tune of Johnny B Goode and Welcome to the Jungle to the tune of Wimoweh. You can never get enough novelty records! :thu:

Archived